[comp.sys.amiga] QuarterBack bites the dust.

noel@uokmax.UUCP (Bamf) (04/17/89)

Is it just me...

I have not had cause to backup my harddisk for quite sometime now,
apparently not since I got WB1.3.  I tried to do a backup with
QuarterBack the other day, and it guru'd all over the place...
(Hmm, this is new)  Same old Quarterback, so it must be somewhere else.
(FWIW, the guru is 000000003.021Dsomething-or-other)

I believe that when I got WB1.3, I also started using Supra's mount
software V5.1 (as opposed to the older 4.3) with the -s option (Means
somehing like direct scsi)  This too may be the culprit  (and is
strongly suspicous).

Anyone have any ideas?  Is it just that quarterback wont work with
1.3, or is it the supra-mount software?  (bad version?)

(Anyone willing to send me the updated version, or post it to an
anon-ftp site?  I think the newest is 5.3.)

Thanks in advance,

           Bamf

--
 NEVER date a music major.  At least not one that's named her clarinet "Thor"
----You want it should sing too?------|    noel@uokmax | ngorelic@uokmax

andrews@cos.com (Andrew R. Scholnick) (04/18/89)

In article <2954@uokmax.UUCP>, noel@uokmax.UUCP (Bamf) writes:
> I tried to do a backup with
> QuarterBack the other day, and it guru'd all over the place...
> (Hmm, this is new)  Same old Quarterback, so it must be somewhere else.
From my vantage point, this seems to be the case.  I am using QB frequently
for my C-Ltd HD and having no problems with it (bad blocks on my HD are
another story ;-).

> I believe that when I got WB1.3, I also started using Supra's mount
> software V5.1 (as opposed to the older 4.3) with the -s option (Means
> somehing like direct scsi)  This too may be the culprit  (and is
> strongly suspicous).
I would put my efforts in checking this out.  As I said, my C-LTD stuff
works fine.  I have 2 drives on 1 SCSI ctrlr. and am not seeing any
GURUs from QB.

ARS.
--
- Andrew R. Scholnick @ Corp. for Open Systems, McLean, VA -- andrews@cos.com
- {uunet, sundc, decuac}!cos!andrews -- Everything I write blame on me, NOT

disd@hubcap.clemson.edu (Gary Heffelfinger) (04/18/89)

From article <17120@cos.com>, by andrews@cos.com (Andrew R. Scholnick):
> In article <2954@uokmax.UUCP>, noel@uokmax.UUCP (Bamf) writes:
>> I tried to do a backup with
>> QuarterBack the other day, and it guru'd all over the place...
>> (Hmm, this is new)  Same old Quarterback, so it must be somewhere else.

Have you got the latest Quarterback?  (2.something, I think.)

On a slightly different subject, has anyone seen QB guru on exit?  The
other day, I was restoring after reformating my HD, and since I didn't
really want the report, I selected NONE from the menu screen.  The
restore completed, I hit the close gadget and up pops the srt equivalent
of the the task held requester.  Hmmm.  Reboot.  Since I had forgotten
to restore my other partition, I fired up QB and used the same procedure
and got the same result.  Just have to remember to leave the report
turned on next time.

Gary

--
Gary R Heffelfinger   -  disd@hubcap.clemson.edu
"If it should become necessary to fight, could you arrange to find me

Re: gurus with Quarterback, Supra , and FFS ...

The bug lies with Supra. You need their 5.3 "update" with its harddisk.device.
The docs describe an "odd byte problem" as the cause of the problem.

Also, using "SupraMount -s" is NOT advisable.  As I've advised others who've
had other problems, removing the "-s" (for "blind" SCSI reads (whatever the
heck that is)) cured the misc. random "Disk R/W Error" requester.

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]