[comp.sys.amiga] IBM DOS / MULTIPLE MONITORS

joe@bryans.scc.com (04/25/89)

I misplaced the article concerning an IBM machine under DOS 3.3 running
two monitors, but this is in regards to that one.

Even though an IBM PS/2 can run with two monitors, DOS 3.3 is not multi-
tasking. Basically, most CAD programs (and other advanced graphic
applications) support specialized graphic boards which put out a separate
video output than the normal EGA/VGA output. Meaning it can be hooked up
to a graphics monitor at the same time your normal monitor is hooked up
to your standard graphics card. The software that utilizes this set up
is not multitasking, it merely sends all graphics output to the specialized
graphics board, and all text to your EGA/VGA board. It may look as if
you have two processes running, but it's just one that switches from one
display to another.

As far as I know, you can hook up a dumb terminal to the serial port on the
Amiga and use it as a second terminal. (ie. second monitor?)

Joe Kuzma
joe@bryans.scc.com

dnye@bbn.com (David Nye) (04/26/89)

In article <13970@louie.udel.EDU> joe@bryans.scc.com writes:

>Even though an IBM PS/2 can run with two monitors, DOS 3.3 is not multi-
>tasking. Basically, most CAD programs (and other advanced graphic
>applications) support specialized graphic boards which put out a separate
>video output than the normal EGA/VGA output. Meaning it can be hooked up
>to a graphics monitor at the same time your normal monitor is hooked up
>
>Joe Kuzma
>joe@bryans.scc.com

While we are on this subject, ;^>

I am sure some of you in netland who spend more time with the M*C than I, have
seen the M*C runing two monitors.  I was shown this at work.

When the person moves the mouse off one window it pops up in the other window.
It seems to work like one BIG monitor but in two sections.   ANY way that this
could be acomplished on the amiga?  From what they said the M*C can have FIVE
monitors going at the same time, One on each side and the one in the middle.

This looks real neat for those of us with hard drives that have very cluttered
screens  after going down to the deepest darkest directory.

Dave Nye
=     //     Dave Nye -- President, Southern New Hampshire AMIGA Users Group  =
=    //      dnye@bbn.com    dnye%bbn.com@relay.cs.net  ...!harvard!bbn!dnye  =
= \\//       BBN, Inc., Cambridge, Mass., My Employers computer, MY opinion.. =

jonathan@jvc.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) (04/27/89)

In article <39112@bbn.COM>, dnye@bbn.com (David Nye) writes:

> I am sure some of you in netland who spend more time with the M*C than I,
> have seen the M*C runing two monitors.  I was shown this at work.

I hate using a Mac, but one nice thing about the Mac II is the way display
cards work.  Every frame buffer is required to have a ROM which among other
things lists the attributes of the frame buffer, like the x-y dimensions,
screen depth, color map size, etc.  The Mac can use any display card which
meets the proper requirements, and display Macintosh windows and menus in
them.  There are a *lot* of different NuBus displays for the MacII from
Radius, SuperMac, Truvel, and RasterOps (I last looked at this stuff about two
months before the Mac II was released, so flame me via e-mail if I'm wrong)

I realize that this doesn't fit in at all with the way the current Amiga
computers work, but it's really nice to be able to decide what resolution
and color depth you want (How deep are your pockets?).  I'd kill for an Amiga
with 1024x768 24-bit color + overlay.  A Vista 32 board would do the trick, if
only the OS knew how to use it.  Oh yeah, I want 60+ Hz, non-interlaced, so
don't try to sit on a pixel bus somewhere and assemble frames for me.

-Jonathan		JVC Labs	uunet!jvc!jonathan