[comp.sys.amiga] apparent MEMACS speedup

rap@rap.ardent.com (Rob Peck) (04/12/89)

In article <5214@cs.Buffalo.EDU> ugkamins@sunybcs.UUCP (John Kaminski) writes:

>P.P.S. -- while I'm on the subject of editors, I couldn't BELIEVE the diff
>between microemacs distributed for extras 1.2 and 1.3!  What a speedup!

You might not have noticed that 1.3 runs Charlie Heath's FF (fast fonts)
and that, in itself, it responsible for a MAJOR speedup in the operation
of MEMACS.  I sometimes still run 1.2, simply for convenience (have not
found my favorite configuration for 1.3 yet, but I DID copy the new
MEMACS to my normal everyday 1.2 disk.  The speed is the same, just
a few more features (and a coupla bugs) added.  FF is what does the
speedup.  Come to think of it, I better copy FF to that oldie also,
why punish myself. (:-0

Rob Peck

[The bug I reported when 1.3 became official is an incorrect setting of
 Mark when you click where the cursor is already located; says "mark-set"
 but it turns out to be set 4-8 lines higher than where Point is now.
 To see the bug, double click on a character in your text file, then
 do a ^X^X (swap-dot-and-mark).  The cursor should not move but it does.
 This bug is in the first "distributed" version of the 1.3 Extras disk.]
 But I DO appreciate the new features (including switching windows via
 a mouse-select).

ugkamins@sunybcs.uucp (John Kaminski) (04/13/89)

In article <5527@ardent.UUCP> rap@rap.ardent.com (Rob Peck) writes:
>In an article I write:
>>
>>P.P.S. -- while I'm on the subject of editors, I couldn't BELIEVE the diff
>>between microemacs distributed for extras 1.2 and 1.3!  What a speedup!
>
>You might not have noticed that 1.3 runs Charlie Heath's FF (fast fonts)
>FF is what does the
>speedup.  Come to think of it, I better copy FF to that oldie also,
>why punish myself. (:-0

Say what?  When I run the new uEmacs, number one, I haven't installed FF, and
number two, FF is nowhere to be found on any disks or any memory anywhere
(it has been deleted from my working wb disk).  Is it integral to uEmacs
itself?  If what you were saying is true, it has to be, since it definitely
not around to be loaded separately.
>Rob Peck
>
>[The bug I reported when 1.3 became official is an incorrect setting of
> Mark when you click where the cursor is already located; says "mark-set"
> but it turns out to be set 4-8 lines higher than where Point is now.
> To see the bug, double click on a character in your text file, then
> do a ^X^X (swap-dot-and-mark).  The cursor should not move but it does.
> This bug is in the first "distributed" version of the 1.3 Extras disk.]
> But I DO appreciate the new features (including switching windows via
> a mouse-select).

My favorite extras 1.2 uEmacs bug (argh!) is (may be easier to do graphically
here):

This is a line _

This is another line

If the cursor is where the underscore is (@ eoln) and I press <return>, I
don't get a new blank line out of the deal, and I definitely should.  A 2nd
press of <return> does gimmie a blank line.

This bug is also right up there with the one where you are on the blank
line between the 2 lines, press ^X^D, and the "T" of the second "This" dis-
appears as well as the blank line as intended.

I don't know if they were fixed in 1.3 or not... don't recall it happening
or it aggravating me while using it.

Kudos to whoever figured out how to NOT move the cursor when just re-selecting
that screen (if, for example, you have popped up another CLI and wish to
resume editing without ending that CLI ------ no, not from ^- or the menu,
from popcli3).