[comp.sys.amiga] Quantum 80s & Microbotics Hardframe

elg@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Eric Green) (04/12/89)

I just finished installing a Quantum 80s and a 2090a for a friend. It
screams -- 525K/second on Diskperf. But I wonder what it'll do with a
Microbotics Hardframe -- because both the Hardframe and the Quantum
support the new synchronous SCSI protocol (4mb/sec). Has anybody ever
tried such a setup? Care to share the results?

--
|    // Eric Lee Green              P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509     |
|   //  ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg     (318)989-9849     |

bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer @ Wit's End) (04/13/89)

In article <7818@killer.Dallas.TX.US> elg@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:
=-I just finished installing a Quantum 80s and a 2090a for a friend. It
=-screams -- 525K/second on Diskperf. But I wonder what it'll do with a
=-Microbotics Hardframe -- because both the Hardframe and the Quantum
=-support the new synchronous SCSI protocol (4mb/sec). Has anybody ever
=-tried such a setup? Care to share the results?
=-
	That's what I have.  I haven't gotten around to diskperfing it yet
(despite having had the Hardframe for 3 months), but, judging by pm's display,
almost everything is CPU-bound now, which should indicate a transfer rate
substantially higher than 525K/s.

	Anyway, it's amazingly fast.
/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
_No dark sarcasm in the classroom|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|___
|____Teachers leave the kids alone__|_____|_____|_____|_bryan@cs.utexas.edu___|
___|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|{vertebrae...}!cs.utexas.edu!bryan_|___
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (04/13/89)

Does anyone know if the Microbotics Hardframe is able to DMA into the 32-bit
memory on the 2620 board?  Do any controllers besides the 2090A have that
ability?

Bill Murphy

mgh@ho4cad.ATT.COM (04/16/89)

In article <7818@killer.Dallas.TX.US>, elg@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:
> I just finished installing a Quantum 80s and a 2090a for a friend. It
> screams -- 525K/second on Diskperf. But I wonder what it'll do with a
> Microbotics Hardframe -- because both the Hardframe and the Quantum
> support the new synchronous SCSI protocol (4mb/sec). Has anybody ever
> tried such a setup? Care to share the results?

Well hopefully soon, I will be able to let you know how this setup
works. I obtained both and was quite anxious to try it out. Installation
was quite simple. The two go together rather nicely. I plugged the combo
into my 2000 and started the first step of my installation. Unfortuanately
the first step failed. I got an error message stating no drive present on
the Hard Frame. Himmm....I had an ST embedded ICD FA-ST Hard Drive setup
and thought maybe I could verify whether the Quantum was the culprit or
the Hard Frame. Unfortunately the ICD setup had no formatting prgs that
would work with the Quatum. I tried one and it said no drive. Himmm...I
thought, must be the drive so I sent it back. GVP was the supplier and they
replied very quickly telling me the drive checked out fine. Well now I had to
send the Hard Frame back to have Microbotics check it out. They refused to
swap controllers with the dealer and insisted on testing my unit out. Well
I sent it in an am waiting to find out the results. Hopefully they will find
it faulty and send me a good one soon. I will post a follow up along with
how well they work together...Any one else out there experience similar problems??

				Matt Hetman