[comp.sys.amiga] Monitors and Printers

witting@topaz.rutgers.edu (Paul K Willing) (04/04/89)

Im a little unclear about the current video situation for the Amiga,
and want to ask a few questions:

	1.  Is there going to be new graphics chips for the Amiga?
Ive heard rumors about a new 1024x1024 color display coming soon, are
these the same or are the new chips an upgrade, and the new display an
option?
		i)  will the new display need a monitor upgrade?
		ii) whats the purpose of the new chips?
		iii)any release dates?

	2.  Theres been talk of late of interlaced vs. noninterlaced
monitors, and my Amiga 2000 literature speaks of 320x200 and 640x400
displays, does this mean interlaced = 640x400?  ie, to get the better
resolution I will have to live with screen flicker?

	3.  What about a non Amiga monitor?  What kind of
connector/interface does the Amiga use (not RCA), or how difficult
would it be to make a custom cable for the NEC or other brand?  I
guess Ill through in questions about the Flicker Fixer in here,
mainly, does it work well and is it worth the money?

	4.  Lastly, does anybody know which HP laserprinters are
Postscript?  I can get a student discount on them, so I'd like to
know, and any info/experiences on integrating it with the 2000.

Thanks in advance!

					paul
Graphiti on the wall of civil rights organization in the sixties

	"There is a town in Mississippi named Liberty
         There is a Department in Washington called Justice"

A more socially aware sort of .sig     witting@topaz.rutgers.edu

alh@hprmokg.HP.COM (Al Harrington) (04/06/89)

/ witting@topaz.rutgers.edu (Paul K Willing) /  3:23 pm  Apr  3, 1989 /

>	4.  Lastly, does anybody know which HP laserprinters are
>Postscript?  I can get a student discount on them, so I'd like to
>know, and any info/experiences on integrating it with the 2000.

HP does not make a Postscript printer.  There is a card called "JetScript"
(I beleive) that will give you Postscript, but that cost another $1500 on
up.

I have a LaserJet II and get along just fine without Postscript.
PageStream looks great on it, not to mention digitized pictures.

+-----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| -Al Harrington                     //// |       Instant Guru BBS          |
|    ________                       ////  |        (916) 488-9278           |
|    |__/\__|                 \\\\ ////   |    120 Megs - All Amiga!        |
|                              \\\X///    |    Over 1000 files online       |
| alh@hprmo.HP.COM              \XXX/     |   Baud: 1200/2400 Hours: 24     |
| ..{hplabs,hp-sde}!hprmo!alh             |  PCPursuit:  CASAC 1200/2400    |
+-----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
|  My comments in no way reflect the views or opinions of Hewlett-Packard   |

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (04/08/89)

know, and any info/experiences on integrating it with the 2000.

>HP does not make a Postscript printer.  There is a card called "JetScript"
>(I beleive) that will give you Postscript, but that cost another $1500 on
>up.

I also heard about something called, "PrintScript" from Pixelations, which
will give some degree of Postscript compatibility for HP LaserJet and
DeskJet printer.

It is supposed to caose $89.00.

I have never seen or used it, but read about it in a posting by Allen Norskog.

Dave S.

<13240015@hprmokg.HP.COM>

In article <13240015@hprmokg.HP.COM>, alh@hprmokg.HP.COM (Al Harrington)
writes:
 > / witting@topaz.rutgers.edu (Paul K Willing) /  3:23 pm  Apr  3, 1989 /
 > >
 > > 4.  Lastly, does anybody know which HP laserprinters are
 > >Postscript?  I can get a student discount on them, so I'd like to
 > >know, and any info/experiences on integrating it with the 2000.
 > >
 > HP does not make a Postscript printer.  There is a card called "JetScript"
 > (I beleive) that will give you Postscript, but that cost another $1500 on
 > up.

The product is called PS Jet. It replaces the entire top of the HP laser
printer (the controller is in the top). It also replaces the serial or parallel
port with it's own port and a thumbwheel that allows to to select the following
emulations:

Postscript, Hplaserjet+, HPGL plotter, Appletalk, and Diablo.

It contains 2 meg of memory, and I think it costs about $1000.

We have one here at work and it works great. It comes with a serial port
but I think you can order an optional parallel port also.

QMS makes a similar product called QMS-800 for the larger dual tray HP Laser
Jet 500+--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
[not for RHF] |          sparks@corpane.UUCP         | 502/968-5401 thru -5406
Beware of quantum ducks: Quark, Quark.

daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (04/18/89)

In article <2030167@hpcilzb.HP.COM> daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) writes:
>know, and any info/experiences on integrating it with the 2000.
>>>
>>HP does not make a Postscript printer.  There is a card called "JetScript"
>>(I beleive) that will give you Postscript, but that cost another $1500 on
>>up.
>
>I also heard about something called, "PrintScript" from Pixelations, which
>will give some degree of Postscript compatibility for HP LaserJet and
>DeskJet printer.
>
>It is supposed to caose $89.00.
>
>I have never seen or used it, but read about it in a posting by Allen Norskog.

	I have (seen and used it) and its pretty good.  It does take quite a
while to form a page but PostScript has never been quick anyway.  It also has
a few quirks right now (it sometimes puts dots where it shouldn't).  I spoke
with the developer and he told me that they are getting ready to release an
upgrade which will fix any know problems.  They are also working on supporting
more fonts and adding color.

	It is kind of intertesting and rewarding to see PostScript quality
output coming out of a standard 9-pin Epson compatible printer when used in
the 240x216 dpi mode! :^)

	Regards, David