[comp.sys.amiga] Can you have to much Memory????

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (04/05/89)

Hi everyone,

    First off this is NOT a JOKE.

    I have an aquaintance that has found a few programs that will not run
with more than 5 Megs of memory on the system! He also stated that he found
a comment in CBM's documentation that states something to the effect that
transformer will not operate correctly if the system contains more than 5Megs
of memory. What gives here? The one program he specfically mentioned was
Access (version unknown).
    Has anyone of you rich types out there had a similar problem? He also has a
hurricane board if that has any bearing.

    How about this Commodore, is there a known bug?

Flames will be sent the same place my copy of world part 1 went (/dev/NULL).
On a side note, anyone  out there that has part 1 of the world game sources
that were posted about a month ago I would appreciate you e-mailing me a copy.

Thanks
Monty

"	All side effects are effects."
"	We can never do merely one thing."
"			--First Law of Ecology"

In article <371@sagpd1.UUCP> monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:
>                                           ... He also stated that he found
>a comment in CBM's documentation that states something to the effect that
>transformer will not operate correctly if the system contains more than 5Megs
>of memory. What gives here?

Sheesh. In the *BRIDGECARD* installation notes there is a comment that you
can't have more than 4Meg of Fast RAM. I believe this is fixed in the 2.0
version of the Janus.library.

> The one program he specfically mentioned was Access (version unknown).

Isn't this a terminal program ? If it takes more than 5Meg it must be
written using Tom Rokicki's Turing Machine emulator.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (04/07/89)

In Message <97840@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis)
>In article <371@sagpd1.UUCP> monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:
>>                                           ... He also stated that he found
>>a comment in CBM's documentation that states something to the effect that
>>transformer will not operate correctly if the system contains more than 5Megs
  ^^^^^^^^^^^
>>of memory. What gives here?
>
>Sheesh. In the *BRIDGECARD* installation notes there is a comment that you
>can't have more than 4Meg of Fast RAM. I believe this is fixed in the 2.0
>version of the Janus.library.

  Monty asks of TRANSFORMER and Chuck speaks of BRIDGECARD, hmmmmm.......

  Since TRANSFORMER is old (IE: pre-SideCar era), consumes the machine (IE:
  doesn't multitask), and doesn't use Janus software (of any kind or version)
  these two items are not related in even the slights fashion.

  As for Janus 2.0 and being of the 'never read the manual' type I went ahead
  and put Janus 2.0 on heimat. Heimat has a 020 w/4meg and a CBM 2meg board
  (total 7 w/motherboard) and ive had *NO* problems using either the Janus 2.0
  software -or- my AT bridge.

  Sneakers  (Ex-Transformer, SideCar, XT BridgeBoard user ;-)

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS

jms@antares.UUCP (Joe Smith) (04/10/89)

In article <97840@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <371@sagpd1.UUCP> monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:
>>                                           ... He also stated that he found
>>a comment in CBM's documentation that states something to the effect that
>>transformer will not operate correctly if the system contains more than 5Megs
>>of memory. What gives here?
>
>Sheesh. In the *BRIDGECARD* installation notes there is a comment that you
>can't have more than 4Meg of Fast RAM. I believe this is fixed in the 2.0
>version of the Janus.library.

It's also mentioned in the installation instructions for the A2058 memory
expansion board: "If you have the A2088 Bridgeboard installed, your A2058
must be configured to 4MB or 2MB of memory in order for the Bridgeboard to
run properly."

I know the Bridgeboard maps the shared 128K of PC memory to 3 different
address ranges on the 68000 side (for accessing bytes, words, and pixels), but
I don't know why it takes such a big chunk out of the Amiga's address space.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | jms@antares.Tymnet.COM or jms@tymix.Tymnet.COM
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!antares!jms

joostv@philce.UUCP (Joost Vroonhoven) (04/14/89)

In article <436@antares.UUCP> jms@antares.UUCP (Joe Smith) writes:
>It's also mentioned in the installation instructions for the A2058 memory
>expansion board: "If you have the A2088 Bridgeboard installed, your A2058
>must be configured to 4MB or 2MB of memory in order for the Bridgeboard to
>run properly."
>
>I know the Bridgeboard maps the shared 128K of PC memory to 3 different
>address ranges on the 68000 side (for accessing bytes, words, and pixels), but
>I don't know why it takes such a big chunk out of the Amiga's address space.

Oh well. The A2058 doc indeed says the above but it
means you cannot use all 8Megs as RAM when you have a Bridgecard installed.

Check the boards size in the ConfigDev structure of the expansion.library!
The PC card takes 512K ADDRESS space from the expansion space.

So you could use AT MOST 7.5 Meg of the expansion address space
as memory expansion. However the 2058 can
only be configured as 2, 4 or 8Meg RAM.

If you got a card which could be configured in 512k steps up to 8 Meg then
there would be no problem.

I have written a little utility which looks at all expansion boards and gives
their address, size, product codes (anybody know these?) driver address etc.

Keep up the good work ! ............................  Joost.

|          / // /                                        |
|         / // /      AMIGA  FEVER                       |
|   \ \\ / // /         catch it!        Joost           |
|    \ \/ // /                              van          |
|     \/ // /        Since only Amiga....     Vroonhoven |
Philips Consumer Electronics  -  CIS-lab  -  CARIN project
joostv@philce.UUCP or ...mcvax!hp4nl!philmds!philce!joostv

dc3i@hudson.acc.virginia.edu (calleson diane l) (04/15/89)

        Can anyone tell me if there are replacement power supplies
        available for the Amiga 500 ?   I remember some talk about
        this recently, but since mine was working at that tiime I
        didn't pay much attention.

        Upon opening the power supply I found that the fuse had blown
        so I replaced it with the same kind -- a 2 amp 250 V normal blow
        fuse and upon plugging it in and throwing the switch the fuse
        blows immediatly.  I tried it again and the same thing happens.
        Has Commodore or anyone indicated what the problem is?

        I'd appreciate any information on this as I am going to try and have
        an electrical friend take a look at it to see if it can be fixed.
        Otherwise I'd be interested in what the possibilities are for a
        NON-COMMODORE replacement.

        Thanks-- :>)   Diane Calleson        bitnet:  dc3i@virginia.edu