[comp.sys.amiga] C Ltd Amiga 1000 Keyboard

Hoo hah!

Anyone who purchases the C.Ltd replacement keyboard has got to have shit
for brains (my opinion).

For example: push the DELETE key on the C.Ltd keyboard and the keyboard will
send instead the sequence: "FORMAT DF0: <return>"

Why those bozos reprogrammed the keyboard ROM is beyond me.  It otherwise
is a nice keyboard, and I almost bought one myself until I read the C.Ltd
instructions and saw the obvious brain-damage.

Other "normal" keyboard keys are also perverted by C.Ltd.   Sigh.   :-(

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

martens@ketch.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (04/23/89)

In article <17529@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>Hoo hah!

>Anyone who purchases the C.Ltd replacement keyboard has got to have shit
>for brains (my opinion).

>For example: push the DELETE key on the C.Ltd keyboard and the keyboard will
>send instead the sequence: "FORMAT DF0: <return>"

You're kidding, right?  Aren't you?  Nobody's stupid enough to design
this into a ROM, right?  You meant to submit this to alt.joke, right?

Maybe the 'shit for brains' label would be more aptly applied to
C-Ltd. than to their poor customers.
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

...and on Wall St., the Tao is unchanged in moderate trading...

Re: Jeff Martens comments re: my comments about the C.Ltd keyboard.

I sincerely wish it was a joke.  But it's not.  :-(

The actual keyboard is VERY nice.  Keys feel "right" (subjective opinion).
It looks nice, and it the "right" size.  Works on either an A1000 or A/B2000.

I type VERY fast (faster than even our secretaries at the office); been typing
since 2nd grade (close to 50 years ago) and I have very definite and strong
opinions about keyboards.  And the parallelogram bug of the A1000's stock
keyboard bites me every day, so my interest in a replacement keyboard for all
my A1000 systems is a genuine interest.

I was actually using the keyboard in the store and wondered HOW the "FORMAT .."
command got into the line I was typing.  THEN read the C.Ltd instructions and
said "WTF!"

I was still tempted to buy the keyboard and re-re-program the ROM(s) myself
(since I have the equipment attached to one Amiga for just this type of work),
when memories of my previous experiences with C.Ltd over the years surfaced
and soured the deal.

I'm reminded of: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Why they chose to alter
the meaning of crucial keys is beyond comprehension.

And in case people have forgotten the nature of the A1000 keyboard bug to which
I alluded, type (for example) the word "from" VERY quickly; you'll get "frlom".
Note the location of the keys F, R, O and you'll see why the bug is called the
"parallelogram bug."

But, you're correct; I shouldn't have insulted purchasers of the keyboard;
they are but innocent victims.  BUT: anyone who'd buy a replacement keyboard
without trying it out AND reading accompanying instructions deserves what
they get.  :-)

I have subsequently picked up some surplussed Tek 4105 keyboards (the ones
with the JoyDisk in lieu of a joystick or cursor keys) and have "almost" got
them working with one of the lab Amigas.

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

In article <17529@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>For example: push the DELETE key on the C.Ltd keyboard and the keyboard will
>send instead the sequence: "FORMAT DF0: <return>"

That doesn't sound right to me. Why would anyone do that? I can see having
programmable keys, maybe someone programed the delete key on the one you looked
at as a joke?

But don't worry, it won't work anyway. With AmigaDos syntax you have to say

format drive df0: name "blah" in order to format a disk :-)

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
[not for RHF] |          sparks@corpane.UUCP         | 502/968-5401 thru -5406