[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga On TV , film at 11

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (03/25/89)

[NULL]

I just caught the opening episode of the new PBS Mystery series
"Game, Set, and Match". The story revolves around a paranoid British
Intellegence agent who is to go to East Berlin to help bring out one
of their top operatives. In one scene, Bernard Samson goes down to the
basement vaults where the computers are kept, and requests a disk which
is supposed to have the profile of the german agent. The women hands him
a blue 3 1/2 disk, he prompltly slips it into an Amiga, the computer of
choice for British Spies.

The display had several windows displaying a picture of the agent and
personnel details.

This was the A1000 by the way.

mike

I wonder what computers the KGB users? Probably MSX machines. . .

          *** mike (cerbral GURU, insert M&Ms to restart) smithwick***
"Oh, I'm just a NOP in the instruction set of life, oh, ohhhh, hmmmmm"

[disclaimer : nope, I don't work for NASA, I take full blame for my ideas]

dooley@helios.toronto.edu (Kevin Dooley) (03/26/89)

I was watching Much Music (the Canadian version of MTV) the other day
when I happened to notice that, on their game show "Test Pattern",
the music is done by one guy sitting in the corner with a pile of
Casio toys (Casio sponsers the show).  Then I noticed that there
was an Amiga 1000 tying all those toys together!  I have a strong
suspicion that a great deal is done with Amigae on this network,
but this was my first visual evidence.

--
 Kevin Dooley         UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!dooley
 Physics Dept.        BITNET - dooley@utorphys

brant@alberta.UUCP (Brant Coghlan) (03/27/89)

In article <23052@ames.arc.nasa.gov> mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) writes:
>[NULL]
>
>I just caught the opening episode of the new PBS Mystery series
>This was the A1000 by the way.

The show after "Game, Set and Match" also used Amiga 1000's.  Yes, on
Motorweek a A1000 was visable in the background (with the amiga's label
covered with tape).  The show also had some graphics which looked like
the work of "The Director" and "DPaint II".

	The amiga may have also been used on "War of the Worlds" this week.
There was a sequence of Videoscape-like animation of an alien ship and
the Amiga has been seen on the show before.  The joke is that the animation
was supposed to have been generated on a supercomputer.

	Remember, keep watching the skies (and the TV)....
-Brant

--
 Brant Coghlan	(career student)  (403) 487-3619     ...!alberta!brant
 Dept. of Comp. Science, 615 GSB, U of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (03/28/89)

In article <2168@pembina.UUCP> brant@pembina.UUCP (Brant Coghlan) writes:
[...]
>	The amiga may have also been used on "War of the Worlds" this week.
>There was a sequence of Videoscape-like animation of an alien ship and
>the Amiga has been seen on the show before.  The joke is that the animation
>was supposed to have been generated on a supercomputer.

Now I'm confused.  Isn't the Amiga super?

Certainly mine is a lot more fun than the IBM 3090-600's at the Cornell
National Supercomputing Facility :-).

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)

jafo@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Sean Reifschneider) (03/28/89)

>The show after "Game, Set and Match" also used Amiga 1000's.  Yes, on
>Motorweek a A1000 was visable in the background (with the amiga's label
>covered with tape).  The show also had some graphics which looked like

Whywhywhy do they do this.  I saw it on "Our House" last week.  Part of the
story was that one of the male children was in the Computer Club at school,
and they had Amigas, as well as some other computers.  He used the Amiga
(Lable covered with tape) to digatize some pictures and add some text to make
a book.  He printed them out on a laser printer (color even) what sounded
like a dot-matrix printer <sigh>.

Why do they cover the Amiga lable with things???

Sean

jacobson@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (03/28/89)

Speaking of Amiga's on TV show's. Saturday night on the police show Hunter
the police were getting tapes made by a computer voice synthesizer. The
technician said to hunter that the voice synthesizer either had to be IBM,
Amiga or Apple. Even Hollywood now recognizes the Amiga as a regular PC
that people use. Rather than just the main two (IBM or Apple) now Amiga
is getting recognized. Trivial perhaps, but a sign of the increasing
success of our favorite PC (By the way it was not an Amiga, looked like
a MS-DOS system of some sort-but what it was was not clearly shown).

Russ Jacobson
jacobson@uiucuxe
jacobson%uiucuxe@a.cs.uiuc.edu
jacobson%uiucuxe@uiuc.csnet
[ihnp4,pur-ee,convex]uiucdcs!uiucuxc!uiucuxe!jacobson

toweri@clinet.FI (Jukka Lindgren) (04/10/89)

In article <5500025@hpfcdc.HP.COM> jafo@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Sean Reifschneider) writes:
>>The show after "Game, Set and Match" also used Amiga 1000's.  Yes, on
>>Motorweek a A1000 was visable in the background (with the amiga's label
>>covered with tape).  The show also had some graphics which looked like
>
>Whywhywhy do they do this.  I saw it on "Our House" last week.  Part of the
>story was that one of the male children was in the Computer Club at school,
>and they had Amigas, as well as some other computers.  He used the Amiga
>(Lable covered with tape) ...
>
>Why do they cover the Amiga lable with things???
>
>Sean

Possibly, because they haven't had any (or good enough) deal with
Commodore-Amiga to advertise this particular computer.
Surely they wouldn't give any free PR for any computer, which they have
to buy from ordinary shop with hard currency, instead of having one/some
from the manufacturer free.

Surely you have seen all the Amigas in the Miami Vice...!?

	-=toweri=-
--
= VOICE: + 358 0 571789              || Any opinions expressed contain        =
= EMAIL: toweri@clinet.UUCP          ||     * The Absolute Truth *            =

840445m@aucs.UUCP (Mic Mac) (04/11/89)

I was watching Much Music (Canadian MTV) the other day.  They have a gameshow
the name of which I can't quite remember.  But anywho, five time winners on the
show receive an Amiga 1000.  It showed a picture of it and everything.  I am
told that MM uses quite a few Amigas for their production.  Anybody care to
confirm this?

--
% Alan W. McKay     %                                             %
% Acadia University %   " The world needs more Socrates           %

mike@nixba.UUCP (Mike Lyons) (04/13/89)

There's a program here in West Germany (home of the A500 and A2000) called
(I think) "Computerbox," which is apparently sponsored by Commodore-Amiga.
They had a demo of some MIDI stuff a while back, clearly running on an Atari ST
...with an Amiga monitor!!! Of course, one could see the word "Amiga" in full
glory on the monitor's panel, but the *ST's mouse had the Atari symbol taped

I'm an Amiga fan, but find that BOGUS IN THE EXTREME.

Michael D. Lyons 		phone: +49 911 6415 609
Nixdorf Computer AG 		fax:   +49 911 6415 105
Geschaeftstelle fuer BA 	e-mail: mike@nixba.uucp
Donaustrasse 36
D-8500 Nuernberg 60
Federal Republic of Germany