[comp.sys.amiga] The `S'' bit, was

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (04/13/89)

In article <13240016@hprmokg.HP.COM> alh@hprmokg.HP.COM (Al Harrington) writes:

>One problem with this.  When you edit a file (I was using 'vi' from Manx C)
>and save it the 's' bit is removed.
>
>What a pain!

Many programs that I run are actually scripts that do something
and then run the program in question.

For example, on my system, I have a script called ``vi'' that
does a ``run ivi'' (INTERNAL vi) so it doesn't obliterate
what I have currently on the screen; it opens up a new
window. I do a similar thing for dpaint - the script does
an assign to a fonts directory that I use for dpaint, as
opposed to font directories that I use for other things.

So I suppose what you would need to do is make a script
that checked for the S bit (no idea how, you may have
to write a program) and then conditionally set it after
editing the file in question.

Oh yeah, another thing my vi script does is create an icon
for any file I edit so I can click on it to run _more_
on it. As, ahem, icons became usefull after  got a harddisk.

--
       ``Parents who have children, have children who have children''
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV