[comp.sys.amiga] Commercials on NET

dwi@manta.NOSC.MIL (Steve Stamper) (04/28/89)

Is it OK to post commercials on the NET or is that a NoNo
punishable by death?

-Roger Uzun

Commercials on the NET (sic) are not punishable by death.

Commercial postings to USENET subject one to a "snuggie."

A "snuggie" is the process by which one is hoisted off the ground by one's
undergarments.

Previous "snuggie" recipients have recanted the errors of their ways.

Clear enough?  :-)  :-)

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (05/01/89)

In article <17738@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>Commercial postings to USENET subject one to a "snuggie."
>
>A "snuggie" is the process by which one is hoisted off the ground by one's
>undergarments.
>
>Previous "snuggie" recipients have recanted the errors of their ways.

Nice try, but incorrect. I refer you to "announce.newusers", which is
considered by netiquette to be A) required reading by all new users,
B) essential guidelines to be followed by everyone, and C) recommended
re-reading by everyone at *least* once a year (or whenever someone catches
you misremembering the rules, whichever comes first :-).

It clearly states that it's ok to post an announcement of some new or
previously unknown (etc) commercial product/service. What's not cool is
to keep reposting on the same commercial item as a form of advertising.

I know that we (and many other groups) have periodic flame wars where the
"keep Usenet pure and pristine" camp usually seems to win from sheer volume
of flames. But that doesn't make it official policy.

Sorry, Thad, but this is another case of RTFM.
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt			Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow
{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug	Professional Wildeyed Visionary

"Of course, I'm no rocket scientist" -- Randell Jesup, Capt. Boinger Corps