[comp.sys.amiga] High pitch noise from 1084

870646c@aucs.UUCP (Barry Comer) (04/09/89)

Has there been a problem with the 1084 monitors making a high pitch noise
until they warm up(for about 3 mins after starting up)? And if so what can
be done to fix it?

Later
Barry Comer 870646c@aucs.UUCP

840445m@aucs.UUCP (Mic Mac) (04/11/89)

In article <1763@aucs.UUCP> 870646c@aucs.UUCP (Barry Comer) writes:
>Has there been a problem with the 1084 monitors making a high pitch noise
>until they warm up(for about 3 mins after starting up)? And if so what can
>be done to fix it?

Consider yourself lucky.  My monitor does this all the time. (1080 monitor).
Come to think of it, don't all monitors do this to some extent?
--
% Alan W. McKay     %                                             %
% Acadia University %   " The world needs more Socrates           %

beh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Bob Hruska) (04/11/89)

From article <1763@aucs.UUCP>, by 870646c@aucs.UUCP (Barry Comer):
> Has there been a problem with the 1084 monitors making a high pitch noise
> until they warm up(for about 3 mins after starting up)? And if so what can
> be done to fix it?
>
> Later
> Barry Comer 870646c@aucs.UUCP

I've been getting the exact same high pitch - only it occurs intermitently
the whole time the monitor is on.  I'm also looking for a fix.

--
Bob Hruska   University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network (CAEN)

INTERNET: beh@caen.engin.umich.edu
    UUCP: {umix|ucbvax|uunet}!caen.engin.umich.edu!beh

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (04/12/89)

It's the flyback transformer oscillating at a near ultrasonic frequency.
A lot of them tend to do this after a while, I believe that something on
the inside gets the tiniest bit loose.

My solution is to whack the terminal on the side. I don't recommend
you to it to yours.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                         sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet
***  What, me worry?                    {backbone|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

bah@tippy.uucp (04/12/89)

The high pitched sound (usually intermittant) that you hear is usually
caused by the pincushion transformer vibrating. Replacing it generally
is the only way to stop it. It's a small transformer in the horizontal
sweep section, and costs' about $8.00.

     Bob Hahn        tippy!bah@newton.physics.purdue.edu

stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (04/12/89)

In article <11474@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>It's the flyback transformer oscillating at a near ultrasonic frequency.
>A lot of them tend to do this after a while, I believe that something on
>the inside gets the tiniest bit loose.
>
>My solution is to whack the terminal on the side. I don't recommend
>you to it to yours.

Back..  wayyyyyy baaack when  ;')   I used to work on T.V.'s and
electrostatic copiers etc.  Anything that squealed (like flybacks,
coils etc.) we just drooled some super-glue down into the windings,
if they were exposed (alot of flybacks are sealed up) and let it dry
good before turning it on again (oh yeah, turn it off first).  Of
course try tightening down any mounting hardware first.  The glue would
hold those little vibrating windings solid and... no more squeal!!!

DISCLAIMER:  If you try this, and it trashes your monitor, don't flame
             me !   All I know is, it worked wayyyyyy baaack when 8^)

-

             Stan Fisher        asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan
  Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona -  (602) 438-3228

ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Ranjit Bhatnagar) (04/13/89)

>Back..  wayyyyyy baaack when  ;')   I used to work on T.V.'s and
>electrostatic copiers etc.  Anything that squealed (like flybacks,
>coils etc.) we just drooled some super-glue down into the windings,
>if they were exposed (alot of flybacks are sealed up) and let it dry
>good before turning it on again (oh yeah, turn it off first).  Of
>course try tightening down any mounting hardware first.  The glue would
>hold those little vibrating windings solid and... no more squeal!!!

Yow!  Test it on some scrap of wire first - if you pick the wrong
glue, the solvent will take the lacquer off the wire, and that would
be bad.  Superglue probably wouldn't, but who knows...

Speaking of 1084's, if I wanted to replace the COMP-CHROMA-RGB switch
with an electronic switch of some sort (I use my 1084 for watching
TV, and I'm worried about wearing out that big clunky mechanical
switch), what kind of switch do I need?  Something shielded?
Something with high power capacity?  Something guaranteed to
break-before-make contact?  A nice relay, a couple of FET's, or
what?

	-- ranjit

"Trespassers w"   ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	mailrus!eecae!netnews!eniac!...
	I'd be calling all the hotlines/I'd be missing all my deadlines
	I'd be standing in the breadlines/I'd be six feet underground