[comp.sys.amiga] Need info on AmigaTEX

128a-3db@e260-3b.berkeley.edu (Jonathan Dubman) (04/12/89)

We're interested in producing documents that include mathematical symbols and
are interested in AmigaTEX by Microsmiths.  Preferably we could draft the
document on the Amiga and then upload the source to a UNIX account for
printing on the laser printer.

Questions:
	1.  Is AmigaTEX source compatible with UNIX TEX?
	2.  Can AmigaTEX print draft copies on a dot matrix printer
		hooked up to the Amiga?
	3.  Can AmigaTEX produce PostScript output?
	4.  General impressions of AmigaTEX- is it a solid product?

Thank you very much-
	-Jonathan Dubman

erickson@cbmvax.UUCP (Lee Erickson) (04/12/89)

in article <22940@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, 128a-3db@e260-3b.berkeley.edu (Jonathan Dubman) says:

> We're interested in producing documents that include mathematical symbols and
> are interested in AmigaTEX by Microsmiths.  Preferably we could draft the
> document on the Amiga and then upload the source to a UNIX account for
> printing on the laser printer.
>
> Questions:
> 	1.  Is AmigaTEX source compatible with UNIX TEX?
> 	2.  Can AmigaTEX print draft copies on a dot matrix printer
> 		hooked up to the Amiga?
> 	3.  Can AmigaTEX produce PostScript output?
> 	4.  General impressions of AmigaTEX- is it a solid product?
>
> Thank you very much-
> 	-Jonathan Dubman
The answer to ALL of your questions is a definate YES!  I am VERY happy
with AmigaTEX.  It produces GREAT output on my HP DeskJet printer.  You
could just use the previewer on you Amiga, and then print it on your
other system.

--
Lee Erickson - not working with,       uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!erickson
or in any way officially representing  arpa: cbmvax!erickson@seismo.css.GOV

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (04/12/89)

In article <22940@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> 128a-3db@e260-3b.berkeley.edu (Jonathan Dubman) writes:
>We're interested in producing documents that include mathematical symbols and
>are interested in AmigaTEX by Microsmiths.  Preferably we could draft the
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
AmigaTeX is put out by Radical Eye, e.g. Tomas Rokiki (I can't spell).
>document on the Amiga and then upload the source to a UNIX account for
>printing on the laser printer.
>
>Questions:
>	1.  Is AmigaTEX source compatible with UNIX TEX?
	    AmigaTeX is a port of C-TeX which is a translation of the
            original Knuth code.  Yes it is compatible in the
            sense that your TeX file will be typeset the same as the UNIX TeX.

>	2.  Can AmigaTEX print draft copies on a dot matrix printer
>		hooked up to the Amiga?
            Yes, you need to buy a driver from Radical Eye to run your printer.

>	3.  Can AmigaTEX produce PostScript output?
            I don't think so, but there may be drivers for PostScript
            printers.  AmigaTeX comes with a previewer that is fantastic.
            (I only have a demo version, but I am quite impressed and
            would love to find the $$$ to purchase AmigaTeX.

>	4.  General impressions of AmigaTEX- is it a solid product?
            Even though I only have a demo, I consider it a solid
            product.  I have used TeX more than any other word processor
            and love it.

>Thank you very much-
>	-Jonathan Dubman
Bill Murphy

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (04/13/89)

(Jonathan Dubman) writes:
> We're interested in producing documents that include mathematical symbols and
> are interested in AmigaTEX by Microsmiths.  Preferably we could draft the

Actually, AmigaTeX is by Radical Eye Software, Box 2081, Stanford, CA~~94309.

> document on the Amiga and then upload the source to a UNIX account for
> printing on the laser printer.

This would work very nicely.

> 	1.  Is AmigaTEX source compatible with UNIX TEX?

Absolutely.  (The TeX source, that is, not the program source.)

> 	2.  Can AmigaTEX print draft copies on a dot matrix printer
> 		hooked up to the Amiga?

Again, yes, with the appropriate AmigaTeX Dot-Matrix driver.  For
superior output, a 24-pin printer or DeskJet is highly recommended.

> 	3.  Can AmigaTEX produce PostScript output?

Yes, with the separately available AmigaTeX Laser drivers.

> 	4.  General impressions of AmigaTEX- is it a solid product?

It's been solid for over two and a half years now . . .

> Thank you very much-
> 	-Jonathan Dubman

Thank you!  For a free demo disk, please write to the above address.

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (04/13/89)

In article <22940@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> 128a-3db@e260-3b.berkeley.edu (Jonathan Dubman) writes:
>We're interested in producing documents that include mathematical symbols and
>are interested in AmigaTEX by Microsmiths.  Preferably we could draft the
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^
Actually, it's by Radical Eye Software (last I knew), Box 2081, Stanford,
CA  94309 (I don't have the phone number handy).  Tomas Rokicki is
responsible for it.

>document on the Amiga and then upload the source to a UNIX account for
>printing on the laser printer.

I do this all the time with our VAX/VMS system.

>Questions:
>	1.  Is AmigaTEX source compatible with UNIX TEX?
AmigaTeX is a full implementation of standard TeX, source compatible with
any other version that is really TeX--otherwise, I don't believe Tom would
be allowed to call it TeX.

>	2.  Can AmigaTEX print draft copies on a dot matrix printer
>		hooked up to the Amiga?
>	3.  Can AmigaTEX produce PostScript output?
AmigaTeX by itself produces a device independent .dvi file, just like any
other version.  Radical Eye sells device drivers for a wide variety of
dot matrix printers and postscript.

>	4.  General impressions of AmigaTEX- is it a solid product?

Absolutely.  It's a solid implementation of TeX which runs very nicely on
the Amiga.  The previewer is great, and the support is excellent.  An
excellent product.

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell U.