[comp.sys.amiga] A2090a

In article <3910@hoptoad.uucp> slc@hoptoad.UUCP (Steve Costa) writes:

>I've finally got a hard disk! I've installed the A2090 controller and
>an ST251 (40 MEG) on my A2000.
>
>I have some questions:
>

>   3. I was under the impression that the A2090a was available,
>      and requested it. However, I got the A2090 (as far as I can
>      tell anyway... I can't find any obscure lettering indicating
>      it's anything but the original A2090). I ordered it from
>      Commodore and specifically requested the "A". So I called
>      them and was told that the A2090a isn't being produced yet.
>      I was under the impression from Usenet traffic that it
>      was available. What's the scoop?

... for listening to the net.
--
      "...and before too long I might, see those flashing red lights"
                          richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

carpent@coltrane.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Carpenter) (04/21/89)

I have two questions that arose from things people posted previously:

1) Someone stated that low-level interleave on the A2090a is not user
   selectable.  (it is an artifact in the mountlist) Is this correct?  What is
   it set at?  I have a rather fast drive and would like to get all that is
   possible from it.

2) Again, back to the bus contention problem and FIFO on the A2090a, and the
   slowdown experienced with highres overscan color displays.  I was under
   the impression that this would eventually be fixed with new software (or
   ROMs).  Is this possible?

If I misunderstood, or misrepresented, please lemme know.  So far I have been
*quite* pleased with my system.

 -Todd C.

In article <20746@srcsip.UUCP> carpent@coltrane.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Carpenter) writes:
>1) Someone stated that low-level interleave on the A2090a is not user
>   selectable.  (it is an artifact in the mountlist) Is this correct?  What is
>   it set at?

	I believe it is always set to 1.  I'd be suprised if it was otherwise
(though it is possible).  The 2090 can handle interleave 1, it seems some
drives can't.

>2) Again, back to the bus contention problem and FIFO on the A2090a, and the
>   slowdown experienced with highres overscan color displays.  I was under
>   the impression that this would eventually be fixed with new software (or
>   ROMs).  Is this possible?

	This is possible (slowdown would still occur, it just won't be
anywhere near as bad.)  When (and if) these hypothetical roms will appear is
another question, one which I can't answer (I'm sure you understand).  We're
pretty busy, but it's certainly on the list (it's a major job). :-)

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

space@nadia.UUCP (Lars Soltau) (04/26/89)

In article <6660@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:
>In article <20746@srcsip.UUCP> carpent@coltrane.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Carpenter) writes:
>>1) Someone stated that low-level interleave on the A2090a is not user
>>   selectable.  (it is an artifact in the mountlist) Is this correct?  What is
>>   it set at?
>
>	I believe it is always set to 1.  I'd be suprised if it was otherwise
>(though it is possible).  The 2090 can handle interleave 1, it seems some
>drives can't.

Half true. Interleave IS always set to one at prep time (we're talking SCSI
drives here, with ST506 the A2090(a) doesn't do a lowlevel format).

But the A2090(a) cannot handle interleave 1 with all drives. The
Seagate ST296N for example has 34 sectors per track. Too much for my poor
old A2090. With interleave 1 data transfer slows down to a meager 170KB/s.

But after one day of debugging and single-stepping I was able to prep my
hd with interleave 3. Now it makes 390KB/s. Not that much, either, but
interleave 2 is still too fast for the A2090. Oh well, I'm selling that
drive anyway (thnx Bill :-).
--
Lars Soltau	UUCP: ...uunet!unido!pfm!nadia!space	BIX: -- no bucks --

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (04/27/89)

In article <367@nadia.UUCP> space@nadia.UUCP (Lars Soltau) writes:

>Half true. Interleave IS always set to one at prep time (we're talking SCSI
>drives here, with ST506 the A2090(a) doesn't do a lowlevel format).

Does this mean that I can't change the interleave on my ST506 drive?
It's A Rodime drive, the one that comes in an Amiga 2500 with an
A2090A.

    "What is another word for 'Thesaurus'?"  Steven Wright

                          Dave Lowrey
                          Amdahl Corp.
                          Houston, Texas
                          (713)-850-8828
                         ...!{ames,sun,decwrl,uunet,....}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]