[comp.sys.amiga] AShell problems

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (04/23/89)

	I just started using ARP 1.3 last night.  While the new ARP Shell,
AShell, has loads of really *GREAT* features (especially pipe syntax and
environment variable support), I have put it aside because it crashes my
A1000 very often, sometimes even back to Kickstart.
	Have other people had this problem?

	Yes, I installed ARP 1.3 properly using ARPInstall.  I can start up
an AShell no problem, along with ConMan 1.3.  However, my problems look like
this:

(1)	I can't get DMouse to start up a new AShell when I press
	<L-AMIGA><ESC>.  Although I have the line:

			DMouse -C AShell

	in my startup-sequence, pressing <L-AMIGA><ESC> hits the disk and
	does NOTHING.  Pressing it several times caused one of my crashes
	back to Kickstart.

(2)	The machine crashed back to Kickstart when I tried to execute a
	simple script file that I have used for years.

(3)	Amy crashed when I started up and closed a bunch of AShell's.

	HARDWARE:  A1000 with 512K, 2meg StarboardII, Commodore 3.5"
external drive, 50meg C.Ltd. SCSI hard drive system, C.Ltd. Timesaver.
	SOFTWARE:  KS/WB 1.3, ConMan 1.3, DMouse 1.10, Rez.

--
# Dan Barrett	barrett@cs.jhu.edu	(128.220.13.4)	ARPANET             #
#		ins_adjb@jhuvms.bitnet			BITNET              #

tlm@pur-phy (Timothy Lee Meisenheimer) (04/23/89)

I think it is more a problem with conman (I like it anyway). I ran into
similar problems with the regular 1.3 Shell. I wanted to replace the
standard NewCon: handler with the ConMan handler in the mountlist. I did
this in the prescribed method and it seemed to work fine. Except when I
typed Newshell to start a new shell it came back with an error and
couldn't open a window! Works fine with NewShell NewCon:0/0/100/100/Shell
etc.! Then I found that this is also true of AShell! If you just type
Ashell you ge the same type of error message back but typing
Ashell Con:0/0/100/100/AShell works like a champ! I do this with dmouse
and can hotkey 20 shells if I want. If memory serves correct you
get errors trying to do NewShell(AShell) Con://// too. Anyway I think
the problem is with ConMan. This is with ConMan1.1 Rev2.

I'd be interest in others experiences.

tim.

nordmark@spirit.nada.kth.se (Arne Nordmark) (04/23/89)

In article <1535@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) writes:

>	I just started using ARP 1.3 last night.  While the new ARP Shell,
>AShell, has loads of really *GREAT* features (especially pipe syntax and
>environment variable support), I have put it aside because it crashes my
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>A1000 very often, sometimes even back to Kickstart.

Give up easy eh? :-)

>	Have other people had this problem?

Well, I have had problems, but not with AShell (that seems to be absolutely
marvelous except for some strange behaviour with $variable substitution),
but with NEWCON. AShell wants NEWCON as default, and this may cause problems
with ConMan.

If you use the C= 1.3 MountList, and say
  Mount NEWCON:
you get the C= NEWCON period.

But if you use ConMan, you probably don't want to use the C= NEWCON device
at all, you want ConMan instead.
Now, ConMan 1.3 includes a MountList with lots of new entries, including PIP:
and NEWCON:. The new entry for NEWCON are supposed to refer to ConMan instead.

If you use the new mountlist and mount NEWCON the system seems to get
in big trouble when someone accesses NEWCON.

>(1)	I can't get DMouse to start up a new AShell when I press
>	<L-AMIGA><ESC>.  Although I have the line:
>
>			DMouse -C AShell

Try
  DMouse -C AShell CON:0/0/640/200/AShell
instead. If this doesn't help, the problem lies elsewhere.

I get around the problems with NEWCON by simply adding the line
  AssignDev NEWCON: CON:
to my startup script. This assigns the name NEWCON to CON (i.e. ConMan)
and seems to work in any weather.

As an A2000 user I also have the line
  AssignDev DF1: DF2:    ; Makes "DF1: an alias for "DF2:"

Great litle program, AssignDev! I got it from our local BBS.

  - Gunnar

SNAIL: Gunnar Nordmark          VOICE: (+46) 8 - 755 42 52
       Nora strand 5
       S-182 34 DANDERYD        EMAIL: gno@stacken.kth.se
       SWEDEN                          gno@SESTAK.BITNET

"Words, words, words."  William Shakespeare

ba@m-net.UUCP (Bill Allen) (04/27/89)

And while we're on the subject of Ashell...
Is there any reason why ARP's v1.3.0 NewCLI, NewShell, and Ashell are
all byte for byte identical?  Couldn't we have ALIAS'd this instead?

Don't do what I did and try different things with different ones
thinking they were better/worse than one another.
or call Sharewarer's BBS at 313-473-2020 24hrs, PCP thru MIDET, 100% Amiga

gilham@polya.Stanford.EDU (Fred Gilham) (04/28/89)

In article <3142@m2-net.UUCP> ba@m-net.UUCP (Bill Allen) writes:

>And while we're on the subject of Ashell...
>Is there any reason why ARP's v1.3.0 NewCLI, NewShell, and Ashell are
>all byte for byte identical?  Couldn't we have ALIAS'd this instead?

My impression upon noting this was that these programs figure out how
to behave by seeing what their name is.  Sort of like compress and
uncompress -- the same program but if it is called compress it
compresses and ....
So what I observed was that NewCLI acts like a cli, NewShell acts like
a shell and Ashell acts like a shell too.  This is unfortunate because
there are programs like Mg (a form of emacs) that execute a newcli.
If you want to make this bring up a shell, you can't just rename
Ashell to NewCLI, because the resulting cli will act like a cli.  Have
to recompile.  But if you ever want to go back to pure clis for some
reason, you have to recompile again, or make a copy of NewCLI
(Commodore version) called Ashell.  Let me know if I'm wrong on this.
Obviously I'd like to call Ashell NewCLI and get a shell with it.
-Fred Gilham