[comp.sys.amiga] what is wrong with CBM?

MCARTSHA@UREGINA1.BITNET (Shan Mcarthur) (04/12/89)

Hi.
Could someone please tell my why they stopped selling the 1080 monitor and
switched to the 1084 and the 1084S?  I have a 1080 which has a nice picture,
except for the little jaggies at eh right edge of the screen sometimes.
My friend has a 1084.  Sure, he has more little nobs to turn, but his screen
is not glare reduced like the 1080.  Also, the 1084 is a totally INFERIOR
monitor.  All the people I have talked to say that they have trouble with
their monitors ARCING.   Every three to five minutes, the screen jumps around,
or a few glitches appear on the screen.  This is VERY agrevating!  In my books,
someone has screwed up bad letting the company who is supplying the monitors
to have the contract.  I suggest that more people complain to make commodore
change suppliers, or to at least put some presure on the suppliers to fix this
obserdity!  I was told it is a static build up that causes this, but then they
should put something in the monitor to drain it properly.
I don't see why someone should pay ~$600 for a monitor that can't even produce
a proper video image!  If I have offended anyone, I am sorry; but it is not
acceptable at all.  Thank you for your ears, I hope I didn't deafen you.
Shan

P.S. could someone please send me the E-mail address of CBM complaint dept.
so I can lodge a formal complaint?

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (04/14/89)

In article <8904130052.AA28103@jade.berkeley.edu> Shan Mcarthur writes:
>I don't see why someone should pay ~$600 for a monitor that can't even produce
>a proper video image!

$600??? For a 1084(S)? That seems a bit overpriced.

People are always ragging on the Commodore monitors; my wife and I are
happy with both our 1080 and 1084S; no problems ever. The 1080 we've had
for three years, and the 1084S we've had since September. It's been on
at least 8 hrs a day, as it is used as a color TV as well as being
connected to an Amiga.

True, we will get a multisync someday and get a far better picture
and dot pitch and new Amiga modes, perhaps, but in the meantime the Commodore
monitors have served well...  (Are we the only ones who think so, I wonder?)

Ali

[complaints about 1084 monitor]

From what I was told at our local store, CBM realized the error of their
ways with the 1084, and fixed them by coming out with the 1084s.
The 1084s is supposed to have a much better picture, and not have the
arcing problem.

Disclaimer: That's just what the local dealer told me. I use a Sony
1201CPD monitor, mucho nice!

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
[not for RHF] |          sparks@corpane.UUCP         | 502/968-5401 thru -5406

hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) (04/15/89)

Talking about the Commodore 1080 monitor;
<8904130052.AA28103@jade.berkeley.edu> <8449@polya.Stanford.EDU>

I would tend to agree with Ali that the 1080 is a VERY GOOD BUY for
the price.  The $600 is probably the suggested list price; I don't
know anyone who paid that kind of money for that monitor.  I leave my
computer on all the time.  I have used the 1080 with the A1000 I had
and the A2000 that I now have.  It's hard to get a hi-res monitor for
that kind of price.  I'll get a multi-sync one day too but until then
not only will the 1080 have to do but it does very well indeed.

mark
--
     ___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---___---

     H.M. Hubey                      INTERNET:  hubey@pilot.njin.net
 hubey@OSultrix.montclair.edu         VOICE:   201-893-5269
 hubey@apollo.montclair.edu
     ____----____----____----____----____----____----____----

840445m@aucs.UUCP (Alan W. McKay) (04/15/89)

In article <Apr.14.13.51.59.1989.914@pilot.njin.net> hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) writes:

>Talking about the Commodore 1080 monitor;
><8904130052.AA28103@jade.berkeley.edu> <8449@polya.Stanford.EDU>
>

>I would tend to agree with Ali that the 1080 is a VERY GOOD BUY for
>the price.  The $600 is probably the suggested list price; I don't
>know anyone who paid that kind of money for that monitor.  I leave my

I should hope you don't pay $600 for it.  I can get it for $580 Canadian
which means you guys down south should be able to pick it up for about
$450 U.S.   Anybody wish to confirm this?

--
% Alan W. McKay     %                                             %
% Acadia University %   " The world needs more Socrates           %

bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu (Ben W. Discoe) (04/16/89)

In article <1797@aucs.UUCP> 840445m@aucs.UUCP (Alan W. McKay) writes:
>In article <...> hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) writes:
>>Talking about the Commodore 1080 monitor;
>>
>>the price.  The $600 is probably the suggested list price; I don't
>>know anyone who paid that kind of money for that monitor.  I leave my
>
>I should hope you don't pay $600 for it.  I can get it for $580 Canadian
>which means you guys down south should be able to pick it up for about
>$450 U.S.   Anybody wish to confirm this?

This is ridiculous.  When I bought my Amiga (Dec. 85) I paid FULL RETAIL for
the monitor (499.95).  Since then the price has only gone down.  In fact,
at one point they were throwing in the monitor for FREE with the system's
purchase.  Checking the latest mail-order ads, the latest Amiga monitor is
about $280-300.

It's not really all that great a monitor (largely spaced scan lines) but
interlace solves that.

Sorry if this isn't really an important point...
No Eyes No Ears No Nose No Sig-na-ture No Per-cep-tion of Con-scious-ness...

beh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Bob Hruska) (04/16/89)

From article <551@corpane.UUCP>, by sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks):
> [complaints about 1084 monitor]
>
> From what I was told at our local store, CBM realized the error of their
> ways with the 1084, and fixed them by coming out with the 1084s.
> The 1084s is supposed to have a much better picture, and not have the
> arcing problem.
>
> Disclaimer: That's just what the local dealer told me. I use a Sony
> 1201CPD monitor, mucho nice!

One thing I did notice about the 1084S is that it can't use NEARLY as many
rows/columns with MoreRows.  I have my workbench set up so that CLI's are
a full 80 columns and 25 lines, and I still have room to spare on my borders.
My roommates 1084S doesn't even quite fit my CLI on it.  Is this a sign of
the monitor being 'cheaper'?

--
Bob Hruska   University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network (CAEN)

INTERNET: beh@caen.engin.umich.edu
    UUCP: {umix|ucbvax|uunet}!caen.engin.umich.edu!beh

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (04/17/89)

In article <42ab6bca.1285f@maize.engin.umich.edu> beh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Bob Hruska) writes:
>One thing I did notice about the 1084S is that it can't use NEARLY as many
>rows/columns with MoreRows.
>My roommates 1084S doesn't even quite fit my CLI on it.  Is this a sign of
>the monitor being 'cheaper'?

Well, I have a 1084 and let's see how many extra rows I'm getting....
My MoreRows is set to rows=+32, Columns=+64. I think your friend may have
overlooked the little knobs in the back marked "horizontal size" and
"vertical size" or whatever (I've never actually seen them; I just reach
behind and twiddle 'em :) ).

Robert Jude Kudla "Disclaimers are for wimps"       userfw3s@rpitsmts.BITNET
\      //  Funk Bass: anything else is just grody.        kudla@pawl.rpi.edu
 \    //                                     "I believe in watching you...."
/ \ \X/  Keywords: Oldfield Yes U2 REM Zeppelin F.G.T.H.  .....and even Rush

drz@csri.toronto.edu (Jerry Zarycky) (04/17/89)

In article <42ab6bca.1285f@maize.engin.umich.edu> beh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Bob Hruska) writes:
>One thing I did notice about the 1084S is that it can't use NEARLY as many
>rows/columns with MoreRows.  I have my workbench set up so that CLI's are
>a full 80 columns and 25 lines, and I still have room to spare on my borders.
>My roommates 1084S doesn't even quite fit my CLI on it.  Is this a sign of
>the monitor being 'cheaper'?

There are a few "knobs" on the BACK of the 1084S that you can twiddle.
They vary the amount of the picture that is displayed (i.e) you can horizontally
and vertically center and shrink/expand the amount viewable.
I imagine your friend has his monitor set up slightly differently than yours.

>--
>Bob Hruska   University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network (CAEN)
>
>INTERNET: beh@caen.engin.umich.edu
>    UUCP: {umix|ucbvax|uunet}!caen.engin.umich.edu!beh

Jerry Zarycky

Usenet:	{uunet,watmath}!csri.toronto.edu!drz
CSNET:	drz@csri.toronto.edu         EAN:   drz@csri.toronto.cdn
BITNET:	drz@csri.utoronto

sysop@tlvx.UUCP (SysOp) (04/17/89)

In article <8449@polya.Stanford.EDU>, ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) writes:
> In article <8904130052.AA28103@jade.berkeley.edu> Shan Mcarthur writes:
> >I don't see why someone should pay ~$600 for a monitor that can't even produce
> >a proper video image!
>
> $600??? For a 1084(S)? That seems a bit overpriced.

This struck me as odd too.  It sounds like the author was referring to the
Amiga monitor to me though (which cost around $400 when I got mine 3 years
ago, if I recall correctly, and seems to be about $350 now).

Have I been using an Amiga monitor for 3 years without realizing that it
doesn't have a "proper video image"? ;-)  (Then again, after using a TV
as a monitor for a while, anything would look great!)

> happy with both our 1080 and 1084S; no problems ever.

[misc deleted]

> monitors have served well...  (Are we the only ones who think so, I wonder?)
>
> Ali

No, I think the Amiga monitor is great for what it does.  I wish I could get
400 vertical lines without the flicker, but otherwise, it's great.

Recently, I've seen postings about mice going bad.  I still have my original
mouse, too, with no problems.  I like the Amiga mouse better than any I've
used on any machine (except for one, maybe).  The Amiga mouse does need an
occasional cleaning; like others posted, you need to take the dark stuff
off of the rollers (and even if you use mouse pads, you'll still need to do
this).  I remember seeing something in the manual that comes with the machine
which describes how to clean the mouse, so this is nothing new.

Disclaimer?  It's just my opinion....

Gary "I want a color laptop Amiga" Wolfe   ..!uunet!hite386!tlvx!sysop

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (04/18/89)

From article <42ab6bca.1285f@maize.engin.umich.edu:, by beh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Bob Hruska):
:
: One thing I did notice about the 1084S is that it can't use NEARLY as many
: rows/columns with MoreRows.  I have my workbench set up so that CLI's are
: a full 80 columns and 25 lines, and I still have room to spare on my borders.
: My roommates 1084S doesn't even quite fit my CLI on it.  Is this a sign of
: the monitor being 'cheaper'?

	Nope, it a sign that you haven't twiddled with the knobs enough...
the 1084S has adjustments for both horizontal and verticle size.

	BTW, the newest new monitors from C= (1084SD) are back to the 1080
look! I like that much better...

: --
: Bob Hruska   University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network (CAEN)
:
: INTERNET: beh@caen.engin.umich.edu
:     UUCP: {umix|ucbvax|uunet}!caen.engin.umich.edu!beh
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent.UUCP!blowpig!billsey

keithd@gryphon.COM (Keith Doyle) (04/22/89)

In article <10434@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Ben W. Discoe) writes:
>   I am almost sure the reason Commodore switched was cost - they found a
>source of cheap monitors which could replace the 1080's quite easily.
>Indeed. the "original" Amiga monitors are very nice, and the others brands
>(I am convinced they have gone through several OEM's) have been much
>worse.  Arcing and the glare were among the problems, but from everything
>I've seen and heard,
>
>   THEY'VE SWITCHED BACK NOW!  so GIVE C= A BREAK!

Then I'd highly recommend that they use a new number, 1090S or something,
to disassociate the new monitor from the flaky ones.  I'd like to tell
people, "Make sure you get a 1090S" instead of "To be safe, you'd better
buy a Sony somethingorother or a used 1080".

Keith Doyle
keithd@gryphon.COM    gryphon!keithd     gryphon!keithd@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

In article <111400036@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jrw10536@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Could someone please tell my why they stopped selling the 1080 monitor and
>switched to the 1084 and the 1084S?

Dain bramage I'd guess.

>  I have a 1080 which has a nice picture,
>except for the little jaggies at eh right edge of the screen sometimes.

That's because you've got your contrast and/or brightness cranked up too high.
the 1084 will do that too under those conditions.  They do not all do it to
the same degree.

>My friend has a 1084.  Sure, he has more little nobs to turn, but his screen
>is not glare reduced like the 1080.

I agree, I hate shiny tube monitors.  All I can see is the lights in
the room.