[comp.sys.amiga] something else for 1.4

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (04/05/89)

You know, here is a great thing to add to 1.4 -- better DOCUMENTATION.  I
think the manual that comes with the computer is not informative enough.
I didn't know about using the left mouse button with the right held down
to make multiple menu choices until I read the post on comp.sys.amiga
today...this feature is not documented in the manual that comes with the
computer at all.  And I had only seen one other menu system -- the Mac's --
and they don't have this feature because they only have one button.  So
how was I to find out?  Also, maybe CBM could consider bundling a reference
manual for Amigados with the computer.  The CLI info in the standard manual
is not complete enough.
     It bothers me to think of the other unique or undocumented features the
Amiga and Intuition have that I don't know about.  C'mon guys...make sure
1.4 is well documented.  Pleeeeez :-)

     On a different note, some (many) computers have secrets (messages,
pictures, commands,...) hidden in ROM.  I know the Amiga is no exception,
but an earlier post about this uncovered no info, except that maybe old
versions of Preferences had a hidden gadget.  Does anyone have any info on
this?  How about one of the C-A, CBM, or CATS people?  C'mon people, don't be
greedy; share your secrets! :-)

Baird McIntosh

==)=))==)))===))))====)))))=====))))))======)))))))=======Amiga!!!======
disclaimer: if it don't offend YOU, send me email & I'll try again. ;-)
BITNET: c503719@umcvmb.bitnet <or> INTERNET: c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu
"IBM -- it BORES me...Macintosh -- how 'bout the PRICE of them apples!"
======Amiga!!!=======(((((((======((((((=====(((((====((((===(((==((=(==

bartonr@psu-cs.cs.pdx.edu (Robert Barton) (04/06/89)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: something else for 1.4
In article <12313@louie.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
>You know, here is a great thing to add to 1.4 -- better DOCUMENTATION.  I
>think the manual that comes with the computer is not informative enough.
>I didn't know about using the left mouse button with the right held down
>to make multiple menu choices until I read the post on comp.sys.amiga
>today...this feature is not documented in the manual that comes with the
>computer at all.

  This is covered in the 10-1-85 edition of _Introduction to Amiga_; maybe it
got taken out of newer versions.  It's on page 4-12, in the Workbench chapter,
as "Multiple Choice".  I think the main reason many people are unaware of
this feature is that most software doesn't make use of it.  This manual also
covers using the Amiga, ALT, and cursor keys in place of the mouse.

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (04/06/89)

In article <12313@louie.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
>You know, here is a great thing to add to 1.4 -- better DOCUMENTATION.  I
>think the manual that comes with the computer is not informative enough.
>I didn't know about using the left mouse button with the right held down
>to make multiple menu choices until I read the post on comp.sys.amiga
>today...this feature is not documented in the manual that comes with the
>computer at all.

Introduction to the Amiga 500, page 4-34 Mouse Tricks
Introduction to the Amiga 2000, page 4-35 Mouse Tricks
Introduction to the Amiga, page 4-12

>     It bothers me to think of the other unique or undocumented features the
>Amiga and Intuition have that I don't know about.  C'mon guys...make sure
>1.4 is well documented.  Pleeeeez :-)

You probably want to look at "Using the Amiga Without a Mouse",
page C-6 in the A500 user manual, page C-8 in the A2000 manual,
page 4-13 in the Amiga A1000 manual for some additional tricks.
Not to mention page 4-29 of the A500 manual (4-30 in the A2000
manual, not in A1000 manual because function wasn't there until 1.2)
for requester shortcuts.

And...

>     On a different note, some (many) computers have secrets (messages,
>pictures, commands,...) hidden in ROM.  I know the Amiga is no exception,
>but an earlier post about this uncovered no info, except that maybe old
>versions of Preferences had a hidden gadget.  Does anyone have any info on

Oddly enough, secret messages in ROM were one of the first things
to be removed when the space crunched hit.

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Give me a Standard large enough, and a Committee to discuss it,
 and I will prevent the Earth from moving."

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (04/07/89)

In article <6526@cbmvax.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:
>Oddly enough, secret messages in ROM were one of the first things
>to be removed when the space crunched hit.

	A space crunch in a 512k ROM?!  To have life so easy...

| This message does in no way reflect the views or opinions of   |
| any organization.  In fact, they illustrate just how           |
| disorganized things really are.                                |

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (04/07/89)

In article <1223@internal.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
)	A space crunch in a 512k ROM?!

Actually, it's still 256K, and we fit MultiFinder in there, too.

)	To have life so easy...

Maybe some day you can ...		;^)

	jimm
--
Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"Like you said when we crawled down
{cbmvax,well,oliveb}!amiga!jimm          from the trees: We're in transition."

In article <1223@internal.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
>In article <6526@cbmvax.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:
>>Oddly enough, secret messages in ROM were one of the first things
>>to be removed when the space crunched hit.
>
>	A space crunch in a 512k ROM?!  To have life so easy...

	512K?  We'd KILL for 512K ROMS!  We have 256K (it includes a number
of things usually found on disk in an apple system).

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (04/09/89)

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) wrote:
> 	A space crunch in a 512k ROM?!  To have life so easy...

A 256K ROM.  Not all *that* far from Apple's experience.

(Personally, I'd use it as a good excuse to rewrite *all* of the BCPL
in there.)
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsoft!w-colinp)

"Don't listen to me.  I never do." - The Doctor

ugkamins@sunybcs.uucp (John Kaminski) (04/10/89)

In article <12313@louie.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
[ chopped for brevity ]
>     On a different note, some (many) computers have secrets (messages,
>pictures, commands,...) hidden in ROM.  I know the Amiga is no exception,
>but an earlier post about this uncovered no info, except that maybe old
>versions of Preferences had a hidden gadget.  Does anyone have any info on
>this?  How about one of the C-A, CBM, or CATS people?  C'mon people, don't be
>greedy; share your secrets! :-)
>
>Baird McIntosh
Try shift-shift-alt-alt-fnkey.  At least on 1.2, you get some interesting
messages and an orange flash (from a DisplayBeep() no doubt).  There is also
another one dealing with popping out the df0: disk, and after that holding
the left mouse button down on the drag bar of the WorkBench screen and
reinserting the disk to get yet another message, but I can't remember exactly
how that one goes (the first time I tried it, it was like a freaking game of
"Twister"!).  Oh -- and fnkey == { F1, F2, F3, etc. } on the keyboard.

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (04/11/89)

In article <6532@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:
>	512K?  We'd KILL for 512K ROMS!  We have 256K (it includes a number
>of things usually found on disk in an apple system).
>
>--
>Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

Whoops.

In article <1262@microsoft.UUCP> w-colinp@microsoft.uucp (Colin Plumb) writes:
>farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) wrote:
>> 	A space crunch in a 512k ROM?!  To have life so easy...
>
>A 256K ROM.  Not all *that* far from Apple's experience.
>
>(Personally, I'd use it as a good excuse to rewrite *all* of the BCPL
>in there.)

	Which might save you all of 10-20K.  Most of the ROM is graphics,
intuition, and WB (1.2/1.3).

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

dan@ivucsb.UUCP (Dan Howell) (04/15/89)

In article <5140@cs.Buffalo.EDU> ugkamins@sunybcs.UUCP (John Kaminski) writes:
|[...] There is also
|another one dealing with popping out the df0: disk, and after that holding
|the left mouse button down on the drag bar of the WorkBench screen and
|reinserting the disk to get yet another message, but I can't remember exactly
|how that one goes (the first time I tried it, it was like a freaking game of
|"Twister"!).

Huh?  I tried this with 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 and I couldn't get anything to
happen with this sequence.  Am I doing something wrong?

--
-- Dan Howell  <ivucsb!dan@anise.acc.com>  <...!(pyramid|ucbvax)!ucsbcsl!
-- koyaanisqatsi <fr. Hopi> -                                nessus!ivucsb!dan>