[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaUUCP Mail, was

andrews@cos.com (Andrew R. Scholnick) (04/13/89)

In article <14568@gryphon.COM>, richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> In article <16957@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
> >Re: Stan's comments about AmigaUUCP version 0.50 ...
> >
> >(fantastic product) .. yeah, but ...
> >
> >Have you noticed uucico doesn't believe in direct connections?  Just TRY and
>
> Thats because it's hardwired to use a HAYES modem. It says so right
> in the sources.
>
> >Fixing and recompiling the sources won't work without a (recent) Lattice
> >compiler.  :-(
>
> I've had pretty good success Manxifying it. I've converted rmail, rnews,
> pnews, mail, unbatchfc.
>
> What it comes down to is yo uhave to make a system() function that uses
> fexecv() to replace Lattice's system(), and remove the chdir()
> and getcwd() calls and make the file open's have explicit addresses;
> fortuneately, most of them are already; and acount for some string
> functions that Lattice 5.0 has that manx doesnt.
I have just put the wraps on a modification of the mail program which
people may be interested in.  It has a lot of UNIX mail functionality such
as -H (print current headers, message number, who from, line count,
subject, then exit), -uUserName (read/send mail for UserName)
(which DOES mean it supports multiple users, spouses, children, etc...),
-fFileName (read mail text from specified file), and -sSubject (assign a
subject).

Internaly, support for aliases (a file named alias in the UUCP:mail
directory) and Carbon copies ('Cc:') and a more 'fault tolerant' style
which doesn't abort everytime a file is missing.  Also, automatic saving
of outgoing messages on the end of the file .UserName.sent in UUCP:Mail.

If no address is given on the command line (and no -H) the program
assumes that you want to read mail.  There is a builtin pager and a
better understanding of message start and finish points.
Reader commands are:
	a	= show all current aliases
	d [n]	= delete current (or 'n') message
	h	= show message headings (deleted and saved flags, curr ptr.)
	m [addr]= send mail (may specify addr at this point - can be alias)
	n	= goto and display next message
	number	= goto and display message with number entered
	q	= quit, do not delete marked messages
	s FName	= save current mail message to FName (append if exists)
	u [n]	= undelete (remove delete mark) current message (or 'n')
	x	= exit mail program and delete marked mail from mailfile

Sorry, but it is not smart enough yet to remember if you've read
messages already and mark the new ones with N and unread ones with U
like the UNIX mailer... (sigh ;-)

It is written for the Manx C compiler, and built on William Loftus' mail
program.  If anyone is interested in this program DO NOT send an
automaticly addressed response to this posting! USE THE ADDRESS:
'...uunet!cos!amicc!computerclub' please.  (The program is on the
Computer Club Company computer and not here at my office, I can handle
requests better if things are sent there...)  If there are a lot of
requests I will post the source (if amiga.sources is up!??!) rather than
waste bandwidth mailing seperate copies.

> Edwin Hoogerbeets has written all the required string functions
> and I coerced him to write chdir and getcwd as well. Theo de Raadt
> supplied a system() function, so it's easier that it would appear
> on first guess.
Anyone know where I can get these files, it would significantly speed up
work on my version of the news reader;-).

ARS.
--
- Andrew R. Scholnick @ Corp. for Open Systems, McLean, VA -- andrews@cos.com
- {uunet, sundc, decuac}!cos!andrews -- Everything I write blame on me, NOT