[comp.sys.amiga] The 1.4 wish you FORGOT!

jwl@Feanor.Stanford.EDU (John Lockhart) (04/21/89)

In article <777@rex.cs.tulane.edu> dennison@rex.UUCP (Theodore Dennison) writes:
>My entry for the wish list? Get rid of the execute command and change
>AmigaDOS to try to load non-object files as script files, like MS-DOS does.
 [stuff deleted]
>T.E.D.

Um, it already works.  Or at least, my setup does.  When it's presented with
the name of a file which has its script bit set, WShell executes the file.
Oh yes, said script file should reside either in the current directory or
in S:.  I don't know that WShell even uses c:execute to do this; I
don't think so.

C:Execute still has its uses, though...for all those scripts
without their bits set right :-)

                         -- John Lockhart
              jwl@feanor.stanford.edu   BIX: jlockhart

ugkamins@sunybcs.uucp (John Kaminski) (04/21/89)

In article <8645@polya.Stanford.EDU> jwl@Feanor.Stanford.EDU (John Lockhart) writes:
[ chuck execute and just type the script filename ]

>Um, it already works.  Or at least, my setup does.  When it's presented with
>the name of a file which has its script bit set, WShell executes the file.
>Oh yes, said script file should reside either in the current directory or
>in S:.  I don't know that WShell even uses c:execute to do this; I
>don't think so.

the standard amigashell uses c:execute ... found this out when making my
system convenient to use..... it didn't QUITE know how to find "co" (a
throwback to my Primos daze :^) which is simply execute renamed to co.

>C:Execute still has its uses, though...for all those scripts
>without their bits set right :-)

That, and backward compatiblility.  It abolutely irritates me to use AmigaDOS
names, so renaming seemed to be the thing to do.  But at that time, noone
explained s:shell-startup nor alias to me, and I'm too lazy to change it
back.  Well, I also want to see the new (coincidentally UNIXified) command
names when I ls (I mean, um, dir) c:

As an aside, any of you ever used Primos?  Can any of you imagine writing a
BBS in CPL?  I did.  Really!  Can any of you imagine writing a BBS with Amiga
shell script commands?  CPL isn't quite that bad, because CPL has backward
branches, and as I understand it, the shell can only SKIP foreward.  Well,
I might mention that this CPL BBS had a mail system and a general message
base, and no transfer section (there was no need for it...this was just
a message disseminator for the Comp. Club).

manes@cs.odu.edu (Mark Manes) (04/22/89)

In article <UYHTJ3y00Vsf81ah1g@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>manes@cs.odu.edu (Mark Manes) writes:
>> -->  Please fix it so that you can start another file besides shell
>>      startup when you activate the shell.  I might want to have different
>>      shell scripts depending on where my shell is, or what I am doing...
>>
>I believe this is already possible:
>
>NewShell FROM s:other-shell-startup
>
>is an example.

I wish it to work from the Workbench as well. :-)  I know that you can
say it from the CLI.

>--
>Michael Portuesi * Information Technology Center * Carnegie Mellon University
>INET: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu * BITNET: mp1u+@andrew
>UUCP: ...harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!mp1u+
>MAIL: Carnegie Mellon University, P.O. Box 259, Pittsburgh, PA  15213
>
>"Why do I live the way I do
> ain't it obvious I'm just a man like you"	--Boy George

Mark D. Manes                                          "In Amiga We Trust"
Programmer of Fortune, have compiler will travel

"Only Amiga makes it Possible, but with 1 meg its hell!"

wilde@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Nick Wilde) (04/22/89)

>>manes@cs.odu.edu (Mark Manes) writes:
>>> -->  Please fix it so that you can start another file besides shell
>>>      startup when you activate the shell.  I might want to have different
>>
>>I believe this is already possible:
>>NewShell FROM s:other-shell-startup
>>is an example.
>>
>I wish it to work from the Workbench as well. :-)  I know that you can
>say it from the CLI.

I thought that's what iconx (or Xicon, which is it these days ?) is all about.
Anything that can be done from a CLI script can be done from an icon,  using
one of the above..

.