[comp.sys.amiga] Shareware

STETNERD@UREGINA1.BITNET ("Douglas G. Stetner") (02/02/88)

One point that some people are forgeting, what about the $ I spend in
long distance costs downloading some file that I think is PD???

Doug

CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) (05/20/88)

Hi all....

I was talking yesterday to the author of Handshake
(the terminal program that does the near perfect emulation of
vt102 class devices....)
and i received one hell of a shock.....
he has been distributing the program through shareware for at least a
year.

He has received about 40 registrations.

Now COME ON NOW PEOPLE... that thing went out on Comp. binaries.amiga to
the entire net.... and even assuming that just 10% of the people that
get comp.binaries.amiga decided to use it , that
must be around 500-600 people right????
(if my estimates seem F***ed.. please correct me)

and maybe half of them decided to use it regularly.....
thats around 250 to 300 people.

so why is Eric Habenfuiler sitting there with only 40 registrations????

Come on now (gee i've said that twice now..)

SUPPORT YOUR SHAREWARE AUTHORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric only wants $25 bucks.... and for a program as good as Handshake,
thats chicken feed.....

(Oh yes... lest people flame me.... I forked over $35..... simply because
i have not been able to find a better terminal package in ANY way shape or
form.)( well, ok... it doesn't have macros)

I have my force fields raised.... phaser me if you wish... but
it just sort of grinds on my nerves...
we have some fantastic software on the shareware scene for the amiga,
but no one seems to support the authors of it....

(OH yes... I DO know that no one in their right mind can expect to
LIVE off the procedes from shareware, but it is nice occasionally
to get a check in the mail once in a while)

JpC

Jonathan P. Crone
Vice President, AURA,  (Amiga Users of Regina Associated.)
(Regina, Sask. Canada )    (eh???)

CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET
..........uunet!mcl!cronejp

come on now....  does ANYONE give a damn about what i have to say?

jma@bud.cis.ufl.edu (John Adams) (05/21/88)

Plus...isn't it true that if Erik gets enough registrations that he
will incorporate VT240 graphics into the program?

That's worth the small cost (verses Diga!) to me...

>He has received about 40 registrations.
>must be around 500-600 people right????
>thats around 250 to 300 people.
>so why is Eric Habenfuiler sitting there with only 40 registrations????

	I doubt half the 'interested' net uses the program.... 5-10%
would be a better bet.  And getting 40 registrations is pretty good for
a shareware program.... puts it in the top 10% easy.

>(Oh yes... lest people flame me.... I forked over $35..... simply because
>i have not been able to find a better terminal package in ANY way shape or
>form.)( well, ok... it doesn't have macros)

	Good for you.  Just recently someone gave me $10 for Dmouse, and
DMouse isn't even shareware!  It's freeware!

	I always stick my address in the docs just in case ....

					-Matt

In article <8805201655.AA26232@jade.berkeley.edu> (Jonathan Crone) writes:
> Hi all....
> I was talking yesterday to the author of Handshake, and i received one
> hell of a shock..... he has been distributing the program through
> shareware for at least a year.
>
> He has received about 40 registrations.

He has actually done pretty well for himself. When I was investigating
the shareware concept I talked to a *lot* of shareware authors and the
average number of registrations seems to be about 12.

Shareware is not an option for those people who wish to make enough money
to eat or pay the rent. It may get get you dinner now and then but don't
count on it. I have speculated at length with some of those authors
about why this is, and while no one knows for sure, I personally think
that people aren't conditioned to pay for something they already have.
From the first time we get a nickel to put into the bubble-gum machine
until we work 80 hour weeks to keep the bank from repossesing the house
we are constantly giving people money in exchange for some immediate
benefit. Most shareware programs don't use this model, you already have
the program why give up the money? I don't think many people conciously
think that way but it is ingrained in their subconcious "If I give some
money to this person, they will give me something I want." When they
aren't going to give you anything (except maybe a registration number)
then you don't trigger the spend reflex.

> so why is Eric Habenfuiler sitting there with only 40 registrations????

I don't use Handshake so I don't know what the $25 gets you, I suspect it
doesn't get you anything (except peace of mind which most people learn to
manufacture through subtle selfhypnosis by the age of 6).

> We have some fantastic software on the shareware scene for the amiga,
> but no one seems to support the authors of it....

Allan Hastings, Wolfgang Von Reichart, Dan Silva, Bill Hawes, Charlie
Heath, there are more. I think everyone on the net knows my feelings on
shareware, the authors listed all have commercial packages out and are
making money from their creations. If you went to the average publisher
and gave them your typical 'shareware' (not all of them of course)
package, they could turn it into a product and sell it. They would
have to do a lot of work and would probably agree to something like
giving you 3% royalties or maybe $3-$5 a disk.

> (OH yes... I DO know that no one in their right mind can expect to
> LIVE off the procedes from shareware, but it is nice occasionally
> to get a check in the mail once in a while)

If it were a perfect world such would be possible. As a shareware
author one has to treat each registration as a sign that another
fifty to a hundred people are using your program and accept it.
If you spend your time worrying about the 49 to 99 people who aren't
paying you for it then you just aggravate your own stress level.

Don't expect any money from shareware, then when you get some you can
be pleasantly suprised.

NOTE: This being a philosophical discussion I have completely glossed
over the techniques one can use to enhance shareware revenue, these
include the PC-Pyramid scheme, missing docs scheme, bug fix scheme,
etc. We will leave those for a different time.

--Chuck McManis

CRONEJP%UREGINA1.BITNET@cornellc.ccs.cornell.edu (Jonathan Crone) (05/21/88)

>Plus...isn't it true that if Erik gets enough registrations that he
>will incorporate VT240 graphics into the program?
>
>That's worth the small cost (verses Diga!) to me...

Well, Eric didn't say anything to me about the possibility
of the graphics included.

But it would certainly be a wonderful thing to see.

Jonathan Crone

Jonathan P. Crone
Vice President, AURA,  (Amiga Users of Regina Associated.)
(Regina, Sask. Canada )    (eh???)

CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET
....rutgers!mimsy!uunet!mcl!cronejp

come on now....  does ANYONE give a damn about what i have to say?

mriley@well.UUCP (Mark Riley) (05/22/88)

I tried the ShareWare scheme for PLAY on a whim.  I thought it involved
more effort than a freebie but wasn't robust enough to be a seperate
product PLUS I wanted to get it into a lot of people's hands to
promote Sonix and it's revisions in an indirect way.  I've had almost
a hundred responses between it and PAK which at $10 each...  Anyhoo,
you can see that I haven't quite made a grand with it, but I never
expected to make much anyways.  How it (ShareWare) has paid off is
by giving additional publicity to Sonix and the licensable Sonix
driver routines.  I also enjoy all the comments and suggestions from
these honest people who support ShareWare, and I'm listening if any
of you'se out there have contributed.  All in all, I'm happy I
went the ShareWare route.

-Mark-

P.S.  Please excuse any breach of etiquette in this posting as this is
      only my econd posting to Usenet (the other one was in "sci.astro")

In article <54010@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>Allan Hastings, Wolfgang Von Reichart, Dan Silva, Bill Hawes, Charlie
>		 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Heath, there are more.  [ ... ]

	No no no, it's Reichart Von Wolfsheild (producer of FirePower).

	And I know, because I work for him.

[ Actually, it's *Baron* Reichart Von Wolfsheild, so there! :-) ]
Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape  ihnp4!pacbell -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac

In article <8805201655.AA26232@jade.berkeley.edu> CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) writes:
>I was talking yesterday to the author of Handshake
>(the terminal program that does the near perfect emulation of
>vt102 class devices....)

	It is REALLY close to a perfect emulation.  I mean so close it's
frightening.

>He has received about 40 registrations.

	I paid my fee at Devcon (I'd been meaning to for months).  The fee
does get you things:  I gave him a list of improvements/bugs that he said
he'd be working on.  Also, I should be getting a more recent version, when it's
ready.

>SUPPORT YOUR SHAREWARE AUTHORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>Eric only wants $25 bucks.... and for a program as good as Handshake,
>thats chicken feed.....

	Seconded.  It's real easy to just not get around to it, but please do,
you'll like the results.  (both from him and for your conscience)

Randell Jesup			{uunet|ihnp4|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

suh@cunixc.columbia.edu (Kenneth Suh) (05/27/88)

I hope this doesn't start that stupid shareware garbage thread...  I
might just send out the old messages to send everyone time :-)

In article <8805201655.AA26232@jade.berkeley.edu> CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) writes:

>I was talking yesterday to the author of Handshake
>(the terminal program that does the near perfect emulation of
>vt102 class devices....)
>and i received one hell of a shock.....
>he has been distributing the program through shareware for at least a
>year.
>
>He has received about 40 registrations.
>
>Now COME ON NOW PEOPLE... that thing went out on Comp. binaries.amiga to
>the entire net.... and even assuming that just 10% of the people that
>get comp.binaries.amiga decided to use it , that
>must be around 500-600 people right????

I tried it out and decided to stick with VT100.  Shareware isn't like
commercial software.  I don't have to send money to try it out.

>(if my estimates seem F***ed.. please correct me)
>
>and maybe half of them decided to use it regularly.....
>thats around 250 to 300 people.

I might be wrong, but I hardly ever hear of anyone using Handshake
(except for you)

>Eric only wants $25 bucks.... and for a program as good as Handshake,
>thats chicken feed.....

The first time, I read the above I read it as:

	Handshake, thats chicken feed...

I laughed at that one.

>(Oh yes... lest people flame me.... I forked over $35..... simply because
>i have not been able to find a better terminal package in ANY way shape or
>form.)( well, ok... it doesn't have macros)

If you need near perfect vt100 emulation(like double sized characters),
I prefer to have other features(like macros).

>Jonathan P. Crone

/ken

--
Kenneth Suh                            PATH: suh@CUNIXC.COLUMBIA.EDU
41-57 Bowne Street                           SY.SUH@CU20B.BITNET

maloff@calgary.UUCP (Sheldon Maloff) (06/10/88)

In article <1849@hubcap.UUCP>, disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) writes:
> From article <608@myrias.UUCP>, by cg@myrias.UUCP (Chris Gray):
> > Oh yes, there is a new version of the Draco compiler coming. I'm busily
> > improving the code quality. It now has a peephole optimizer, register
> > variables, "remembering", etc. With the equivalent program (in terms of
> > size of integers, registerization, etc.) the Draco version of the standard
> > Sieve of Eratosthenes benchmark is slightly faster than the Lattice 4.0
> > version (about 1 second out of 33 for a 100 iteration run). I won't know
> > about total object size until I recompile the libraries so that not so much
> > is included, which I won't do until the compiler itself is stabler.
> >
> I have not sent in a contribution for Draco, so feel free to ignore this
> reply, but I'd like to supply some measure of encouragement to continue

I haven't either, but I've got reasons...

> I'd almost like to suggest that you make a commercial product out of
> Draco II, but I suspect that you wouldn't have the time to do so.  A

As a broke student who just graduated I be glad if it stayed PD for a while,
but, PD or commercial, we learned a little bit in our computer courses,
very few people enjoy typing words backwards.  Thats my beef, I
don't like typing corp, or tnemmoc, or fi, or fidne, or ...
I'd much rather type endproc, or endcomment, or endif.  If you could
change the language specs to include *READABLE* terminations, just then
I might think Draco to be serious.  Unfortunately as it stands, I won't
use any language that forces me to learn how to spell backwards.

Perhaps if I learned the alphabet backwards, that would help :-)

> > --
> > Chris Gray		Myrias Research, Edmonton	+1 403 428 1616
> > 	{uunet!mnetor,ubc-vision,watmath,vax135}!alberta!myrias!cg
>

> --
> Gary Heffelfinger   ---   Employed by, but not the mouthpiece of
>                           Clemson University.
> ---===      Amiga.  The computer for the best of us.     ===---

|| Sheldon                               ----========== \\        -----======||
|| maloff@calgary.UUCP                      -----====== //  Calgary, Alberta ||
|| {ihnp4!alberta}!calgary!maloff               -----== \\  Past Host of the ||
|| .. eventually, we'll all be scaled by zero and  ---= //  '88 Winter Games ||
|| converge upon the origin ... then we'll party!    -= \\              ---==||

jeff@hpctdkz.HP.COM (Jeff Hughes) (04/25/89)

Hello,
    I am trying to find out how to obtain a "shareware" catalog. I know
there is a company in Sunnyvale, California called PC-SIG Inc. that
distributes shareware and also puts out a monthly magazine. Does anyone
know who I should write to in order to subscribe? How about any other
shareware catalogs?