[comp.sys.amiga] Questions and suggestions...

wzg91@ttacs1.ttu.edu (BROWN, KEVIN) (04/24/89)

A couple of questions:

Firstly, being a poor college student, I would like to expand my system in
the least expensive way possible.  Additionally, I would like to make my
expansion means as flexible as possible, so that I can add on more goodies
as I (somehow) acquire the $$$$.

The least expensive means in the long term seems to be to acquire a card
cage that will allow me to use B2000 cards, and then to acquire the
appropriate cards.

Well, unfortunately someone posted on the net recently that the current
expansion cages were relatively unreliable.  Being semi-hardware oriented,
however, it may be possible for me to build my own.  I have acquired the
A1000 expansion specs and within it resides the plans to build a 5-slot
Zorro-1 (100 pin) expansion chassis.  This I could do relatively easily,
for a reasonable price (price of parts + PAL programming fees), but am I
correct in stating that Zorro-1 and B2000 (I think it's called "Zorro-2")
expansion protocols are different?  If so, I need to know in what way!  I
need to know what connectors to use for the slots, what the pinout of the
slots are, and whether there are any timing and protocol differences
between the two expansion methods.  Dave, any comments??

Under normal circumstances I would buy the A500/2000 hardware manual, but
that's an extra $40 that I'd rather not spend if I can avoid it, since once
I have the specs I can probably complete this project without too much
trouble.

Secondly, I've read posts by several people regarding the Konica 10 meg
removable Winchester drive, and needless to say I'm quite enticed.
However, I can't seem to find any reference to this beast in any of the
magazines that I've read (AmigaWorld, Transactor, Amazing Computing, etc.),
so I have no idea what kind of prices I'd be looking at for it, nor what
kind of performance I could expect out of it, or even where to acquire it!

Anybody out there have any concrete figures on this?  I'm looking for
average seek time, average data transfer rates (preferably on several
different configurations), MTBF, power consumption, use with FFS (if
possible), autobooting, problems (and praise) with its use with different
controllers, and, of course, price.  Please e-mail this info to me as it
would probably soak up too much bandwidth on the net.  If everyone would
like, I'll be happy to post a summary after I've gotten a reasonable number
of responses.

Thirdly, have any of you noticed that just about every micro-based system
out there (UN*X boxes excluded) use some kind of menu-driven windowed shell
for their compilers?  IBM (ugh) has Microsoft (ugh :-) and Borland, both
with menu-based shells, the Atari ST has Lazer C, OSS Pascal, and HiSoft
Professional Basic, each with its own windowed shell, and EVERYTHING on the
MacIntosh is done via the window interface.  And what do we Amigans have??
THE CLI!!!!  I'll grant you that the CLI is useful for some things, but
most of the development cycle seems to involve editing, compiling, linking,
and running.  While "make" removes a lot of the hassles, it seems that a
windowed shell would make for a much nicer environment.  That being the
case, I'm seriously considering writing such a beast.  Features would
include completely customizable compiler invokation commands, customizable
compiler switches (both of which can be saved in configuration files so
that the shell would be useful for just about any compiler out there), the
ability to invoke "make", standard input/output from its window (scrollable
so that you can review error messages and the like), and multitasking of
commands (i.e., you can invoke your compiler with your editor up, all by
selecting one menu item).

There are two problems that immediately come to mind.  The first is simply
a technical problem: how do I tell the things that I invoke that STDIN and
STDOUT refer to my window?  As I understand it these are global BCPL
variables, which would make this extremely painful to do.  I'd prefer to
spawn a process, but this makes me think that I might have to LoadSeg()
everything, set up the Exec and Dos structures, and AddTask (or
equivalent), etc., by hand....yech.... Anyone have any ideas about this?
I'd prefer not to set things up such that the program simply adds a
menu-strip to someone's CLI, since I want to be able to invoke this thing
from Workbench (or Browser, which I happen to like a LOT better.  Good job,
Peter!).  Any ideas?

That's the easy part.  The HARD part is setting things up so that it would
be possible to intercept/trap/save compiler errors so that the editor could
go directly to the error in the source code.  Wish there were some sort of
standard error reporting system to make this easier...sigh...  Any of you
ever use LSE under VMS?  That's the sort of thing I'm talking about here...

Let me know what you guys think of my idea (if it's completely ludicrous
and I shouldn't waste my time, by all means tell me!), and e-mail me any
suggestions you might have for features to add to this thing.  I want the
Amiga to have the nicest programming environment possible, and I think it's
got the best resources around to give that to us, but nobody's taken
advantage of that yet.

And one more thing, this time a suggestion:  how many of you are TIRED of
dealing with that STUPID BCPL interfact to DOS?  I haven't done much
programming (except for stdio-type C), so I haven't messed with it yet, but
the very idea sickens me.  So my suggestion is this: why not have a library
out there, called, say, "cdos.library", which would implement ALL the DOS
functions using the C interface conventions (REAL pointers instead of these
bogus BPTRs, null-terminated strings, etc) for both input and output?  At
first it would be a disk-resident library that simply calls the (groan)
BCPL dos.library and converts the output to C convention.  Developers would
then have the choice of using the BCPL library (dos.library), the C library
(cdos.library), or even both!  Then, as the operating system matures and
people (hopefully) stop using dos.library, cdos.library could take its
place in the ROMs and dos.library made disk-resident and eventually phased
out of existence (which is where it should have been all along).

Again, please e-mail the responses unless you think it would be of general
interest to the net...many thanks!!

				Kevin Brown
				Internet: wzg91@ttacs1.ttu.edu or
					  c8u00@ttacs1.ttu.edu

				Bitnet:	  WZG91@TTACS1 or
					  C8U00@TTACS1

				Snail:	  404 Gaston Hall
					  Texas Tech University
					  Lubbock, TX  79406

				Voice:	  (806)742-4375

Disclaimer?  I don't need any disclaimer...everything I say is right!

wzg91@ttacs1.ttu.edu (BROWN, KEVIN) (04/27/89)

In article <13850@louie.udel.EDU>, BROWN, KEVIN writes:
>A couple of questions:
>
>Firstly, being a poor college student, I would like to expand my system in
>the least expensive way possible.  Additionally, I would like to make my
>expansion means as flexible as possible, so that I can add on more goodies
>as I (somehow) acquire the $$$$.

Since I posted this message, I have received one reply, and that a couple
of days ago.  I've seen nothing regarding this on the newsgroup(s) itself.
Did I break some sort of network protocol in the message?  I realize it was
rather lengthy...

Under normal conditions I would not be so concerned about this, but my
account(s) die in a couple of weeks.

To summarize my previous questions:

1.  I have the A1000 Expansion Specs, and contained therein are the plans
for an A1000 card cage, using (I believe) the Zorro-I spec.  Does anyone
know the differences between the Zorro-I and Zorro-II specs (timing and
signal layout, etc)?  My goal is to build an expansion system that will
allow me to use B2000 cards, and if there is interest, make the plans
publicly available (a la LUCAS) so that others may do the same at
relatively little expense.

2.  I've seen a few postings on the net about the Konica 10-meg removable
drive and am intrigued, but would like some detailed information about it
(like seek times, data transfer rates and compatibility with various
controllers, price, and reliability, and anything else you might want to
mention :-)...

3.  I've seen windowed, menu-driven shells for almost all the compilers for
other computer systems, namely IBM (All the Borland and Microsoft stuff,
save BASIC), Mac (*everything*), and Atari ST (HiSoft Basic, Lazer C, OSS
Pascal).  It seems that the Amiga is the only system in its class that
lacks this.  I would be interested in writing such a shell for the Amiga
(customizable so you can use it with any cli-based compiler, editor, and
make facility), but need to know if there would be any interest in such a
thing.  Also, if there is interest in such a shell, then I need to know how
to get my window to be considered stdin, stdout, and stderr by anything I
happen to invoke (I want to be able to invoke the shell from workbench or
CLI).

4.  How difficult would it be to write a run-time library that would act as
an interface between C programs and dos.library?  Currently, dos.library
expects a lot of BCPL constructs, and returns same, and while I haven't
done extensive programming with it, it seems rather silly that Amiga
programmers are constrained to use it when everything else in the system
conforms to C calling conventions.  I was thinking that perhaps the new
runtime library (cdos.library) could eventually replace dos.library in the
ROMs so as to provide a consistent programming interface.  Any comments on
this, guys??

As far as the above goes, please email responses unless you feel it would
be of general interest to the net, but if the mail bounces then PLEASE post
to the net!

				Many thanks!

				Kevin Brown
				Internet: wzg91@ttacs1.ttu.edu or