[comp.sys.amiga] ZIP archive format for the amiga?

amiga@athena.mit.edu (MITAUG Staff) (04/01/89)

[Burp ...]

Well;  I've been poking around some bbs's that contain alot of IBM
files (Yuck, I cleaned by keys when I was done) and most of them seem
to use a ZIP format.  Now, is there a utility that unZIP's these files
on the amiga?  While I'm at it are there any that will undo SIT and
PIT files?

thanx

Ric Carreras

carreras@lees.mit.edu

disd@hubcap.clemson.edu (Gary Heffelfinger) (04/02/89)

From article <10244@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, by amiga@athena.mit.edu (MITAUG Staff):
> Well;  I've been poking around some bbs's that contain alot of IBM
> files (Yuck, I cleaned by keys when I was done) and most of them seem
> to use a ZIP format.  Now, is there a utility that unZIP's these files
> on the amiga?  While I'm at it are there any that will undo SIT and
> PIT files?

I haven't seen one yet, but the author of ZIP made provision for it.
It looks like the archive file that ZIP creates contains information about
which machine it was created on.  One of the valid values is for Amiga.

I think PKWARE is the creator of ZIP.  You may wish to contact them.

PIT and SIT files on Amiga?  Why? :-)

Gary

--
Gary R Heffelfinger   -  disd@hubcap.clemson.edu
"If it should become necessary to fight, could you arrange to find me

gregmarq@pnet02.cts.com (Greg Marquez) (04/02/89)

        A friend of mine (Gregg Tavares) downloaded the source for IBM UNZIP,
tweaked it a little, and got it to work.  We don't have the ZIP maker source,
though. . .
     UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!gregmarq
     INET: gregmarq@pnet02.cts.com
FOR REALS: Richard G. Marquez ("Greg")
           Echidna Software               \|//   Echidna - The best little
           3501 Jasmine Avenue #15       _oo //    monotreme money can buy.
           Los Angeles, CA  90034
          'Cause when love is gone, there's always justice.
            And when justice is gone, there's always force.
            And when force is gone, there's always Mom.
						- Laurie Anderson

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (04/04/89)

From article <4977@hubcap.clemson.edu:, by disd@hubcap.clemson.edu (Gary Heffelfinger):
: From article <10244@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU:, by amiga@athena.mit.edu (MITAUG Staff):
:
: I haven't seen one yet, but the author of ZIP made provision for it.
: It looks like the archive file that ZIP creates contains information about
: which machine it was created on.  One of the valid values is for Amiga.
:
: I think PKWARE is the creator of ZIP.  You may wish to contact them.

	I downloaded the Amiga version of UnZIP from Plink just this
weekend... Do it should be showing up on a board near you RSN...

: Gary R Heffelfinger   -  disd@hubcap.clemson.edu
: "If it should become necessary to fight, could you arrange to find me
:      some rocks to throw at them?"   W.T. Riker
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent!blowpig!billsey

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (04/07/89)

In article <1437@agora.UUCP>, billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) writes:
> From article <4977@hubcap.clemson.edu:, by disd@hubcap.clemson.edu (Gary Heffelfinger):
> : From article <10244@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU:, by amiga@athena.mit.edu (MITAUG Staff):
> :: Well;  I've been poking around some bbs's that contain alot of IBM
> :: files (Yuck, I cleaned by keys when I was done) and most of them seem
> :: to use a ZIP format.  Now, is there a utility that unZIP's these files
> :: on the amiga?  While I'm at it are there any that will undo SIT and
> :: PIT files?
> :
> : I haven't seen one yet, but the author of ZIP made provision for it.
> : It looks like the archive file that ZIP creates contains information about
> : which machine it was created on.  One of the valid values is for Amiga.
> :
> : I think PKWARE is the creator of ZIP.  You may wish to contact them.
>
> 	I downloaded the Amiga version of UnZIP from Plink just this
> weekend... Do it should be showing up on a board near you RSN...

Is there a UNIX version of ZIP?  I have been using ZOO mainly
because I can easily port files between IBM, UNIX and my Amiga.

> : Gary R Heffelfinger   -  disd@hubcap.clemson.edu
> : "If it should become necessary to fight, could you arrange to find me
> :      some rocks to throw at them?"   W.T. Riker
> --
>      -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
>                                ...tektronix!sequent!blowpig!billsey
>      Creative Microsystems   Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes
>      (503) 691-2552          (503) 656-7393 BBS       (503) 640-0842

--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh

ba@m-net.UUCP (Bill Allen) (04/13/89)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: SCSI interfaces

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: ZIP archive format for the amiga?

or call Sharewarer's BBS at 313-473-2020 24hrs, PCP thru MIDET, 100% Amiga