[comp.sys.amiga] atari to amiga to sun

mek@punjab.udev.cdc.com (Mark Kennedy) (04/27/89)

Does anyone have/know of a program to convert atari st
high res pictures and convert them to an Amiga
format (IFF or similar)?

Does anyone have/know of a program that will convert
HAM pictures on the Amiga to Sun raster format?

Does anyone know where I can find out just what the
specifications for IFF format are?  I could write my
own if I knew.  I have the IFF2Sun program, but this
seems very limited in that it will not do HAM pictures.
(from ff174).

Any info &/or sources (if pd) would be appreciated.

	-Mark.
Mark Kennedy                   | AT&T: (612) 649-1119
Control Data Corporation       | E-Mail: mek@punjab.udev.cdc.com
All opinions expressed are my own and bear no relation to fact.

mowgli@bat.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mowgli Assor) (04/27/89)

In article <396@punjab.udev.cdc.com>
              mek@punjab.udev.cdc.com (Mark Kennedy) writes:

>Does anyone have/know of a program to convert atari st
>high res pictures and convert them to an Amiga
>format (IFF or similar)?

By hi-res, do you mean monochrome or color? Oh well, no
matter, I'm just curious. Anyway, there's a program
which I saw (& have, I think 9-) called PICSWTCH for
the Atari ST, which will convert various resolution
pictures from the ST to various interesting formats (I
don't remember all of them, but there was quite a list).
You may want to get a hold of it.

>Does anyone have/know of a program that will convert
>HAM pictures on the Amiga to Sun raster format?
>
>Does anyone know where I can find out just what the
>specifications for IFF format are?  I could write my
>own if I knew.  I have the IFF2Sun program, but this
>seems very limited in that it will not do HAM pictures.
>(from ff174).

As I recall, the specs for IFF are listed in one of the
RKMs (I don't have them, so I don't know which). But, I
also remember it being covered by one of the magazines
(maybe Amiga Transactor, in an early issue?).

>	-Mark.
>--
>Mark Kennedy                   | AT&T: (612) 649-1119
>Control Data Corporation       | E-Mail: mek@punjab.udev.cdc.com
>All opinions expressed are my own and bear no relation to fact.

Good luck.
					<Mowgli>

-=-
Address: mowgli@puffer.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mowgli Assor in real life)
     Or: mowgli@cis.ohio-state.edu
The 2 precepts of Semi-Divinity:	(1) Mind Thine Own Business.
					(2) Don't Worry About It.

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Christopher Chiesa) (04/28/89)

In article <396@punjab.udev.cdc.com>, mek@punjab.udev.cdc.com (Mark Kennedy) writes:

> Does anyone know where I can find out just what the
> specifications for IFF format are?  I could write my
> own if I knew.  I have the IFF2Sun program, but this
> seems very limited in that it will not do HAM pictures.
> (from ff174).

I don't know if this will help you, but...  I have just been reading IFF
documentation up the proverbial wazoo, found on FF #16.  It's the 1985 info,
so there's probably some newer stuff, but that'd be one place to start...
I believe the disk also contains C source for routines to manipulate (i.e.
read, write, etc. etc.) IFF files for all sorts of entities including ILBM
bitmaps.

Once you get 'em IN using THESE routines, you can write whatever output
handling you feel like...

--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP

rhir_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Bob Hirosky) (04/29/89)

In article <396@punjab.udev.cdc.com> mek@punjab.udev.cdc.com (Mark Kennedy) writes:
>Does anyone have/know of a program to convert atari st
>high res pictures and convert them to an Amiga
>format (IFF or similar)?
	There is a program called multiview which will display
atari pictures, iff's and I think macintosh pics as well.
It may be on a bbs near you.
	-Bob

In article <6968@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> cfchiesa@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Christopher Chiesa) writes:
>I have just been reading IFF
>documentation up the proverbial wazoo, found on FF #16.  [ ... ]
>I believe the disk also contains C source for routines to manipulate (i.e.
>read, write, etc. etc.) IFF files for all sorts of entities including ILBM
>bitmaps.

	Ignore this code.  It is write-only (i.e. unreadable) baroque
gobbledegook.  Unless you can understand it (which, from all indications, is
doubtful), you will get nowhere with it.

#define	SHAMELESS_PLUG

	What's more, if I get my wish, that code will be officially declared
as obsolete, and be replaced by the Ferguson/Schwab IFF parser.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac