[comp.sys.amiga] B2000 internal drives

840445m@aucs.UUCP (Alan W. McKay) (04/16/89)

Is there any way I can take my external 3.5" floppy and use it as the
second interal 3.5" floppy in a B2000.  I am planning on buying a B2000
and would like to do this with my current A1000 external floppy.

--
% Alan W. McKay     %                                             %
% Acadia University %   " The world needs more Socrates           %

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (04/18/89)

840445m@aucs.UUCP (Alan W. McKay) writes:
> Is there any way I can take my external 3.5" floppy and use it as the
> second interal 3.5" floppy in a B2000.  I am planning on buying a B2000
> and would like to do this with my current A1000 external floppy.

After going in the other direction (placing an A2000 internal floppy
in an A1000) I can give you a few words of advice:

There is a form-factor difference between the A1000-style drives
(internal and external) and the A2000 internal drives.  Basically, the
placement and size of the eject button are such that an A2000 drive
cannot be mounted in an A1000 without leaving the front cover off.

Mounting an A1000 external drive inside an A2000 should be possible.
Electrically the drives are equivalent, and you can use the same
connectors.  The A2000 also has an open "hole" for the drive to
appear, so you shouldn't have any problems with the eject button.  But
you won't have a pretty front bezel on your drive like the one which
is supplied with the A2000.  You'll have the ugly raw guts of a floppy
drive staring you in the face every time you use your Amiga (which
grows to be pretty tiring after a while, let me assure you).

Also, when mounting an extra internal drive in the A2000, you have to
set the jumpers on the drive unit so that it will respond as DF1:.
Depending upon who made the drive, the location and settings of the
jumpers are different.  You also need to place a jumper on the A2000
motherboard nearest the point where the floppy disk controller cable
is connected (center of board, under the left edge of the power
supply).  This will configure the system to recognize two
internally-mounted drives.

Side comment (mainly to the folks at Commodore): The interior of the
A2000 is very service-hostile.  Major components such as the power
supply and disk drive units need to be moved to perform simple tasks
such as changing the ROMs.  It would be nice if Commodore designs the
next Amiga using modular, easy-to-remove/replace parts (ala the PS/2
and the Mac IIx line).  Not only would it be more convenient for
people who need to service and maintain the machine, it would be
easier for Commodore to manufacture.

--
Michael Portuesi * Information Technology Center * Carnegie Mellon University
INET: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu * BITNET: mp1u+@andrew

"Why do I live the way I do
 ain't it obvious I'm just a man like you"	--Boy George