[comp.sys.amiga] Toy resigns

chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) (04/25/89)

From the Wall Street Journal, Tuesday, 25 April 1989.

Commodore's M. Toy Quits As Head of U.S. Operations

West Chester, Pa. -- May Toy resigned as the head of U.S. Operations at
Commorodore International Ltd. after a year and a half at the job,
apparently because of continuing furstrations at the company over
lackluster U.S. results.

Chairman Irving Gould declined to elaborate on a news release's single
sentence about Mr. Toy, which said he "resigned to pursue other interests."
But Mr. Gould said that "we still have a tremendous way to go in the U.S."
Mr. Gould, Commodore's major shareholder, called its U.S. strategy sound,
but said he thought the execution had been weak.  The company as a whole
has been progressing, he said.

Mr. Gould has described himself as an impatient man, and the personal-
computer maker has been a revolving door for senior executives in the past
few years as U.S. operations have been slow to turn around.

Mr. Toy was succeeded by Harold D. Copperman, formerly a marketing
executive with Apple Computer Inc.

Mr. Toy declined to comment on why he left, except to say that "it was my
choice, my decision, and I'm very, very happy with my decision."  He also
said that "I'm real happy with what we accomplished."  Mr. Toy, who has held
senior positions at Compaq Computer Corp. and ITT Corp., added that he has
several alternatives for other jobs, but that he hasn't yet chosen one.

In New York Stock Exchange composite trading yesterday, Commodore closed
at $18.50, down 37.5 cents.

--
"Our vision is to speed up time, eventually eliminating it." -- Alex Schure

Charles Cleveland   Georgia Tech School of Physics   Atlanta, GA 30332-0430
UUCP: ...!gatech!gtss!chas                  INTERNET:  chas@gtss.gatech.edu

hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) (04/26/89)

In article <405@gtss.gatech.edu> chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) writes:

> From the Wall Street Journal, Tuesday, 25 April 1989.
>
> Commodore's M. Toy Quits As Head of U.S. Operations
>
> Mr. Toy was succeeded by Harold D. Copperman, formerly a marketing
> executive with Apple Computer Inc.

Can we now expect, gifts etct to universities, colleges and other
institutions of learning ??  especially to Comp Sci Departments, Fine
Arts, Broadcasting etc..

Where do we apply ??   :-)

mark
--

     H.M. Hubey                     VOICE: 201-893-5269
 hubey@OSultrix.montclair.edu       hubey@pilot.njin.net

dnye@bbn.com (David Nye) (04/26/89)

In article <Apr.25.17.32.45.1989.27948@pilot.njin.net> hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) writes:
>In article <405@gtss.gatech.edu> chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) writes:
>
>> From the Wall Street Journal, Tuesday, 25 April 1989.
>>
>> Commodore's M. Toy Quits As Head of U.S. Operations
>>
>> Mr. Toy was succeeded by Harold D. Copperman, formerly a marketing
>> executive with Apple Computer Inc.

I'm Sorry to see him go, but wish him well in any endevor he goes for!!!

I hope Mr. Copperman can fill some of Mr. Toy's shoes...

Dave Nye
=     //     Dave Nye -- President, Southern New Hampshire AMIGA Users Group  =
=    //      dnye@bbn.com    dnye%bbn.com@relay.cs.net  ...!harvard!bbn!dnye  =
= \\//       BBN, Inc., Cambridge, Mass., My Employers computer, MY opinion.. =

In article <39118@bbn.COM> dnye@bbn.com (David Nye) writes:

> In article <Apr.25.17.32.45.1989.27948@pilot.njin.net> hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) writes:
> >In article <405@gtss.gatech.edu> chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) writes:
> >
> >> From the Wall Street Journal, Tuesday, 25 April 1989.
> >>
> >> Commodore's M. Toy Quits As Head of U.S. Operations
> >>
> >> Mr. Toy was succeeded by Harold D. Copperman, formerly a marketing
> >> executive with Apple Computer Inc.
>
> I'm Sorry to see him go, but wish him well in any endevor he goes for!!!
>
> I hope Mr. Copperman can fill some of Mr. Toy's shoes...
>
> Dave Nye

If my posting seemed to imply that Max Toy was not doing a good job, I
am sorry about that.  Nothing like that was intended.  I think of
Apple as having the best marketing department in Hi-tech....including
IBM.  I was evoking positive feelings for the future and not negative
felings for the past.  I am not in a position to pass judgement on
competence of either fellow.  I only wish C-A the best...that's all...

mark
--

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (04/26/89)

In article <405@gtss.gatech.edu> chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) writes:

> From the Wall Street Journal, Tuesday, 25 April 1989.
>
> Commodore's M. Toy Quits As Head of U.S. Operations
>
> West Chester, Pa. -- May Toy resigned as the head of U.S. Operations at
> Commodore International Ltd. after a year and a half at the job,
> apparently because of continuing frustrations at the company over
> lackluster U.S. results.

Would someone please pinch me?  At JAUG he seemed to really like his
job and was about to see a number of Good Things happening.  Now
someone pinch me and tell me that it's not true.  Ok?

-Tom "Who doesn't get WSJ" Limoncelli
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
            Drew University -- Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

In article <Apr.25.17.32.45.1989.27948@pilot.njin.net| hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) writes:
|In article <405@gtss.gatech.edu| chas@gtss.gatech.edu (Charles Cleveland) writes:
|| From the Wall Street Journal, Tuesday, 25 April 1989.
|| Commodore's M. Toy Quits As Head of U.S. Operations
|| Mr. Toy was succeeded by Harold D. Copperman, formerly a marketing
|| executive with Apple Computer Inc.
|Can we now expect, gifts etct to universities, colleges and other
|institutions of learning ??  especially to Comp Sci Departments, Fine
|Arts, Broadcasting etc..

The WSJ article DID say that one of the new markets CBM is going to
focus is "education".

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]