[comp.sys.amiga] TTL -> Amiga

jimbo@well.UUCP (Jim Bolton) (04/23/89)

Due to eye strain from many hours of coding I find the need to switch to an
amber monitor.  I have a brand semi-new Magnavox monitor that I use on the
PC clone but I would prefer to code directly on my Amiga.  So I would like
to know if it is possible to hook a TTL level digital video monitor to an
Amiga 1000 and have it work properly?  If it is possible then I would
appreciate the specifics on how this can be done.

The Magnavox has a 6 Pin Din plug to the monitor and a 9 Pin "D" to the
Monochrome Adapter Card on the PC clone:

     SIGNAL            9 Pin Plug    6 Pin Plug
     ------            ----------    ----------
     Ground                 1             3
     Ground                 2             6
     Not Used               3             -
     Not Used               4             -
     Not Used               5             -
     Intensity              6             4
     Video                  7             5
     Horizontal Sync        8             1
     Vertical Sync          9             2

Thanks in advance for any information on this question.

- CUTE SOFTWARE    Jim Bolton    P.O. Box 1496    Zephyr Cove, NV 89448 -
- (702) 588-7179                             CUTE BBS at (714) 532-5698 -
-                well!jimbo@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU                         -

bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu (Ben W. Discoe) (04/25/89)

In article <11373@well.UUCP> jimbo@well.UUCP (Jim Bolton) writes:

>Due to eye strain from many hours of coding I find the need to switch to an
>amber monitor.  I have a brand semi-new Magnavox monitor that I use on the
>PC clone but I would prefer to code directly on my Amiga.  So I would like
>to know if it is possible to hook a TTL level digital video monitor to an
>Amiga 1000 and have it work properly?  If it is possible then I would
>appreciate the specifics on how this can be done.

   There (is/may be) a commercial product that not only will connect your
Amiga to such a monitor but remove interlacing as well!  They also claim
it passes the RGB port and works on any Amiga.  The weird thing is, although
they:
     Hypertek/Silicon Springs        (the makers of GOMF)
     205-2571 Shaughnessy Street
     Port Coquitlam, B.C. CANADA
     V3C 3G3

have advertised this "TTL monitor interface" with a price of $99 for a LONG
TIME in Amazing Computing, I fear this product remains VAPORWARE.  I wrote
them a list of questions about the device, and received a "thank you for
your interest in our product" letter, which basically admits it didn't
exist at that time.  (3-4 months ago)

  This is a real shame because a device like this would be a Most Excellent
second-monitor option, since almost everything I do is interlaced.  I'm sure
there's a large demand for such a thing.  Why don't we bother the company
for details (I can't make non-collect long-distance calls here, but someone
should try their Technical Support number: 604 524-1125

Let's see this product in reality!!

jimbo@well.UUCP (Jim Bolton) (04/25/89)

This is a repost because it seems we were disconnected from Usenet for
a few days and I don't believe this ever made it out.

yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) (04/27/89)

In article <10471@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Ben W. Discoe) writes:
-
-   There (is/may be) a commercial product that not only will connect
-your Amiga to such a monitor but remove interlacing as well!  They also
-claim it passes the RGB port and works on any Amiga.  The weird thing
-is, although they have advertised this "TTL monitor interface" with a
-price of $99 for a LONG TIME in Amazing Computing, I fear this product
-remains VAPORWARE.  I wrote them a list of questions about the device,
-and received a "thank you for your interest in our product" letter,
-which basically admits it didn't exist at that time.  (3-4 months ago)

	$99 for the interface plus another $99 for a TTL monochrome
monitor, you might as well buy a NEC MultiSync GS, and have less hassles.
But then, if you already have a TTL monitor, or that you're really tight
financially...  8(
--
Yuan Chang 				      "What can go wrong, did"
UUCP:      {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!yuan

post@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (The POSTMAN) (04/27/89)

> Amiga to such a monitor but remove interlacing as well!  They also claim
> it passes the RGB port and works on any Amiga.  The weird thing is, although
> they:
>      Hypertek/Silicon Springs        (the makers of GOMF)
>      205-2571 Shaughnessy Street
>      Port Coquitlam, B.C. CANADA
>      V3C 3G3
>
> have advertised this "TTL monitor interface" with a price of $99 for a LONG
> TIME in Amazing Computing, I fear this product remains VAPORWARE.  I wrote
> them a list of questions about the device, and received a "thank you for
> your interest in our product" letter, which basically admits it didn't
> exist at that time.  (3-4 months ago)

[stuff deleted]

> Let's see this product in reality!!

Funny, up here in Calgary I saw that product at a local dealer over a year
ago.  Don't know why you got the run around?

Looked pretty good too!

Lenny Post
Member/Executive of AMUC (The AMiga Users of Calgary)

Alternate Address: calgary!xenlink!blender!lenny

"No.  Amiga is not dead.  Hell, it's not even tired." --- Leo. L. Schwab

dca@kesmai.COM (David C. Albrecht) (04/29/89)

In article <10471@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu (Ben W. Discoe) writes:
> In article <11373@well.UUCP> jimbo@well.UUCP (Jim Bolton) writes:
> >
> >[Stuff about wanting to use a TTL level monitor to the Amiga]
>
>    There (is/may be) a commercial product that not only will connect your
> Amiga to such a monitor but remove interlacing as well!  They also claim
> it passes the RGB port and works on any Amiga.  The weird thing is, although
> they:
>      Hypertek/Silicon Springs        (the makers of GOMF)
>      205-2571 Shaughnessy Street
>      Port Coquitlam, B.C. CANADA
>      V3C 3G3
>
> have advertised this "TTL monitor interface" with a price of $99 for a LONG
> TIME in Amazing Computing, I fear this product remains VAPORWARE.  I wrote
> them a list of questions about the device, and received a "thank you for
> your interest in our product" letter, which basically admits it didn't
> exist at that time.  (3-4 months ago)
As far as I know of the product does exist.  But then it isn't much.
It doesn't de-interlace the signal going to the monitor it uses a
TTL monitor which has long persistence phosphors which makes the
flicker much less noticeable.  However, it requires a specific monitor,
a Commdore 1090 I believe (not included in the price),
which you then have to go inside and hack so
that it can be driven by a RGB analog type signal rather than by the
digital values.  Other than that, it is mostly a cable.  Any amiga has
digital RGBI coming out the back so you can hook up a TTL monitor directly
but getting something that produces readable output for your typical
4 level monitor is a little iffy.  I also had to go inside the monitor
and adjust it to get reasonable height since the scan rates differ
between normal TTL and the Amiga's CGA rates.  Be forewarned, the signal
voltages inside a video monitor are nothing to mess with if you aren't
pretty savvy about electronics and servicing.

David Albrecht