[comp.sys.amiga] 1.4 idea

dougp@sbphy.ucsb.edu (04/24/89)

perhaps the window location and size could be saved as a parameter
in the applications icon as a tooltype. This would be usefull if
you like to run more than one application at a time, you wouldn't
have to rearrange the windows every time the computer was rebooted.

douglas peale

nmm@apss.ab.ca (Neil McCulloch) (04/26/89)

If this can already be done, will someone let me know how...

This would be somewhat useful for those of us with no hard drive,
(yup I'm an early 1000 owner!), and only two floppies.
Can drawers on a disk, for example workbench which is in df0: be
linked to drawers on other volumes or even simply df1:

With this, you would simply call open the workbench disk window
and the array of drawers on that disk would lead you to the
proper second disk. I think this would assist in floppy
operation substantially.

If this is not possible for technical reasons. Would someone mind
explaining briefly why it isn't.

Cheers!

neil

thomas@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Thomas QA) (04/26/89)

In article <1168@apss.apss.ab.ca> nmm@apss.ab.ca (Neil McCulloch) writes:

> Can drawers on a disk, for example workbench which is in df0: be
> linked to drawers on other volumes or even simply df1:

It sounds like you want a PD (or maybe shareware) program called PathAss.
Basically, it combines the Path and Assign commands so that you can say
things like:

     PathAss LinkedDrawer: df0:drawer1,df1:drawer2

Then, when you do "dir LinkedDrawer:", you get the union of the two
drawers.  For floppy users it is probably most useful for splitting
fonts: accross multiple disks.

It was posted to comp.binaries.amiga a few months ago...

Hope this helps.

                    -Dave
--
Dave Thomas, Commodore Amiga Test Engineering
UUCP  ...{allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!thomas

dougp@sbphy.ucsb.edu (04/27/89)

In article <1510@hub.ucsb.edu>, dougp@sbphy.ucsb.edu writes...

>perhaps the window location and size could be saved as a parameter
>in the applications icon as a tooltype. This would be usefull if
>you like to run more than one application at a time, you wouldn't
>have to rearrange the windows every time the computer was rebooted.

Oops there must be a line eater in my brain, I ment this to be about
application windows, this feature is already available to workbench
owned windows.

Douglas Peale

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (04/27/89)

nmm@apss.ab.ca (Neil McCulloch) writes:
> Can drawers on a disk, for example workbench which is in df0: be
> linked to drawers on other volumes or even simply df1:
>
> If this is not possible for technical reasons. Would someone mind
> explaining briefly why it isn't.

It is not possible, since neither Workbench nor the filing system
were built to support it.

--
Michael Portuesi * Information Technology Center * Carnegie Mellon University
INET: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu * BITNET: mp1u+@andrew

"Did you make mankind after we made you?"  -- XTC, "Dear God"

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (04/27/89)

In article <1528@hub.ucsb.edu> dougp@sbphy.ucsb.edu writes:
>In article <1510@hub.ucsb.edu>, dougp@sbphy.ucsb.edu writes...
>
>>perhaps the window location and size could be saved as a parameter
>>in the applications icon as a tooltype.
I ment this to be about application windows,
>Douglas Peale

There is already a way to do this. It's called something like
"ToolWindow" in the icon file. I don't think you could set
it from the GetInfo menu. NopePad (<- originally a typo,
but I like it) saves this in the tooltypes array.
So there is already a standard and a non-standard way
of doing this, and as far as I know there has always
been this method. Except that the original startup
code for some compiler(s) would not take advantage
of it, so nobody seems to use it. Oh well.