[comp.sys.amiga] The A1000 was a Great Deal!!

gmd@myhut.UUCP (George MacDonald) (04/23/89)

I bought my Amiga 1000 on Oct 5th 1985 in Miami. Hey that beats everyone
but Leo. Let's see I paid

   $1295  A1000
    $165   256k Additional memory
	$500   2Mb Starboard

I just traded it in for my new 2500 and got $1000 off. I then turned
around and bought it back from the store for $300 and sold the A1000 +
starboard for $1000!  So the way I figure it, it only cost me about $260
not bad for three years use!!!

I also read about the Amiga in Byte and made up my mind to buy it based
on the article. Funny how byte orphaned such a wonderful child!!!

George MacDonald  zinn!myhut!gmd

scotty@ziggy.UUCP (Scott Drysdale) (04/25/89)

In article <0289.AA0289@myhut> gmd@myhut.UUCP (George MacDonald) writes:

>I bought my Amiga 1000 on Oct 5th 1985 in Miami. Hey that beats everyone
>but Leo. Let's see I paid

heh heh.  september 23rd, computerland manhattan.  A1000 & 256K RAM.

trudel@caip.rutgers.edu (Jonathan D. Trudel) (04/26/89)

>heh heh.  september 23rd, computerland manhattan.  A1000 & 256K RAM.

>  --Scotty

(Since he's too busy to post himself, I'll do it in his stead).

Aside from the fact that my roomie (Eric Lavitsky) and I were both at
the launch of the Amiga at Lincoln Center back in July '85, he drove
to Commodore HQ in August of '85 to pick up his 1000, SO THERE!

aaron@madnix.UUCP (Aaron Avery) (04/26/89)

In article <0289.AA0289@myhut> gmd@myhut.UUCP (George MacDonald) writes:
>I bought my Amiga 1000 on Oct 5th 1985 in Miami. Hey that beats everyone
>but Leo. Let's see I paid

You must not be counting develper's machines. Many developers received their
machines before you and I got ours. I reserved one of the first shipment of
10 Amigas sent to my local dealer on Aug 22, 1985. They arrived, and I picked
mine up on Oct 4. I swear. I just checked. I'm not trying to steal anyone's
thunder. :-)

>I also read about the Amiga in Byte and made up my mind to buy it based
>on the article. Funny how byte orphaned such a wonderful child!!!

I heard about the Amiga, and also the upcoming Byte article here on the net
via net.micro.amiga. I waited many months (impatiently) for them to arrive
here in town, and I believe mine was in the first wave of shipments to go out.

--
Aaron Avery, ASDG Inc.         "A mime is a terrible thing to waste."
                                                             -- Robin Williams

page%rishathra@Sun.COM (Bob Page) (04/27/89)

>Eric Lavitsky drove to Commodore HQ in August of '85 to pick up his 1000

Gee, CBM UPS'ed me two systems in August; I didn't have to drive to HQ :-)

Eric was also the author of the first program posted to
net.micro.amiga.  It was a "hello world" program, a large
accomplishment at the time, back when our heads ached looking at that
large white stack of books.

How far we've come, eh?

..bob
Bob Page	sun!page	page@sun.com

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (04/30/89)

In article <Apr.25.19.24.07.1989.28958@caip.rutgers.edu> trudel@caip.rutgers.edu (Jonathan D. Trudel) writes:
>Aside from the fact that my roomie (Eric Lavitsky) and I were both at
>the launch of the Amiga at Lincoln Center back in July '85, he drove
>to Commodore HQ in August of '85 to pick up his 1000, SO THERE!

Ok, ok, let's hear from Dale and Jimm and Rob now...there's gotta be
a *real* record there somewhere!
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt			Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow
{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug	Professional Wildeyed Visionary

"Of course, I'm no rocket scientist" -- Randell Jesup, Capt. Boinger Corps