[comp.sys.amiga] Info needed on Supra4X4 45MB

a72@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand) (04/06/89)

Could someone tell me what type of RLL controller is used in Supra
4X4 45MB external harddrive package? I just replaced a 30MB
internal RLL with a 45MB RLL (Seagate 157R) and I would also like
to replace the old controller (OMTI 3527) with the recommened
controller for 45MB RLL drive.

Any help will be most appreciated.

-  Raman Jeet S. Anand                                             -
-  Vancouver, British Columbia  CO-SYSOP                           -
-  (604) 591-3664               DEEP COVE BBS                      -
-  CIS: 73767,2161              (604) 929-6183/682-6283            -
-  GeNie: R.ANAND               Biggest GIF BBS in Western Canada  -

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (04/13/89)

From article <173@mindlink.UUCP:, by a72@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand):

: Could someone tell me what type of RLL controller is used in Supra
: 4X4 45MB external harddrive package? I just replaced a 30MB
: internal RLL with a 45MB RLL (Seagate 157R) and I would also like
: to replace the old controller (OMTI 3527) with the recommened
: controller for 45MB RLL drive.

	I belive that in the 45 meg they use a Seagate ST-157N. The 157N
is an embedded SCSI, and doesn't need a seperate controller. For your
157R, the OMTI 3527 is the correct controller. (The only other real choise
is the Adaptec ACB-4070, and that is not only 5.25 inch, but much slower
than your OMTI.)

: Any help will be most appreciated.
:
: --------------------------------------------------------------------
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent!blowpig!billsey

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (04/14/89)

In article <1446@agora.UUCP> billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) writes:
>From article <173@mindlink.UUCP:, by a72@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand):
>
>: Could someone tell me what type of RLL controller is used in Supra
>: 4X4 45MB external harddrive package? I just replaced a 30MB
>: internal RLL with a 45MB RLL (Seagate 157R) and I would also like
>: to replace the old controller (OMTI 3527) with the recommened
>: controller for 45MB RLL drive.
>
>	I belive that in the 45 meg they use a Seagate ST-157N. The 157N
>is an embedded SCSI, and doesn't need a seperate controller. For your
>157R, the OMTI 3527 is the correct controller. (The only other real choise
>is the Adaptec ACB-4070, and that is not only 5.25 inch, but much slower
>than your OMTI.)

Supra first shipped drives with seperate SCSI controllers. (The box
that slaps on the side of you A1000 is the SCSI host adapter,
that interfaces the SCSI controller on the disk to the computer).

At some point, they switched to drives with embedded SCSI controlleds,
ie. no more seperate drive and controller, but rather a monolithic
unit.

If you're inclined to hack this stuff it gives you far fewer options,
as although drives with embedded SCSI controllers are a good idea,
they are relativly new, and there just arnt that many of them.

Seagate makes a 20, 30 and 40 (appx) Meg drives, with 28 and 40 ms
average seek times. I believe supra sticke the 40 ms ones in their
units.

The good news though is that CDC under the imprimis label sells
3" drives in 100, 150 and 200 MB capacities, with 15 ms average
access times. It should be a simple matter of plug and play.

As soon as I can convince someone to give me one for free I'll
report back on this.

Heh.

--
       ``Parents who have children, have children who have children''
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV