[comp.sys.amiga] Color survey

dan@ivucsb.UUCP (Dan Howell) (04/15/89)

I'd like to know what colors people use in their standard workbench screen.
Especially if you use interlace on a not-so-flicker-free monitor.

But even on a non-interlaced screen, I'm having a hard time finding colors
I like to use for text.

--
-- Dan Howell  <ivucsb!dan@anise.acc.com>  <...!(pyramid|ucbvax)!ucsbcsl!
-- koyaanisqatsi <fr. Hopi> -                                nessus!ivucsb!dan>

Re: workbench color prefs ...

Mine are the following:

color 0  RGB = 0xfec   almost white background
color 1  RGB = 0x000   solid black chars (like on a Mac)
color 2  RGB = 0xfb8   tan gadget stuff
color 3  RGB = 0xf00   red cursor

Screen and windows are non-interlace, 664x210 (morerow'd) for 80x24 chars in
a CLI window.  With a high freq medium persistence monitor, the combination
of the preceding is fatigue-free for even 14 hours/day (for 3-1/2 years now)
and operates fine with all types of room lighting (as with my work, lab, and
home Amigas).  Adjusting the contrast, brightness and focus controls makes for
crystal-clear viewing.

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (04/17/89)

In article <730@ivucsb.UUCP> ivucsb!dan@anise.acc.com (Dan Howell) writes:
>I'd like to know what colors people use in their standard workbench screen.
>Especially if you use interlace on a not-so-flicker-free monitor.

I use a pretty straightforward set of colors.

0: 0xfff          solid white background
1: 0x000          solid black text  (ala Macintosh)
2: 0x06f          blue hilites
3: 0xf00          solid red accents

I use a standard 1080 monitor, with a "jitter-rid" (piece of smoked
plexiglass) as a filter.

Note that this combination would flicker intolerably with the stock
Topaz 8 font, even with the jitter-rid.  The use of Topaz 11 drastically
reduces interlace flicker in text, and I use it almost exclusively.
Unfortunately, a lot of software is incompatible with a non-8-point
font.

It also helps to avoid fluorescent lighting, by the way.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) (04/17/89)

I use black letters on gray background with colors 3 & 4 being blue and yellow
Or is that yellow and blue. When I go to interlace screens the flickering is n
bothersome.
                                   - MJB -

ugkamins@sunybcs.uucp (John Kaminski) (04/18/89)

In article <730@ivucsb.UUCP> ivucsb!dan@anise.acc.com (Dan Howell) writes:
>I'd like to know what colors people use in their standard workbench screen.
>But even on a non-interlaced screen, I'm having a hard time finding colors
>I like to use for text.
>
>-- Dan Howell  <ivucsb!dan@anise.acc.com>  <...!(pyramid|ucbvax)!ucsbcsl!

Using the ever-popular Kermit, then the equally popular uuencode, this is
what I have and use all of the time.  Note that the pointer point was moved
to be exactly at the tip instead of buried somewhere within.  With precise
pointing tasks, I find this best.

begin 600 devs:system-configuration
M"````@```````8:@```````,-0````````8:@`````"``'P`?`#^`'P`A@!X
M`(P`?`"&`&X`DP`'`&F``X`$P`'``F``@`%`````@```````````````````
M`````````````/\`#2(```_*``$`7@__``(/@//\`($`+``!``!G96YE<FEC
M`````````````````````````````````````````0!/```````!``(`(`!"
M`````0``9V5N97)I8P``````````````````````````````````````````
'`````````&5N
`
end

dennison@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Theodore Dennison) (04/19/89)

In article <730@ivucsb.UUCP> ivucsb!dan@anise.acc.com (Dan Howell) writes:
>I'd like to know what colors people use in their standard workbench screen.
>Especially if you use interlace on a not-so-flicker-free monitor.
>
>But even on a non-interlaced screen, I'm having a hard time finding colors
>I like to use for text.

I use a DARK grey background, light-ish grey for the border stuff, light blue
for the next color, and a soft red for the last color. Looks okay, and almost
no annoying flicker. To stop flicker, just make sure there are little or no
BRIGHT colors.

T.E.D.

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (04/24/89)

In article <770@rex.cs.tulane.edu> dennison@rex.UUCP (Theodore Dennison) writes:
|In article <730@ivucsb.UUCP> ivucsb!dan@anise.acc.com (Dan Howell) writes:
|>I'd like to know what colors people use in their standard workbench screen.
|>Especially if you use interlace on a not-so-flicker-free monitor.
|>
|>But even on a non-interlaced screen, I'm having a hard time finding colors
|>I like to use for text.
|
|I use a DARK grey background, light-ish grey for the border stuff, light blue
|for the next color, and a soft red for the last color. Looks okay, and almost
|no annoying flicker. To stop flicker, just make sure there are little or no
|BRIGHT colors.

	In general, the sensitivity to flicker is inversely
	proportional to luminance - so a neutral-density
	filter is just an expensive contrast control.
	Make sure that the brightness is adjusted such that
	black is truly non-luminous on the screen, making
	the over-all luminance as low as possible.
	Using colours which are closest to red in the spectrum
	are better since at low luminances the eye is
	more sensitive to flicker in blues & greens.
	I use amber shades with the 1080 contrast at
	the normal detent, which produces for my eyes
	an ignorable amount of flicker.

	Now if only C= had released the 1070 (which had a
	reasonable dot pitch), I would have less eyestrain
	from looking at fuzzy characters...

Cheers,
--
   __	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

In article <445@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:

>|>I'd like to know what colors people use in their standard workbench screen.
>|>Especially if you use interlace on a not-so-flicker-free monitor.

>|no annoying flicker. To stop flicker, just make sure there are little or no
>|BRIGHT colors.
>
>    In general, the sensitivity to flicker is inversely
>    proportional to luminance - so a neutral-density
>    filter is just an expensive contrast control.

Right. On my monitor I use a black background with black letters, A polaroid
filter and poloroid sunglasses for an absolutely flicker free environment.

Sometimes I just leave the monitor off for extra flicker protection.

seriously tho: I use a medium grey (gray?) background and black letters for
flicker reduction. I have a sony 1209CPD [i think thats the right model #]
with an extra fine dot pitch. Beats the crap out of the standard Amiga
monitors. I took it to a computer fair once and used my amiga for a slideshow
and got three offers from total strangers to buy my monitor. The flicker
seems to be even more noticable on it though, becasue of the extra sharpness.
--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
[not for RHF] |          sparks@corpane.UUCP         | 502/968-5401 thru -5406