[comp.sys.amiga] Arp 1.3 OFFICIALLY released!

aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) (04/14/89)

Here at B.S.U. a friend of mine (J. Brian Waters of Zoo fame and official
beta tester of Arp 1.3) just finished uploading the OFFICIAL release of
Arp 1.3 to our site! (Hopefully for the rest of net land, 'soon to be
at a comp.binaries.amiga near YOU!' [Hi Bob!])

I am just about to download it and give it a go, have read the README,
as of right now, no .doc package is here (or finished according to the
March 30, 1989 dated ReadMe) but it does sound VERY impressive, even
down to an Install program that lets YOU choose WHERE and WHAT gets
installed! and many other goodies that YOU ALL will get to see soon...

Well, am firing this off to end the 'when' questions... ;-)

Happy computing!

                                Sincerly,

                                  David C. Powell
                                  M.I.S. Senior
                                  Ball State University
                                  Muncie, Indiana

*-David Powell :ARPA: aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu--------------------------*
| \/ President :UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!aegnor       |
| /\etwnk Industries, Ltd. :                                         |
*-"If it doesn't work, we DIDN'T do it!"-----------------------------*

disd@hubcap.clemson.edu (Gary Heffelfinger) (04/15/89)

From article <6769@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, by aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell):
> I am just about to download it and give it a go, have read the README,
> as of right now, no .doc package is here (or finished according to the
> March 30, 1989 dated ReadMe) but it does sound VERY impressive, even
> down to an Install program that lets YOU choose WHERE and WHAT gets
> installed! and many other goodies that YOU ALL will get to see soon...

[Forgive the stream-of-consiousness.  Note that this is all from my
untrustworthy memory, so don't beat on me if get it wrong.]

It's neat!  The install program is just downright impressive.  This is
the way it should be.  I found it interesting that the install program,
was written using M2Sprint.  The ARP C: programs are characterisically
small, and fast.  The little bit that I've used them so far, they've
appeared to be compatable.  The '*' wildcard is still supported.  The
Filerequester has been spruced up a bit, as far as its appearance is
concerned.  I haven't looked at it enough to see if its function has
changed.  I have no programmer stuff for ARP yet.

ASH, the ARP shell, looks intriguing.  It has a number of the more
common commands built in and its binary file is only about 8K (if I
remember right).  It appears to do all that the Amiga Shell does and a
little more.  It is almost "plug compatible" with Amiga Shell.  The
"hardest" part of the whole ARP installation was the one thing that the
install program wouldn't do for me.  That is, you need to remove the
line in your startup which residents the shell-seg.  I plugged ASH in,
without changing my shell-startup file, and I found one little
inconsistancy, which might be attributed to the hour of the morning and
the fact that I don't have complete docs.  The prompt command did not
recognize the % sequence which displays the directory spec.  The aliases
in my shell-startup worked just fine.

Preliminary indications are that ARP 1.3 is a winner.  Professionalism
just drips from this package, and cheath et al. should be commended.

Gary

--
Gary R Heffelfinger   -  disd@hubcap.clemson.edu
"If it should become necessary to fight, could you arrange to find me

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) (04/15/89)

I agree. get ARP 1.3!!  It is real, REAL good.  THe installation
procedure is wonderful.  All mouse driven, with very good defaults.

AShell is nice too.  How do they do it with only 8K of code.
AShell and CONMAN make a great pair.

AMong some of the changes ARP has done is that many commands
now can read stdin.  If you use conman's PIP: device, AShell supports
piping with |.  Here's an example from the ASh manual - a line numbered
hex dump:

dir | type opt h | type opt n

Hopefully someone will be sending it to the net soon.

* Rich Carreiro                 "Back off man, I'm a scientist."              *
* rlcarr@athena.mit.edu                - Dr. Peter Venkman                    *

Harv@cup.portal.com (Harv R Laser) (04/16/89)

I had a minor problem (two actually) with the ARP 1.3 "run" command.
Both SupraMount version 5.1a (11356 bytes long) and DiskMaster
from PP&S (version 1.3, 61780 bytes long, the NTSC version) didn't like
it.  SupraMount refused to mount (just hung) and DiskMaster crashed
to a GURU where the screen was pushed down but no Alert appeared.
I replaced ARP 1.3's "run" with AmigaDOS 1.3 "run" and both worked
fine again.  Can anyone confirm/deny this happening to them using
the same two programs listed above?

[and to agree with previous postings, the ARP 1.3 "install" program
is VERY impressive]

Harv

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (04/17/89)

Harv,
 I am not sure about Supra mount. But I do know that you are not supposed to
do a "RUN DISKMASTER". It will detach itself from the CLI. It says in the docs
not to run it, in fact.

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

wolff@cs.purdue.EDU (Robert M. Wolff) (04/18/89)

From article <17293@cup.portal.com>, by Harv@cup.portal.com (Harv R Laser):
> I had a minor problem (two actually) with the ARP 1.3 "run" command.
>
> [and to agree with previous postings, the ARP 1.3 "install" program
> is VERY impressive]
>
> Harv

I have had problems with 1.3arp run and arun both. I use tag-bbs to run
a bbs, and I use 'run >nil: tag' and it would (in 1.3ados) not put any
output to the screen...just the way I like it...and with the arp
version, I get that stuff printed to the screen.

So, I tried 'run >nil: dir' and same thing...but here's the odd one...
I then tried 'run >nil: dir >nil:' and it asked me to 'please insert
volume >nil in any drive'....booo, scarey kiddies...havent seen that
requester before...

bob

--
-=-=-=- Insert Standard Disclaimer Here, Please... -=-=-=-

/*************  MS-Dos? Me? No, You must be mistaken! *************/

raz@kilowatt.uucp (Raz- Berry) (04/18/89)

[gobbly gook]

Ok, I know ARP is available via FTP. But WHERE?

I would rather FTP it than BIX it.

--
Steve -Raz- Berry      Disclaimer: I didn't do nutin!
UUCP: sun!kilowatt!raz                    ARPA: raz%kilowatt.EBay@sun.com

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (04/18/89)

In article <33729@kilowatt.uucp>, raz@kilowatt (Raz- Berry) writes:
>Ok, I know ARP is available via FTP. But WHERE?
>I would rather FTP it than BIX it.

I don't blame you...

It's on	XANTH.CS.ODU.EDU	/amiga/arp-1.3.zoo
and on	SSYX.UCSC.EDU		/pub/archives/arp13.zoo (temporary)

	...tad

brett@sylvester-tr.umd.edu (Brett S Bourbin) (04/19/89)

In article <33729@kilowatt.uucp> raz@sun.UUCP (Steve -Raz- Berry) writes:

>Ok, I know ARP is available via FTP. But WHERE?
>
>I would rather FTP it than BIX it.
>
>--
>Steve -Raz- Berry      Disclaimer: I didn't do nutin!
>UUCP: sun!kilowatt!raz                    ARPA: raz%kilowatt.EBay@sun.com

You might what to try XANTH.CS.ODU.EDU in the /amiga directory.

Does anyone know when the documentation for ARP 1.3 will be also uploaded
to a Internet machine?

--Brett S Bourbin
 __  __   _  __  _  Instructional Computing Programs -- Univ of Maryland
|  ||  ||  ||  ||  |  INTERNET: brett@SYLVESTER-TR.UMD.EDU
|  ||  ||  ||  ||  |            bbourbin@UMD5.UMD.EDU
    College Park        BITNET: bbourbin@UMDD