[comp.sys.amiga] micro emacs

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (07/03/87)

In article <1104@knopfler.munsell.UUCP> klm@knopfler.UUCP (Kevin McBride) writes:
<I personally don't like the MicroTrashmacs on the 1.2 Extras disk, but I'm
<not going to complain about it too loudly because it was a "Freebie."  If I
<had paid my unfriendly neighborhood computer store $150 bucks for it, I'd
<be screaming my head off.

Since you apparently like Emacs, you might want to check out some of
the other microEmacs for the Amiga. I recommend mg1b, which can be
found on Fish disk #68. There are others, but it's the one that's
recieved the most work.

This is, of course, a totally biased opinion.

	<mike, from inside mg1b
--
Round about, round about, in a fair ring-a.		Mike Meyer
Thus we dance, thus we dance, and thus we sing-a.	mwm@berkeley.edu

jack@cca.CCA.COM (Jack Orenstein) (08/06/87)

I've been using MicroEmacs for a couple of days. I'm very pleased with it
but have encountered two problems:

1) Occasionally, a ^X^W (I think) causes emacs to freeze up. I've found
   no way to unlock it.
2) According to the documentation, emacs.rc has some commands that
   should be run on initialization. The initialization does not seem
   to be occurring, and I have to load the file by hand and then
   run execute-buffer.

Has anyone out there found a solution to these problems?

(Explain your answers, and remember, penmanship is important. You may
begin now.)

Thanks.

Jack Orenstein

koo%loki.edsg@hac2arpa.hac.com (frances koo) (01/25/89)

Does MicroEmacs allow you to perform case-insensitive searches?
If it does, which version?  I can't seem to find how to do this
in the documentation...

    Thanks for the help! :->

            ---- FK

eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (01/25/89)

In article <7220@louie.udel.EDU> koo%loki.edsg@hac2arpa.hac.com (frances koo) writes:
>Does MicroEmacs allow you to perform case-insensitive searches?
>If it does, which version?  I can't seem to find how to do this
>in the documentation...

MicroEMACS (MEmacs) V1.3 included in the V1.3 AMIGA Enhancer does just
this (^S and ^R).
--
Eric Cotton
Commodore-Amiga                                               (215) 431-9100

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (01/26/89)

In article <7220@louie.udel.EDU>, koo%loki.edsg@hac2arpa.hac.com (frances koo) writes:
> Does MicroEmacs allow you to perform case-insensitive searches?
> If it does, which version?  I can't seem to find how to do this
> in the documentation...

I do recall seeing this feature in MEMACS... I believe it is documented
in the "set" function section, where it describes setting interlace and
so on.  One of those options sets case-sensitivity or not.  I just completed
an MEMACS tutorial to add to a future edition of the Amiga Companion, so
I hadda be pretty familiar with the docs they provided in the enhancer
kit.  (Tutorial only missing info about how to properly use the Execute-file
function... CBM will probably provide that before we get to press on the
rev.)

Undocumented feature in MEMACS: if creating execute-files, can embed
"Forw-char" and "Back-char" commands, which are bound to the arrow-keys.
Up till I called CATS, I could not figure out how to put such commands
into a script file.   (Lots of head-scratching preceded the call).

Rob Peck

carlson@betelgeuse (Richard L. Carlson) (01/26/89)

On the subject of MicroEmacs...

In previous versions (e.g. from the 1.2 Extras), the newline-and-indent
(^J) function performed fine.  The new 1.3 version, however, seems to
have taken a giant leap backwards.  If you're in "C" mode (editing a
file ending with '.c', I presume), ^J no longer indents the next line
to the same level as your current line--it adds 4 extra spaces!  ^J
still seems to work properly, though, if you're *not* in "C" mode.

Maybe there's another keystroke that you can use to indent to the same
level while in "C" mode?  It's a real pain to have to indent each line
manually.  But I don't want to give up "C" mode entirely because it
does do nice things like match braces.  The 1.3 Enhancer documentation
is no help at all on these points; I couldn't find any mention at all
of ^J.  And the menu selections don't seem to offer any alternatives.

Also, there are two other features that I am dying to have:  the ability
to edit lines longer than 80 characters, and the ability to edit binary
files.  Maybe I should switch to MicroGnuEmacs (or whatever it's called
these days); can it do these things?

Please email any responses; I promise to summarize to the net.  Thanks.

-- Richard
   {tektronix,dual,sun,decvax,...}!ucbvax!ernie!carlson
   carlson@ernie.Berkeley.EDU

rogoff@pawl.rpi.edu (Dave Rogoff) (04/27/89)

  I have a question about a bug (I think) in the micro emacs that
comes on the extra disk.  It seems that no matter where you doulbe
click (set mark) and mark is set to the upper lefthand position on the
screen.

  What's the deal?  Also, I've set of my emacs_pro file to set the
f1-f9 keys, but I don't know what the key names are for the keypad
keys.

  Thanks much

     David
    David Rogoff, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy NY, 518-279-4044
      rogoff@pawl.rpi.edu  userea7p@mts.rpi.edu
       David_Rogoff@rpitsmts (bitnet)