[comp.sys.amiga] Total Novice...

In article <782@sunkisd.CS.Concordia.CA> (Kiron Bondale) writes:
>1) Top clock speed on an Amiga????
	14.x MHz for the 68020 A2500.
>2) Can it do 24 bit or above graphics?
	Essentially, no.
>3) Are there math coprocessor cards/chips available and if so which ones?
	Yes, the A2620 and most other '020 add on cards offer the 68881/2
	as part of the system. Some boards such as the MicroBotics
	Multifunction card offer i/o interfaced 68881s.
>4) I know of the Bridgeboard cards for IBM machines but is there an identical
>   HARDWARE solution for Mac emulation (the reason I ask is I have a Mac
>   right now...)
	Ask ReadySoft, they are claiming a Mac emulator, you supply the
	ROMs and they do the rest. Media compatibility is a problem. Are
	you considering selling your Mac to buy the Amiga? If not then
	this isn't an issue right ? :-)
>5) Do I need to read another 3 inches of manuals to be able to program
>   the Amiga toolbox (in C).
	The manuals are 4 - 6" but the stuff you need to know is in about
	an inch and a half of that. My personal opinion is that it is
	easier to program using the Amiga functions.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

bncox@sactoh0.UUCP (Brian N. Cox) (04/22/89)

In article <782@sunkisd.CS.Concordia.CA>, kiron@db1.CS.Concordia.CA (Kiron Bondale) writes:
> Could someone please point me to where I might find this info...
>
> 1) Top clock speed on an Amiga????
> 2) Can it do 24 bit or above graphics?
> 3) Are there math coprocessor cards/chips available and if so which ones?
> 4) I know of the Bridgeboard cards for IBM machines but is there an identical
>    HARDWARE solution for Mac emulation (the reason I ask is I have a Mac
>    right now...)
> 5) Do I need to read another 3 inches of manuals to be able to program
>    the Amiga toolbox (in C).

1) A2000 series- 7.64 MhZ
   A2500 series- 14.28 MhZ

2) Can't help there...

3) Yes.  68881 math coproccessor, graphic coprocs, ect... ALOT.

4) Yes.  A MAC emulator just came out.  Don't know who it's made by
(SOMEONE PLEASE HELP THERE).  But I do know that it runs almost all
MAC software and runs it FASTER THAN A MAC.

5) This is the only depressing answer I have for you.  C is a
difficult language if you've never used it before, but the AMIGA
has 2 very high quality C compilers.  Lattice C, and Manx Aztec C.
Good luck, and I hope that you get an AMIGA...

--
*   SAC UNIX= Sacrmaneto, CA       ///   **************************
*       User= Brian Cox           ///    *  When all else fails,  *

elbaum@reed.UUCP (Daniel Elbaum) (04/24/89)

In article <782@sunkisd.CS.Concordia.CA>, kiron@db1.CS.Concordia.CA (Kiron Bondale) writes:
> Could someone please point me to where I might find this info...

[some questions from a Mac owner looking into an Amiga]

> 5) Do I need to read another 3 inches of manuals to be able to program
>    the Amiga toolbox (in C).

If you know C already and are comfortable with linked lists and
some slightly tricky structure declarations (in effect, using
structures as objects with inherited data types), you'll find
the Amiga programmers' interface much easier to deal with than
the Mac's.  For one thing, if for example you're trying to bring
up a window, you just need, in addition to general background,
to read the section on windows.  If you want to open files and
do i/o, you just need to read the DOS manual.  There's no long
list of other areas you need to know to be able to work with
one subsystem.  I found the Amiga a real breath of fresh air
after wrestling with the Mac toolbox.

The main thing to keep in mind is that each 'toolbox', or library,
is pretty much standalone, and you have to open it, almost like
a file, to be able to use it.  These runtime libraries reside
on disk rather than in rom.  You usually need to open between
two and five of them in a typical application.

And here's the good news: with a couple of exceptions, you don't
have to set up parameter blocks to be able to call these routines.
Just give it a few arguments.  In this respect, they're a lot
more like UNIX system calls than Mac OS calls.

--
                      :                       Daniel Elbaum
 Responsible for all  :               tektronix!reed!elbaum