[comp.sys.amiga] Max Toy

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (04/26/89)

I have not seen this mentioned anywhere on comp.sys.amiga, so I thought I would
post it for your info. Max Toy from CBM has left to pursue other interests.

I am sorry to see him go, as he seemed to be one of the best CEO's Commodore
has had in a LONG TIME! I hope CBM stays on its improved "path". :>

I base the above on info gathered from a couple of major networks (GEnie,
American People Link, etc...).

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

In article <17592@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>I have not seen this mentioned anywhere on comp.sys.amiga, so I thought I would
>post it for your info. Max Toy from CBM has left to pursue other interests.
>
>I am sorry to see him go, as he seemed to be one of the best CEO's Commodore
>has had in a LONG TIME! I hope CBM stays on its improved "path". :>

	Note: Max was only the president of the US Sales company, not
all of Commodore.  There's a big difference.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

detert@lognet2.arpa (CMS David K. Detert) (04/27/89)

I just heard that the Wall Street Journal today reported that Max Toy
has departed Commodore.  Me thinks that was trouble with Mr Gould, but
what doe~{ it mean for the future of Commodore and the Amiga?  Can
anyone shed more light on this subject please???  Cheers, Dave

CMSgt Dx{vid K Detert, USAF       ARPANet:  detert@logne:{2.arpa

(Sorry for the line noise)
PS.  For Ethan, thanks for the reply re IN1000 chips.  Mail bounced.

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (04/28/89)

In article <17592@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>I have not seen this mentioned anywhere on comp.sys.amiga, so I thought I would
>post it for your info. Max Toy from CBM has left to pursue other interests.
>
>I am sorry to see him go, as he seemed to be one of the best CEO's Commodore
>has had in a LONG TIME! I hope CBM stays on its improved "path". :>

	Note: Max was only the president of the US Sales company, not
all of Commodore.  There's a big difference.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

 Opps, right you are! I should have mentioned that in my message. Sorry if I
caused any confusion.

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

The following press release was issued 4/24/89 by Commodore Imternational
Limited:

** Commodore Names Copperman as President of US Operations **

West Chester, PA, Monday April 24, 1989 -- Commodore International Limited
(NYSE:CBU) today announced it has named Harold D. Copperman as President
and Chief Operating Officer of Commodore's US Operations, Commodore
Business Machines, Inc.  He replaces Max Toy, who resigned to pursue
other interests.

Mr. Copperman, 42, was formerly Vice President and General Manager, Eastern
Operations, Apple Computer, Inc. His responsibilities included overseeing
sales, marketing, support, and distribution for Apple's Eastern region.
He also managed Apple's Federal Systems Group. Prior to that, Mr. Copperman
served with International Business Machines for twenty years, most recently
as National Director of Marketing for IBM's Academic Information Systems
Business Unit.

Irving Gould, Chairman, Commodore International Limited, said, "Our
overseas operations have experienced strong growth in sales and profitability,
and the hiring of an individual with Harry Copperman 's experience and
track record is a key element in our plan for building a strong US operation."

Mr. Copperman said he "plans to take advantage of Commodore's broad range of
products to further penetrate the education market and to expand our use of
value-added resellers.  We will also continue to build and enhance our dealer
distribution network." These activities, he said, are in line with Commodore's
continuing US and worldwide strategy of increasing its presence in business,
government and education while mantaining and expanding its traditional
strength in the consumer sector."

Mr. Copperman began his career with IBM in 1967 as a System Engineeer. During
the 1970-1982 period, he worked for IBM's Data Processing Division and held
a variety of sales, marketing and management positions. In 1983, he joined
IBM's National Marketing Division, where he was named Director of Marketing
and then Regional Manager.  In 1986, he assumed national responsibility for
IBM's sales and marketing in higher education.  He joined Apple Computer in
September 1987 in his most recent position. A Graduate of Rutgers University,
Mr. Copperman hold a BS in mechanical Engineering.

------- end of quote

I had the opportunity to meet with Mr. Copperman when he was with IBM
ACIS and as such was overseeing the USC Advanced Computing Support Center.
He is known for being a very "tough" guy.

Wall Street seemed to take the change pretty well. Yesterday Commodore's
stock was trading at $19 3/8, almost the highest it has been in the
recent months.

-- Marco papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]