[comp.sys.amiga] Mac --> Amiga

winfnws@dutrun.UUCP (Marinko Laban) (04/27/89)

Hello there ...

Does anybody know if there exists a program for the amiga that can
read Apple Macintosh floppies ?

Please respond to me by e-mail to duticg!marinko

Thanx in advance, Marinko Laban
-------------------------------------
Feeling overactive today ?
Wield a dead cockatrice !
-------------------------------------

jwl@Feanor.Stanford.EDU (John Lockhart) (04/29/89)

CAUTION:  COMMERCIAL INFORMATION FOLLOWS.

In article <709@dutrun.UUCP> winfnws@dutrun.UUCP (Marinko Laban) writes:

>Does anybody know if there exists a program for the Amiga that can
>read apple Macintosh floppies ?

No, but you can read/write IBM 3.5" floppies with Dos-2-Dos; if you
have a Mac program to read/write IBM disks, you should be able to

There's a nicer (but more expensive) alternative coming RSN...
I got a letter from CCS today, with the following info:

Central Coast Software, the same folks who make Dos-2-Dos, will
be marketing a Mac<->Amiga disk reading utility called Mac-2-Dos.

The product includes a hardware interface, driver software, file conversion
software, and optionally, a Mac-compatible 3.5" floppy drive.  It is
*not* a Mac emulator, it just lets you transfer files back and forth.

The tentative list price is $99, or $349 with a Mac-compatible drive.
Mac-compatible drives made by Apple will not work; they only guarantee
compatibility with the drive they sell.

However, you can use this Mac drive as an extra Amiga floppy drive.
The drive uses the Amiga's disk drive port and is powered by the Amiga.

Release is scheduled for June, 1989.

For more info, contact:

Central Coast Software, 424 Vista Avenue, Golden, CO  80401  U.S.A.
Phone: (303) 526-1030  FAX:   (303) 526-0520

I'm looking forward to seeing this; I have two friends who were foolish
enough to buy Macs despite my advice.  Growl; I go through acrobatics and
lots of retyping to transfer files.

I have no connection with CCS except wanting to use their product.
BTW, Marinko requested an e-mail reply, but mail bounced, and I felt
that others may be interested in this product...

                         -- John Lockhart
               jwl@feanor.stanford.edu  BIX: jlockhart

kevin@cbmvax.UUCP (Kevin Klop) (04/29/89)

In article <709@dutrun.UUCP> winfnws@dutrun.UUCP (Marinko Laban) writes:

>Does anybody know if there exists a program for the Amiga that can
>read apple Macintosh floppies ?
>               jwl@feanor.stanford.edu  BIX: jlockhart

It will take some hardware to read a Mac disk.  The main reason
is that Apple varied the rotational speed of the drives as the head
was moved in and out.  Later on they got smarter and left rotational
speed alone and just changed the data clock.  Both of these result
in a disk structure that can't be read by a fixed-speed drive
like the Amiga's.

Kevin Klop		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!kevin
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

The number, 111-111-1111 has been changed.  The new number is:
134-253-2452-243556-678893-3567875645434-4456789432576-385972

Disclaimer: _I_ don't know what I said, much less my employer.