[comp.sys.amiga] RAD: memory limits

youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young) (04/25/89)

A friend of mine asked me to ask the net a question he has about
RAD:. He asks the following:

     Ask the net (as I am not yet on the groups) about a
   problem that I am having with RAD:. I have a 2Meg RAM-BOard and a 2Meg
   Starboard II attached to my Amiga 1000. I cannot seem to get a RAD:
   bigger than 2.0 Meg to survive a warm boot. I have no problems with one
   that is below 2Meg, but even a few blocks more gives me grief. I know
   that the memory is not continuous because it resides on two different
   boards that autoconfig, but MergeMem works fine and creates one big
   4.5 Meg memory space (512K built-in RAM). I can see where RAD: cannot
   span board boundaries, but is it possible to fix RAD: so that it does
   a MergeMem and THEN looks to the now contiguous memory space for it's
   pointers or data or whatever it looks for? I would really appreciate
   any help because my Lattice 5.0 development environment with AmigaDOS
   1.3 pushes to 2 Meg RAD: to the limit and I have to put stuff on an
   external floppy. I have more than enough spare memory, and I love the
   RAD: and how it can re-boot, but I would really like to use a little
   bit more of my memory in RAD: and get the stuff off the external floppy.

Follow up to the group if you think it would benifit everyone or just
send me mail. Either way I will see that my friend gets the replies.

					Thanks,
					Bret

ARPA:    youngb@eg.ecn.purdue.edu
UUCP:    youngb@pur-ee.uucp

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (04/28/89)

In article <11443@pur-ee.UUCP> youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young) writes:

>A friend of mine asked me to ask the net a question he has about
>RAD:. He asks the following:
>
>     Ask the net (as I am not yet on the groups) about a
>   problem that I am having with RAD:. I have a 2Meg RAM-BOard and a 2Meg
>   Starboard II attached to my Amiga 1000. I cannot seem to get a RAD:
>   bigger than 2.0 Meg to survive a warm boot. I have no problems with one
>   that is below 2Meg, but even a few blocks more gives me grief. I know
>   that the memory is not continuous because it resides on two different
>   boards that autoconfig, but MergeMem works fine and creates one big
>   4.5 Meg memory space (512K built-in RAM). I can see where RAD: cannot
>   span board boundaries, but is it possible to fix RAD: so that it does
>   a MergeMem and THEN looks to the now contiguous memory space for it's
>   pointers or data or whatever it looks for? I would really appreciate

nope;  because there is probably a memory header right in the middle
of the contigious block that RAD required.  Sure, RAD could
merge the cards if they are mergable, but that won't restore
the missing data that used to be where the memory header now is.

The easiest thing to do is go into a copy of the ramdrive binary and
change the name so you can have another one.  I didn't say this, however :-)
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

  "There is no programming problem that cannot be solved by proper
  "application of the Delete command."