[comp.sys.amiga] HP Deskjet Blues

raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) (04/15/89)

	I have an Hp deskjet and although the printout is very nice, I have a
devil of a time getting it to work with most of my software.  It works fine
with wordperfect, but I have trouble getting it to print out correctly with
the deskjet driver from 1.3!  As well as that, I bought the epson fx emulation
cartridge to use proportional fonts, but it would not respond to the epson X
driver in 1.3.  I don't have the epson cartridge anymore, but I still have a
slew of problems.  If anybody has an deskjet and it using it successfully with
anything besides wordperfect and single page printouts from the deskjet driver
in 1.3, I would appreciate hearing about it.  Also, I've heard a rumour that
without expanded memory, it won't be able to print graphics of more than 3
inches a page on some programs.  Has anybody else heard this?

			Thanks,
				Russell Williams

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (04/15/89)

In article <4319@alvin.mcnc.org>, raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) writes:
> 	I have an Hp deskjet and although the printout is very nice, I have a
> devil of a time getting it to work with most of my software.  It works fine

Hmm, the HP DeskJet *should* work just fine.  I know it did when I had it.
I wouldn't use it in Epson compatible mode; you are throwing away all the
nice features of the printer thereby.

The RAM cartridge has *nothing* to do with graphics; it is only for
downloading fonts.

It looks like the DeskJet and the DJ+ are taking over the slot once
reserved by 24-pin printers.

-tom

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (04/18/89)

Russell,

>	I have an Hp deskjet and although the printout is very nice, I have a
>devil of a time getting it to work with most of my software.  It works fine

I have a DeskJet I've been using for quite some time. I've NEVER had a
problem with it.

>with wordperfect, but I have trouble getting it to print out correctly with
>the deskjet driver from 1.3!  As well as that, I bought the epson fx emulation

I mostly use it to print things via the, "copy" command.
The files are created with "Z" (editor included with MANX C) and Ed etc.
I have also use printed from things like "Scribble!", "PageSetter" (although
the print quality was awful - it wasn't due to the DeskJet.), and "Tax Break".

>driver in 1.3.  I don't have the epson cartridge anymore, but I still have a

I never used the cartridge.

>anything besides wordperfect and single page printouts from the deskjet driver
>in 1.3, I would appreciate hearing about it.  Also, I've heard a rumour that

I do multipage printouts all the time.

>without expanded memory, it won't be able to print graphics of more than 3
>inches a page on some programs.  Has anybody else heard this?

Expanded memory where?? The amount of memory in the DeskJet makes no difference
how graphics are printed, except to maybe speed it up a bit.
It is used to download fonts.

HOWEVER, I could not print some graphic IRS form 1040 from "Tax Break",
because there was not enough memory in my 512K Amiga. The non-graphic form
1040 printed fine, as did all the other forms.

By the way -- I have a vanilla Amiga 1000 with 512K ( :-( ), and
use the Centronics interface.

You may have some problems if you use the serial interface, and it is not
configured properly. (You didn't say what your problems are.) I sometimes
use a serial PaintJet and have problems until I get the cable right and the
serial port configured properly. (I always seem to forget how the heck I
set it up for the printer.)

DIsclaimer: I work for a different part of HP than those who make the DeskJet.
            I just like the printer.

I hope this helps,

Dave S.

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (04/18/89)

>	I have an Hp deskjet and although the printout is very nice, I have a
>devil of a time getting it to work with most of my software.  It works fine
>with wordperfect, but I have trouble getting it to print out correctly with
>the deskjet driver from 1.3!  As well as that, I bought the epson fx emulation
>cartridge to use proportional fonts, but it would not respond to the epson X
>driver in 1.3.  I don't have the epson cartridge anymore, but I still have a
>slew of problems.  If anybody has an deskjet and it using it successfully with
>anything besides wordperfect and single page printouts from the deskjet driver
>in 1.3, I would appreciate hearing about it.  Also, I've heard a rumour that
>without expanded memory, it won't be able to print graphics of more than 3
>inches a page on some programs.  Has anybody else heard this?

    I've had my deskjet for over 6 months and have had no problems printing with
anything, since I installed the 1.3  printer device and deskjet driver. Prior
to installing the 1.3 printer device I had all kinds of problems. I use it
reguraly on DPII, Scribble (horrible word processor), Money Mentor, etc. If
you are using the 1.3 driver for the deskjet you must have the 1.3 driver
installed. I have no additional cartridges installed but have experimented
heavly with the preferences setting ( even the ones that they say only apply
to color -- they do affect gray scale dumps!). Most of my DPII printouts are
done sideways though to better fill a sheet. One last thought, check your
deskjet switch settings, mine are still on the factory defaults, if you've
changed any maybe they are confusing it.

Monty

"	All side effects are effects."
"	We can never do merely one thing."
"			--First Law of Ecology"

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (04/19/89)

>>of problems.  If anybody has an deskjet and it using it successfully with

>  I've had my deskjet for over 6 months and have had no problems printing with
>anything, since I installed the 1.3  printer device and deskjet driver. Prior

If there is anyone using WB 1.2 you can use the HPLaserJet driver.
I found the LaserJet Plus (I think that's what it's called anyhow.)
The LaserJet I driver worked, but the output quality was not nearly
as nice. From what I understand though the LaserJet drivers will not
support proportional spaced fonts.

I also use the default switch settings too.

Hope this helps,

Dave S.