any way to get the latest Brain File?  I am back at file 003, and have
seen references up to number 10, at least.

Anyone know what the latest file number is?

Thanks for any help.

-----
dickp

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (04/04/89)

	#10 was the last Brain File.

	Marauder II with Brain File 10 is significantly different from
some older versions.  First of all, there is no "look up the word in the
manual" copy protection.
	Second, Brain File 10 DOES NOT COPY some programs that Brain File
3 does!  One example is Electronic Arts' game ARCHON; Brain File 10 doesn't
produce a working copy.  So, keep your old BF #3 disk around, even if you
upgrade.
--
# Dan Barrett	barrett@cs.jhu.edu	(128.220.13.4)	ARPANET             #
#		ins_adjb@jhuvms.bitnet			BITNET              #

paulc@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Paul Carroll) (04/14/89)

> comp.sys.amiga / ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett)
> 	Second, Brain File 10 DOES NOT COPY some programs that Brain File
> 3 does!  One example is Electronic Arts' game ARCHON; Brain File 10 doesn't
> produce a working copy.  So, keep your old BF #3 disk around, even if you
> upgrade.
> --
> # Dan Barrett	barrett@cs.jhu.edu	(128.220.13.4)	ARPANET             #

	By the way, has anyone got ARCHON or ARCHON II to work
	in either V1.2 or V1.3?  Since I have these programs
	and a 2000, it seems a shame to just let them sit around
	gathering dust.  If there is some way of getting these to
	run, please let me know.  Thanks,

		Paul Carroll
		hplabs!hp-lsd!paulc
		Hewlett-Packard Logic Systems Division

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (04/19/89)

In article <7470015@hp-lsd.HP.COM> paulc@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Paul Carroll) writes:
>	By the way, has anyone got ARCHON or ARCHON II to work
>	in either V1.2 or V1.3?  Since I have these programs
>	and a 2000, it seems a shame to just let them sit around
>	gathering dust.  If there is some way of getting these to
>	run, please let me know.  Thanks,

	I have been trying to do this for a LONG time.  Supposedly,
there is a Public Domain utility called FIXBOOT.ARC or maybe FIXEA.ARC
that fixes some Electronic Arts games to work under 1.2.  Actually,
the problem isn't 1.2... it's the presence of expansion (FAST) RAM.
I had the games running under 1.2 just fine until I bought my StarboardII.

	In frustration, I wrote to Electronic Arts, asking them how I
might modify the bootblock of the disk to prevent expansion RAM from
being seen.  EA wrote back saying that it is their official policy not
to assist users in modifying their software.  Normally, I would agree
with this policy, but with Archon & Archon II being "dead" products
(EA has officially announced that they will not upgrade them to work
with 1.2/expansion RAM), it is kind of silly!

	Maybe some enterprising hacker can figure out how to modify
that bootblock; it is totally non-standard, though.  I've tried all
those programs that make your disks boot without seeing expansion
RAM, but they don't work.