[comp.sys.amiga] Creating a CLI

will1990@dunkirk.DKK (The phone Cops) (04/09/89)

Being a one drive user, I am trying to create a disk that will boot on
its own, run a vt100 emulator (handshake) from icon, and be able
to open a CLI (or shell, whatever) for disk activity... such as
unarcing and copying, etc.

Simple task, right....?
So I get everything working fine, having all the neccessary libs, devs
and handlers, etc. I try to get a CLI, first by copying it over(including)
s:CLi-STartup, and everything that even looked like it was neccassary..
But when I run it(double click the icon), it opens a CLI window for
a split second and closes it up again.  I've even tried using the WB1.2
prefs to "turn on a CLI" (1.3 doesn't have this feature), assigning C:
, and everything I can Think of.

I cannot understand what I'm doing wrong, any suggestions?

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (04/09/89)

In article <149@dunkirk.DKK> will1990@dunkirk.UUCP (The phone Cops) writes:

>Being a one drive user, I am trying to create a disk that will boot on
>its own, run a vt100 emulator (handshake) from icon, and be able
>to open a CLI (or shell, whatever) for disk activity... such as
>unarcing and copying, etc.
>
>Simple task, right....?
>So I get everything working fine, having all the neccessary libs, devs
>and handlers, etc. I try to get a CLI, first by copying it over(including)
>s:CLi-STartup, and everything that even looked like it was neccassary..
>But when I run it(double click the icon), it opens a CLI window for
>a split second and closes it up again.  I've even tried using the WB1.2
>prefs to "turn on a CLI" (1.3 doesn't have this feature), assigning C:
>, and everything I can Think of.
>
>I cannot understand what I'm doing wrong, any suggestions?

Just a wild assed guess, but could you be running out of memory ?

I loathe handshake because it's so obese (100K), but I't the only thing
I've founf that works reliabaly with 48 lines of vi. Comm works fine
in 24 line mode, but screws up in 48 line mode.

If I'm modeming, I usually have to exit handshake to do something else,
and then get back into it. Sick.

So if you are having trouble with lack of memory (I have 1 MB) maybe you
could use Comm or Jez Sans little 8K Amigoterm. Both are on PLINK.

Where's my $5 kickback, Laser ?

--
  ``The second big surprise was that horse conchs, the biggest, baddest, most
       fearsome univalves in the Atlantic Ocean, like cooked squash.''

richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

rdnelson@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Roger D Nelson) (04/09/89)

In article <14456@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>>Being a one drive user, I am trying to create a disk that will boot on
>>its own, run a vt100 emulator (handshake) from icon, and be able
>>to open a CLI (or shell, whatever) for disk activity... such as
	[stuff deleted]
>>But when I run it(double click the icon), it opens a CLI window for
>>a split second and closes it up again.  I've even tried using the WB1.2
	[stuff deleted]
>>I cannot understand what I'm doing wrong, any suggestions?

There is a PD program called PopCLI that allows you to open
a new CLI any time by a single two-key stroke.  It is
available on Fish disk #40, and perhaps elsewhere.

Roger Nelson  rdnelson@phoenix.princeton.edu

will1990@dunkirk.DKK (The phone Cops) (04/09/89)

>Just a wild assed guess, but could you be running out of memory ?
>
>I loathe handshake because it's so obese (100K), but I't the only thing
>I've founf that works reliabaly with 48 lines of vi. Comm works fine
>in 24 line mode, but screws up in 48 line mode.
>If I'm modeming, I usually have to exit handshake to do something else,
>and then get back into it. Sick.

..no no no, your missing the whole point. It doesn't matter what I have
for a program, Handshake was just an example.  I have 1 meg of memory
but that should not matter anyway.  What I  need to know is all the
neccessary handlers, librarys, devices, C commands, keymaps(maybe?)
and S: files that will cause a working CLI when clicked from the
Icon.

One more question, I remember the Ask command could be used in the startup
sequence.. but I can't remember the IF condition to use it.  It doesn't
seem to be in the manaul that I have.

-mike

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (04/10/89)

In article <149@dunkirk.DKK> will1990@dunkirk.DKK (The phone Cops) writes:
>Being a one drive user, I am trying to create a disk that will boot on
>its own, run a vt100 emulator (handshake) from icon, and be able
>to open a CLI (or shell, whatever) for disk activity... such as
>unarcing and copying, etc.
>
>Simple task, right....?
>So I get everything working fine, having all the neccessary libs, devs
>and handlers, etc. I try to get a CLI, first by copying it over(including)
>s:CLi-STartup, and everything that even looked like it was neccassary..
>But when I run it(double click the icon), it opens a CLI window for
>a split second and closes it up again.  I've even tried using the WB1.2
>prefs to "turn on a CLI" (1.3 doesn't have this feature), assigning C:
>, and everything I can Think of.
>
>I cannot understand what I'm doing wrong, any suggestions?

     I had the same thing happen to me one time when creating a
Workbench disk, so I put files back one at a time until it started
working again.  The mystery file is RUN.  It seems you need RUN to
open a CLI.  Try adding RUN to the C: directory of your new boot disk
and everything should work fine.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
My Amiga IS a PC!  It says "Personal Computer" right on the box!

iphwk@MTSUNIX1.BITNET (Bill Kinnersley) (04/10/89)

[In "Re: Creating a CLI", Richard Sexton said:]
:
: I loathe handshake because it's so obese (100K), but I't the only thing
: I've founf that works reliabaly with 48 lines of vi. Comm works fine
: in 24 line mode, but screws up in 48 line mode.
:
: If I'm modeming, I usually have to exit handshake to do something else,
: and then get back into it. Sick.
:
: richard@gryphon.COM decwrl!gryphon!richard gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV
:
Gotta put in a plug for my favorite terminal program here!
VLT works just fine with vi and 48 lines -- I use 52 in fact.
(Although it is equally obese.)

--
--Bill Kinnersley
  Physics Department   Montana State University    Bozeman, MT 59717

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (04/11/89)

In article <149@dunkirk.DKK> will1990@dunkirk.UUCP (The phone Cops) writes:
>and handlers, etc. I try to get a CLI, first by copying it over(including)
>s:CLi-STartup, and everything that even looked like it was neccassary..

Make sure you have sys:System/CLI as well as C:Run on your boot
disk.
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Give me a Standard large enough, and a Committee to discuss it,
 and I will prevent the Earth from moving."

ugkamins@sunybcs.uucp (John Kaminski) (04/11/89)

In article <149@dunkirk.DKK> will1990@dunkirk.UUCP (The phone Cops) writes:

>Being a one drive user, I am trying to create a disk that will boot on
>its own, run a vt100 emulator (handshake) from icon, and be able
>to open a CLI (or shell, whatever) for disk activity... such as
>unarcing and copying, etc.
>
>Simple task, right....?
>So I get everything working fine, having all the neccessary libs, devs
>and handlers, etc.

Are you sure?  You have C:Run sitting there waiting?  I had similar "rude
awakenings" when trying to get a CLI going.  I believe the basic algorithm
for the program goes something like:

open a new unit of the console to run the CLI (i.e., Open("CON:etc.",...))
call Execute() with the 2nd & 3rd args as pointers to the FileHandle just
    obtained with that Open() call

and of course, STOOPID Execute() just HAS to have C:Run to accomplish anything

>I try to get a CLI, first by copying it over(including)
>s:CLi-STartup, and everything that even looked like it was neccassary..
                                                            ^^^^^^^^^^
                                                            necessary?
>But when I run it(double click the icon), it opens a CLI window for
>a split second and closes it up again.  I've even tried using the WB1.2
>prefs to "turn on a CLI" (1.3 doesn't have this feature), assigning C:
>, and everything I can Think of.
>
>I cannot understand what I'm doing wrong, any suggestions?

Let us know if that was the problem.  That was what my problem was.

Well, OK, my news poster is complaining about including more stuff than
what I actually wrote, so let's hope I can type enough stuff here to make
my news poster think a little differently about the ratios of new text to
included text.  One can only hope.  Hmmm....maybe a .sig.....

     //     "Do we get what we deserve,
    //       or deserve what we get?"  -- me
  \X/  The Amiga 1000 vows to never die

jms@antares.UUCP (Joe Smith) (04/16/89)

In article <149@dunkirk.DKK> will1990@dunkirk.UUCP (The phone Cops) writes:

>Being a one drive user, I am trying to create a disk that will boot on
>its own, run a vt100 emulator (handshake) from icon, and be able
>to open a CLI (or shell, whatever) for disk activity... such as
>unarcing and copying, etc.

I have the following startup-sequence on my "vt100" disk:

setpatch >nil:
stack 50000
setmap usa1
run vt100
wait 18
dmouse -s0
setclock opt load
newcli con:8/70/632/130/CLI
echo "This window will go away when VT100 exits."
loadwb
endcli

The "wait 18" is overkill, it was optimal for the version of vt100 that needed
to read in j132.font.  The main thing is that I can press F10 (which dials
the phone) and get logged in without having to wait for WorkBench to finish
gronking the disks.  In many cases it is more convenient to start up a
second CLI from your startup-sequence and punt off the original CLI.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | jms@antares.Tymnet.COM or jms@tymix.Tymnet.COM
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!antares!jms

davidb@utpsych.toronto.edu (David Brodbeck) (04/19/89)

In article <149@dunkirk.DKK> will1990@dunkirk.UUCP (The phone Cops) writes:

>Being a one drive user, I am trying to create a disk that will boot on
>its own, run a vt100 emulator (handshake) from icon, and be able
>to open a CLI (or shell, whatever) for disk activity... such as
>unarcing and copying, etc.
>
>Simple task, right....?
>So I get everything working fine, having all the neccessary libs, devs
>and handlers, etc. I try to get a CLI, first by copying it over(including)
>s:CLi-STartup, and everything that even looked like it was neccassary..
>But when I run it(double click the icon), it opens a CLI window for
>a split second and closes it up again.  I've even tried using the WB1.2
>prefs to "turn on a CLI" (1.3 doesn't have this feature), assigning C:
>, and everything I can Think of.
>
>I cannot understand what I'm doing wrong, any suggestions?

	Just don't issue then endcli command in the startup-sequence, voila
you are left with a cli!
      //  | Dave Brodbeck - University of Toronto Psychology |   GO
     //   | davidb@psych.toronto.edu   davidb@ziebmef.UUCP      HABS
\\  //    | brodbeck@vm.utcs.utoronto.ca                     |  G O