[comp.sys.amiga] request for info on Mac-emulators

werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (04/12/89)

Kannst Du mir die Preise bei Euch fuer so ein Ding nennen und was so
alles dabei ist (Hard-/Software) ?
Funktioniert das dann auch mit dem Amiga 2000 Modell A oder mit welchen
Modellen funktioniert es ueberhaupt (A1000, A500, A2000 A, A2000 B) ?

Hello,

   a friend in Europe asked me to investigate the details on
Macintosh-emulating devices for the Amiga-line, hardware and/or
software required.

I would appreciate being contacted by readers of this group who either
have a collection of relevant articles or are otherwise able and
willing to provide a few relevant answers and pointers.

			Cheers,		---Werner

--------------------------> please send REPLIES to <------------------------
INTERNET:    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu     (Internet # 128.83.144.1)
     or:	  werner%rascal.ics.utexas.edu@cs.utexas.edu
UUCP:     ...<well-connected-site>!cs.utexas.edu!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!werner
ALTERNATIVE:   werner@astro.as.utexas.edu   OR    werner@utastro.UUCP

alh@hprmokg.HP.COM (Al Harrington) (04/17/89)

I don't recall the company name (I can find out) but the Mac emulator is
due out any day now.  It should be under $200 and will run Mac software
*faster* than a Mac.  To take full advantage of it you should hook a Mac
drive up to the expansion box (cartrige).

Here's the catch.  You need a Mac bios!  Good luck on getting one of those
(legally).

Send me email if you want more detailed info.  I can get it.

+-----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| -Al Harrington                     //// |       Instant Guru BBS          |
|    ________                       ////  |        (916) 488-9278           |
|    |__/\__|                 \\\\ ////   |    120 Megs - All Amiga!        |
|                              \\\X///    |    Over 1000 files online       |
| alh@hprmo.HP.COM              \XXX/     |   Baud: 1200/2400 Hours: 24     |
| ..{hplabs,hp-sde}!hprmo!alh             |  PCPursuit:  CASAC 1200/2400    |
+-----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
|  My comments in no way reflect the views or opinions of Hewlett-Packard   |

echarne@orion.cf.uci.edu (Eli B. Charne) (04/18/89)

In article <13240020@hprmokg.HP.COM> alh@hprmokg.HP.COM (Al Harrington) writes:
>I don't recall the company name (I can find out) but the Mac emulator is
>due out any day now.  It should be under $200 and will run Mac software
>*faster* than a Mac.  To take full advantage of it you should hook a Mac
>drive up to the expansion box (cartrige).
>
>Here's the catch.  You need a Mac bios!  Good luck on getting one of those
>(legally).

  Wait!! I Know!!!!

    You can buy a new Mac, then rip it a part, put the roms into the emulator,
    and toss the Mac away (who needs em?)!! Yeah It'd be great...

    uh. And doing it like that isn't illegal.. ?is it?

Actually tho, I would like any information you (or anyone else has) on this
emulator.

                                                    -Eli

--
Eli Charne

alh@hprmokg.HP.COM (Al Harrington) (04/20/89)

Here's the info I have (I think it's taken from an ad):

"A-Max" by ReadySoft.  $199 retail.

Plugs into external drive port.  Needs Mac 64K or 128K ROMS (some
applications need the 128K ROMS -- won't work with the 64K ROMS).

It will use the Amiga serial and par. ports.  Supports 4 or 5 different
screen formats (including 640x400 and the mac size 512x345).

In order to take full advantage of it and use all the features you'll need
a Mac drive (which you can plug into the cartridge).  If you do not have a
Mac drive you can not format Mac disks.  It comes with xfer programs to convert
Amiga files to Mac files etc..

It will use all available RAM and it *will not* use the Amiga hard drive.

That's about all I have.  Check the latest issue of AmigaWorld for the ad.

+-----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+

frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) (04/20/89)

In article <13240020@hprmokg.HP.COM> alh@hprmokg.HP.COM (Al Harrington) writes:
>I don't recall the company name (I can find out) but the Mac emulator is
>due out any day now.  It should be under $200 and will run Mac software
>*faster* than a Mac.  To take full advantage of it you should hook a Mac
>drive up to the expansion box (cartrige).
>
>Here's the catch.  You need a Mac bios!  Good luck on getting one of those
>(legally).

There's another catch, at least according to an ad for A-Max which appeared
in a U.K. magazine that I saw this week; the small print in the ad (of which
there is a lot) said that while the emulator was running, only the floppy
drives were accessible.  As far as I'm concerned, that kills the product
for me; I want any product like this to work with my hard drive too.  I
appreciate the problems involved, but nevertheless a floppy-only Mac wouldn't
be useful to me.
--
Frank Wales, Systems Manager,        [frank@zen.co.uk<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217