[comp.sys.amiga] Copyright

rsine@nswc-wo.arpa (Sine) (04/17/89)

Concerning the copyright discussion, Thad Floryan writes:

>The EA software in question (the Deluxe Paint series) is clearly copyrighted
>and protected by US Federal law.  The last page of the DP-II manual states:

>        "SOFTWARE (c) 1986 ELECTRONIC ARTS"

If the manual really states this, (and I doubt it), then Marco and anyone
possessing the software being mentioned, can do as they please.  This is
because EA didn't follow the Copyright Form of Notice as defined in the
publication "Copyright Basics Circular No. 1", which complies with the
Copyright Act of 1976 which became effective January 1, 1978.  The document
states the following:

The notice should contain the following three elements:

1.  The Copyright symbol (the letter C in a circle), or the word "Copyright",
    or the abbreviation "Copr."; and
2.  The year of first publication of the work....
3.  The name of the owner of copyright in the work...

Notice that there is no mention of (C) or (c) and one could argue that the
software is not Copyright material.  The fact that you didn't know this
(judged by your posting) makes me question the validity of any of your
statements.  By this I mean that you went into great detail making your
points, but still left the (c) in the message unexplained.

Back to the subject at hand, Section 106 of the Copyright Act generally
gives the owner of the copyright the exclusive right to do and to authorize
others to do the following:
To distribute copies of the copyrighted work to the public by sale or
other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending;

My understanding of this is that unless the copyright states that the
product can not be resold by the end user, then it can be.

Further, I have relicensed software many times.  I had a VMS machine that
became a Unix machine.  I called DEC and told them I wanted to transfer the
license to another machine and another person (so they pay for the updates)
and they said fine who's the other person, what's the serial numbers etc.

>I'm simply attempting to clarify some (otherwise) obscure points of law as
IMHO you've not clarified anything and have contributed to the confusion.

Ran
ARPA: rsine@nswc-wo

In article <13224@louie.udel.EDU> rsine@nswc-wo.arpa (Sine) writes:
>Concerning the copyright discussion, Thad Floryan writes:
>>The EA software in question (the Deluxe Paint series) is clearly copyrighted
>>and protected by US Federal law.  The last page of the DP-II manual states:
>>        "SOFTWARE (c) 1986 ELECTRONIC ARTS"
>If the manual really states this, (and I doubt it), then Marco and anyone
>possessing the software being mentioned, can do as they please.  This is
>because EA didn't follow the Copyright Form of Notice as defined in the
>publication "Copyright Basics Circular No. 1", which complies with the
>Copyright Act of 1976 which became effective January 1, 1978.
>The notice should contain the following three elements:
>1.  The Copyright symbol (the letter C in a circle), or the word "Copyright",
>    or the abbreviation "Copr."; and ...
>Notice that there is no mention of (C) or (c) and one could argue that ...

Wait! Please give Thad a break!. EA DOES include the "C in a
Circle" as properly requested by the Library of Congress.  I would be
surprised of the contrary, considering EA has been in the software business
for so many years.  Thad used the only mean that you can on ASCII terminals,
which do not have the "C in a circle".  The Amiga does have that character
in the standard font, and many programs, A-Talk III included, use it in the
menu bar, to make sure that not only the media an manual but also the
"executable" shows the copyright notice.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

bob@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (robert s. richardson) (04/17/89)

In article <13224@louie.udel.EDU> rsine@nswc-wo.arpa (Sine) writes:
>Concerning the copyright discussion, Thad Floryan writes:
>>The EA software in question (the Deluxe Paint series) is clearly copyrighted
>>and protected by US Federal law.  The last page of the DP-II manual states:
>>        "SOFTWARE (c) 1986 ELECTRONIC ARTS"
>Copyright Act of 1976 which became effective January 1, 1978.
>The notice should contain the following three elements:
>1.  The Copyright symbol (the letter C in a circle), or the word "Copyright",
>    or the abbreviation "Copr."; and ...
>Notice that there is no mention of (C) or (c) and one could argue that ...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the application for copyright form I use
for my music specifies quite clearly that a (C), (c), and in the case
of phonorecords (P), (p) is perfectly acceptable.  This adoption of
the parenthesis around a c has been used since the dawn of the
typewriter.  So PLEASE, don't try to justify an already tricky legal
issue on the basis of typography.

| Bob Richardson     (or, for you UNIX buffs: bob@jacobs.cs.orst.edu) |
| 220 NW 21st, Corvallis, OR 97330    503-758-5018    "We Never Open" |
| PLEASE NOTE NEW NETWORK NAME ABOVE (was richarr@nikola). MAIL TO    |
| OLD ACCOUNT MAY NOT REACH ME. THANK YOU.                            |

In article <10021@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> bob@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU.UUCP (robert s. richardson) writes:
>In article <13224@louie.udel.EDU> rsine@nswc-wo.arpa (Sine) writes:
>>Copyright Act of 1976 which became effective January 1, 1978.
>>The notice should contain the following three elements:
>>1.  The Copyright symbol (the letter C in a circle), or the word "Copyright",
>>    or the abbreviation "Copr."; and ...
>>Notice that there is no mention of (C) or (c) and one could argue that ...
>
>Sorry to burst your bubble, but the application for copyright form I use
>for my music specifies quite clearly that a (C), (c), and in the case
>of phonorecords (P), (p) is perfectly acceptable.  This adoption of
>the parenthesis around a c has been used since the dawn of the
>typewriter.  So PLEASE, don't try to justify an already tricky legal
>issue on the basis of typography.

Sorry to burst your bubble, dude, but this is a direct quote from "Circular
R61 -- Copyright Registration for Computer Programs" which can be obtained
from the Copyright Office - Library of Congress - Washington, D.C. 20559:

FORM OF COPYRIGHT NOTICE

The notice for visually perceptible copies should contain all of the
following three elements:

1. The symbol <<non-ACSII symbol omitted>> (the letter C in a circle), or
the word "Copyright" or the abbreviation "Copr."

2. The year of first publication of the work.

3. The name of the owner of copyright of the work.

-- end of quote

According to copyright law [ 17 USC, Section 401()b)], BOTH (c) and (C)
are NOT acceptable symbols.

If you want to read the entire details of the legalese involved in software
copyright notices, please pick up a copy of "How to Copyright Software" by
Attorney M.J. Salone, Legal Editor: Stephen Elias, by NOLO Press, 950 Parker
St., Berkeley, CA 94710.

Considering that one of the reasons Intel lost the case against NEC was because
of the omission of a "proper" copyright notice, giving out "incorrect"
information perpetuates "ignorance". The AMIGA is actually in better shape
than other machines, because the topaz ROM font includes the copyright symbol,
and therfore it is very easy to support the following requirement of
Section 201.20(g), 37 C.F.R.:

LOCATION OF COPYRIGHT NOTICE

(g) WORKS REPRODUCED IN MACHINE-READABLE COPIES

... each of the following constitutes examples of acceptable methods
of affixation and position of notice:
..
(2) A notice that is displayed at the user's terminal at sign on;
(3) A notice that is continuously on terminal display; or
(4) a legible notice reproduced durably, ...securely affixed to the copies or
to a box, reel, cartridge, cassette, or other container used as a permanent
receptacle for the copies.

-- end of quote

Hopefully this item (which comes up as usual every couple of years or so
on Usenet), can be put to rest quickly.