[comp.sys.amiga] A2000 & Bridgeboard problem

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (04/14/89)

Hi all,
 My friend has an Amiga 2000 with a Bridgeboard. And there seems to be a
problem. When the machine is started from a cold boot (just turned on), all
is fine. However, if he does the old vulcan nerve pinch (Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga),
the machine starts to reboot and then the machine hangs. It looks as if the
bridgeboard is not resetting. You have the initial CLI window open, but if you
type anything the Amiga ignores it. Sounds to me like the CLI is out trying to
execute a program from that window, but it never comes back. The ONLY way to
restart is to do a complete power down and start up. Any ideas?

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

greg@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Greg Noel) (04/18/89)

In article <17135@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>.... When the machine is started from a cold boot (just turned on), all
>is fine. However, if he does the old vulcan nerve pinch (Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga),
>the machine starts to reboot and then the machine hangs.  ....

I have had this symptom without the Bridgeboard.  I have traced the hang
to being in BindDrivers, but haven't been able to get much further than
that.  I \have/ discovered that the re-boot sequence became more reliable
the fewer commands there were in the Startup-Sequence preceeding the
BindDrivers, but I've never been able to find out why.  Right now, the
BindDrivers is the first command in my Startup-Sequence, even before
FastMemFirst or SetPatch, and I can re-boot with control-Amiga-Amiga
about three-quarters of the time (the rest of the time requires cycling
power, as you indicated).  I don't like running it this way, but....

These problems began when I added a SCSI drive to the ST-506 drive already
on my CBM2090.  I'd dearly love to find out what is going wrong so that I
can fix it.....  (BTW, if there's anybody considering buying a second 2090A
for your 2000, please call me -- I'm quite willing to discuss a swap so
that you end up with a 2090A to boot from and a 2090 for your other disks,
while I end up with a 2090A to boot from....)
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo   Greg.Noel@SanDiego.NCR.COM  or  greg@ncr-sd