[comp.sys.amiga] OLD TIMERS

iphwk@TERRA.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU (Bill Kinnersley) (04/11/89)

[In "Re: one disk drive", Theodore Dennison said:]
:
: In article <4755@charon.unm.edu> hansb@ariel.unm.edu (The Amiga Programmer)
:  writes:
: >
: >***********************    Hans Bechtel
: >* Amiga Before    /   *
: >*      The Rest  /    *    hansb@ariel.unm.edu
: >************** \/ *****    (505) 275-2797
:
: Realy? When did you get yours? I bought my Amiga in November of 1985. I have
: met very few who have that beat! (And most of them work for C/A)
:
: T.E.D.
:

October 26, 1985.  In Montana, no less.

--
--Bill Kinnersley
  Physics Department   Montana State University    Bozeman, MT 59717

hrlaser@sactoh0.UUCP (Harv R. Laser) (04/12/89)

In article <8904110011.AA13584@terra.oscs.montana.edu>, iphwk@TERRA.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU (Bill Kinnersley) writes:
> [In "Re: one disk drive", Theodore Dennison said:]
> :
> : In article <4755@charon.unm.edu> hansb@ariel.unm.edu (The Amiga Programmer)
> :  writes:
> : Realy? When did you get yours? I bought my Amiga in November of 1985. I have
>
> October 26, 1985.  In Montana, no less.

October 7, 1985.  Not even a developer's system either. (I really
wanted the 1070 monitor :-(
By the way, she's still running strong. NO hardware failures of
any kind in 3.5 years.  I wish everything I bought was built as
well as my A1000.

| Harv Laser                  |  SAC-UNIX, Sacramento, Ca.  |
| Plink: CBM*HARV             |  UUCP=...pacbell!sactoh0    |

dan@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Dan Schmelzer) (04/12/89)

I bought my amiga late October 1985.  My 1080 monitor took a couple
extra weeks to be delivered to the store.

	One of the original...

	Dan Schmelzer
	dan@hp-lsd.HP.COM

Bought my Amigas September 27, 1985.  Though I used some "loaners" 'til mine
"arrived" in an 18-wheeler screeching to a stop in front of my house at 7:12am
on October 25, 1985.

5 piles of Amigas, each 6' high.  These were the double-boxes: two Amiga CPU
boxes in each shipping box; the other boxes with docs and accessories and &tc.

I'll NEVER forget that morning, the ONLY time I never complained about being
"rudely" awakened early!

Been smilin' ever since!   :-)

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) (04/12/89)

In article <8904110011.AA13584@terra.oscs.montana.edu> iphwk@TERRA.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU (Bill Kinnersley) writes:
>[In "Re: one disk drive", Theodore Dennison said:]
>:
>: In article <4755@charon.unm.edu> hansb@ariel.unm.edu (The Amiga Programmer)
>:  writes:
>: >
>: >***********************    Hans Bechtel
>:
>
>October 26, 1985.  In Montana, no less.
>

>--
>--Bill Kinnersley

Well, Nov 2, 1985 beats most November purchases. And Amy is still running strong
as my second machine.

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and
					quit playing with dragons and knights.

In article <8904110011.AA13584@terra.oscs.montana.edu> iphwk@TERRA.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU (Bill Kinnersley) writes:
:[In "Re: one disk drive", Theodore Dennison said:]
:: In article <4755@charon.unm.edu> hansb@ariel.unm.edu (The Amiga Programmer)
::  writes:
:: >
:: >***********************    Hans Bechtel
:: >* Amiga Before    /   *
:: >*      The Rest  /    *    hansb@ariel.unm.edu
:: >************** \/ *****    (505) 275-2797
::
:: Realy? When did you get yours? I bought my Amiga in November of 1985. I have
:: met very few who have that beat! (And most of them work for C/A)
:
:October 26, 1985.  In Montana, no less.
:
	October 1, 1985, about a week before they started showing up in
stores.

	Has it really been 3-1/2 years?

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (04/13/89)

In article <11305@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:

>	October 1, 1985, about a week before they started showing up in
>stores.
>
>	Has it really been 3-1/2 years?

Yes it really has. Shane is three years old, and I got my amiga 6 months
after I got my Shane.

If any of you C= folk want to borrow him for a week or two he can STILL
crash ANY program ANY time just by hitting a few keystrokes. And I mean
CRASH.

--
       ``Parents who have children, have children who have children''
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (04/15/89)

From article <14638@gryphon.COM>, by richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton):
> In article <11305@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>>	Has it really been 3-1/2 years?
>
> Yes it really has. Shane is three years old, and I got my amiga 6 months
> after I got my Shane.

     That looks like 2.5 years to me.  I wonder which event made so small
an impression that you missed the date by a year. :)

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (04/18/89)

In article <624@jc3b21.UUCP> fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) writes:
>From article <14638@gryphon.COM>, by richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton):
>> In article <11305@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>>>	Has it really been 3-1/2 years?
>>
>> Yes it really has. Shane is three years old, and I got my amiga 6 months
>> after I got my Shane.
>
>     That looks like 2.5 years to me.  I wonder which event made so small
>an impression that you missed the date by a year. :)

I effed up.

1) get Amiga

2) get Shane (six months later)

3) get usenet account (six months later)

So much for all that software I was going to write.............

--
       ``But why are you taking your money out of a solvent bank ?''  - Me
          ``Because you can't get it out of an insolvent one'' - Him

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (04/23/89)

In article <13500@louie.udel.EDU> new@udel.EDU (Darren New) writes:
>In article <869@savax.UUCP> thompson@savax.UUCP (thompson mark) writes:
>>Funny thing is, it was a BYTE article that made decide on the Amiga.

I first heard about this Amiga-thing in January of 1984, when rumor
began to bounce around this a parallel dimensions about the hot new
graphics box. I finally saw it for real at the SIGGRAPH '85 in SF when
RJ, Bob Parisau (sp?) et al, were demonstrating it to the largest
crowd on the floor. I finally got one in December of 85 and have used
it almost on a daily basis since then. (Even got Jay Miner to sign
mine!)

When they first appeared in the stores I went to the local Computerland
to look at theirs. Their workbench disk had been trashed, so the only
thing I saw was the hand with the disk, and I stared at that for the longest
time, realizing that this was the future of computing |-)

          *** mike (cerbral GURU, insert M&Ms to restart) smithwick***
"Oh, I'm just a NOP in the instruction set of life, oh, ohhhh, hmmmmm"

[disclaimer : nope, I don't work for NASA, I take full blame for my ideas]