[comp.sys.amiga] Mac ROMs available for AMAX emulator COMMERCIAL

dlm@druwy.ATT.COM (Dan Moore) (04/20/89)

in article <10421@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu (Ben W. Discoe) says:
>    The AMAX looks like a very attractive option for me.  However, the prices
> aren't exactly all that low:
> 	AMAX, when available ........ ~$200
> 	128K ROMS, IF available .....  $150
> 	Mac drive, w/edu discount ...  $283
> 				---------------
> 				       $633

	I think your price for a Mac(tm) drive is high, remember you
don't have to buy the drive that Apple sells.  Third party drives are
much cheaper.  You also don't may not need to have a Mac drive.
Standard Amiga drives can read and write part (about 200K) of a Mac
disk.  That may be enough as long as you only transfer small amounts of
data to and from real Macs.

	I wouldn't worry about the availability of the 128K ROMs much.
Prices have floated up and down for the last year or so but they have
always been available.  When the Spectre 128 (the 128K ROM Mac emulator
for the ST) came out many of the dealers selling ROMs ran out.  It was
almost impossible to get the ROMs for about 2 or 3 weeks, the time it
took the dealers to get them back into stock.  If the AMAX is as
successful as the Mac emulators on the Atari the same thing may happen
again.  Or maybe the dealers have learned to keep a larger stock of ROMs
on hand.

> One option, which my EE friends say is possible, is to copy the ROMs out
> of an existing Mac onto fresh eproms.  However, this sounds like an illegal
> thing, and the ROMs might not be socketed, although they probably are, seeing
> as how the ROMs get upgraded every so often.
> Anyone know about the feasibility/legality of the above? It's important
> to bring the price of this thing DOWN.

	The Mac OS ROMs are socketed.  I would recommend that you don't
even think about copying them into EPROMs, Apple is very touchy about
people violating their copyrights on software.  Copying ROMs into EPROMs
is a very definate violation of their copyright and Apple does every
thing they can to protect their copyrights.  (They have to, if they
didn't take actions to protect them the copyright might be ruled to be
invalid.  That is one of the reasons they decided to sue Microsoft and
HP, they may not "own" the "idea" of the desktop but if they do and didn't
sue they would lose the ownership since they didn't protect it.)

				Dan Moore
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Denver
				dlm@druwy.ATT.COM

scobb@bti.UUCP (Steve Cobb) (04/21/89)

In article <16630@oberon.USC.EDU>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
> You've been warned :-)
> Since the release of the AMAX emulator, Mac ROMS are going fast.  One place
> that still has a few is Pre-Owned Electronics, Inc.  They have full page ads

  Wrong Marco! :-)   I called them this morning (4-20-89) and they said they
  just ran out about half an hour before I called (grrrr.)  They said they
  did not know when they would be getting more.  This was shortly before I
  read your posting.  In fact it's probably YOUR fault that they ran out
  before I could get mine.
  Read your mail carefully, an Email bomb is on it's way :-)

  Does anybody know off hand if 128k PROMS are pin compatible
  with the 128k ROMS.  (I'm just curious.  Honest.
  Cross my heart and hope to die. (before I'm 100) )

> -- Marco Papa 'Doc'
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
>  "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

	Steven Cobb
	Biomagnetic Technologies, inc.
MAIL:   4174 Sorrento Valley Blvd. San Diego, CA 92121  ----------------------
PHONE:  (619) 453-6300 x349                             | Disclaim all words |
UUCP:   {ucsd, hplabs!hp-sdd}!ncr-sd!bti!scobb          |  Ye who read here  |
                                                        ----------------------

In article <392@bti.UUCP> scobb@bti.UUCP (Steve Cobb) writes:
>In article <16630@oberon.USC.EDU>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>> You've been warned :-)
>> Since the release of the AMAX emulator, Mac ROMS are going fast.  One place
>> that still has a few is Pre-Owned Electronics, Inc.  They have full page ads
>
>  Wrong Marco! :-)   I called them this morning (4-20-89) and they said they
>  just ran out about half an hour before I called (grrrr.)  They said they
>  did not know when they would be getting more.  This was shortly before I
>  read your posting.  In fact it's probably YOUR fault that they ran out
>  before I could get mine.

Given the large readership of comp.sys.amiga, I was expecting something
like that, but having them run out just one day after my posting is pretty
amazing.  BTW, I did order 1 128K ROM BEFORE I posted :-)  As far as I know,
Pre-Owned Electronics is the largest distributor of MAC parts.  They also
sell entire Apple motherboards.  Also note that the price of non-Apple
made disk drives is much less than what previously advertised: you can
find them for $199 or less (see any of the MAC magazines).

>  Read your mail carefully, an Email bomb is on it's way :-)

OK. I'll start looking more carefully.

cdouty@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Christopher Douty) (04/22/89)

In article <10421@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Ben W. Discoe) writes:
>   The AMAX looks like a very attractive option for me.  However, the prices
>aren't exactly all that low:
>	AMAX, when available ........ ~$200
>	128K ROMS, IF available .....  $150
>	Mac drive, w/edu discount ...  $283
>				---------------
>				       $633

>   One option, which my EE friends say is possible, is to copy the ROMs out
>of an existing Mac onto fresh eproms.
>   Anyone know about the feasibility/legality of the above?  It's important
>to bring the price of this thing DOWN.

>- Ben "to new to have a .sig" Discoe

True, the actual package cost is a lot higher than $200, but I think that it
is still a damn good deal.  Think about it, for an extra $600 or so you get
the equivelent of a Mac Plus with a reasonable screen size. #8^) Looking at
my handy college computer price list, I find that a baseline Mac Plus is
$1222.  That is with one 3-1/2" floppy and a standard keyboard, and of
course NO COLOR.  For slightly more you can have an Amiga 500 and 1084SD
monitor, 1 Meg, and the AMAX package.  If you are really creative you could
probably work a 2nd floppy drive in there.  I think that is a pretty good
deal.  The situation only gets better as you go up both the Amiga and Mac
lines.  An Amiga 2500 with the AMAX package will cost around $5000, while a
similarly equipped Mac IIx will cost about $5400 with less RAM and of course
no multi-tasking.  Enough haranguing on that subject.

I don't know about copying the ROMs.  I know that it is technically
possible.  I once had a device specifically for the purpose of copying Atari
2600 cartriges, so the copying of Mac ROMs should be the same.  I do know
that it is blatently illegal though, or at least Apple's lawyers will claim
so while they haul you into court.  It probably IS a violation of the
licences and copyrights on the ROM software, but the deciding factor is that
Apple can spend much more on prosecution than any individual and few
companies can spend on defense.  Just something to mull over.

--
				Christopher Douty
			 cdouty@jarthur.claremont.edu

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (04/24/89)

cdouty@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Christopher Douty) writes:
> The situation only gets better as you go up both the Amiga and Mac
> lines.  An Amiga 2500 with the AMAX package will cost around $5000, while a
> similarly equipped Mac IIx will cost about $5400 with less RAM and of course
> no multi-tasking.  Enough haranguing on that subject.

I should point out the following inequality:

	A2500 + AMAX != Mac IIx

For one thing, you don't have access to the 512K ROM in the IIx, the
Color Quickdraw, use of a hard drive, or ability to use NuBus cards
when emulating a Macintosh.

If you really, really want a Macintosh, you're better off buying one.
The AMAX is a really neat product for Amigaphiles who have the
occasional want to run Mac software, but I wouldn't recommend it in
place of one.

Personally, I'd rather see more/better applications software in the
Amiga's native mode than rely on an emulation of another operating
environment.

--
Michael Portuesi * Information Technology Center * Carnegie Mellon University
INET: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu * BITNET: mp1u+@andrew

"Why do I live the way I do
 ain't it obvious I'm just a man like you"	--Boy George