[comp.sys.amiga] Fast File System and SupraMount

phil@eos.UUCP (Phil Stone) (04/26/89)

I finally got my Supra/Quantum 80 setup going, but I'm not sure
if I'm running the Fast File System.  The software supplied with
the Supra card did most of the work, but it didn't mention the
Fast File System specifically (it's version 5.1, I think).

Is there an easy way to tell if a partition is FFS?

If I don't have it, do I just follow the instructions in the
Enhancer manual, or do I need to do something special for the
Supra software to be happy?

Also, it's not clear from the Enhancer manual how big the Slow
File System partition has to be.  They give an example of one with
the entire workbench on it - why would anyone want to do that?

I have a feeling these are stupid questions, but I RTFM, and I'm
still in the dark.

		Phil Stone	 (phil@eos.arc.nasa.gov | ames!eos!phil)

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (04/27/89)

In Message-ID: <3368@eos.UUCP>, phil@eos.UUCP (Phil Stone) writes:

>I finally got my Supra/Quantum 80 setup going, but I'm not sure
>if I'm running the Fast File System.  The software supplied with
>the Supra card did most of the work, but it didn't mention the
>Fast File System specifically (it's version 5.1, I think).
>
>Is there an easy way to tell if a partition is FFS?

  FastFileSystem partitions have to be mounted via the "MOUNT" command.
  Check your startup-sequence and mountlist.

>Also, it's not clear from the Enhancer manual how big the Slow
>File System partition has to be.  They give an example of one with
>the entire workbench on it - why would anyone want to do that?

  On my 2nd HD I use a partition of only 136K.  On the 1st (boot) HD
  I use a partition of 1.1M but its only 27% full.  My reason for
  having a large OFS partition is that the 2090A boots my Amiga from
  it ;-)

>I have a feeling these are stupid questions, but I RTFM, and I'm
>still in the dark.

   Hey you know that it took CBM alot of years to get their manuals
   that way. Matter of fact I think they have a copyright on confusing
   manuals :-)

   Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS

In re: how to determine UNAMBIGUOUSLY if one DOES have the FFS in use ...

I have a program named "makeML" which regenerates a Mountlist-equivalent file
from the in-memory disk info node.  Directory listing and sample output shown
below.

If you notice the last item (DOSType) in the output of makeML, the "...01"
indicates FFS is in use for this disk.  The hex value "444f5301" == "DOS<1>".
If the value was "444f5300", that'd be "DOS<0>" which is the old file system.

I have Supra 4x4 SCSI host adapters on all my Amigas; using Supra 5.1/5.3
software with AmigaDOS 1.3.  Disks include Maxtors, Quantums, LaPines,
Seagates, Miniscribes, etc.

The makeML has been in use (by me) for a l-o-n-g time and is reliable and safe;
the update in March was for the FFS ... it took me that long (from October) to
find enough contiguous free-time to back-up, reformat to FFS, and restore the
files on my lab system (over 1GB HD).

I'm willing to post the program source ONCE if there's any interest.  The flak
I received after posting the "purge" program recently indicates to me that
people care more for babble than for substance in this newsgroup, so I'd like
to know to WHERE the program should be posted (and I don't wanna hear: "where
the sun don't shine"! :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

------------------------------
output sample of makeML (recorded using HardCopy):

CLI7> ls -l sys:autotest/makem*
----ar-e- 89-03-05 17:27:19   15     7564 makeML
----ar--- 89-03-05 17:26:48   13     6579 makeML.c
Dirs:0   Files:2    Blocks:28    Bytes:14143
CLI7> sys:autotest/makeml dh24:
/* Table size = 16, sectors/block = 1
 * Size of a block = 128 longwords, 512 bytes
 * Formatted capacity = 53250 blocks, 27264000 bytes, 26625K, 26.0M
 * Unused defs: secorg = 0, prefac = 0
 */
dh24:       Device = harddisk.device
           Unit = 3
           Flags = 0
           Surfaces = 15
           BlocksPerTrack = 25
           Reserved = 2
           Interleave = 0
           LowCyl = 1081 ; HighCyl = 1222
           Buffers = 30
           BufMemType = 1 /* {2,3} = chip, {0,1} = fast */
           MaxTransfer = 65024
           Mask = ffffff
           BootPri = 0
           DOSType = 444f5301
#

dwi@manta.NOSC.MIL (Steve Stamper) (04/27/89)

In the installation/formatting software Supra provides, you have a little
series of boxes which choose the file system for you.  Choose Fast or
new filesystem there (i for get what they call it).  Make sure you have
FastFileSystem in your L: directory when you execute the SupraMount
Command.  Supra Stores all the partition info on the boot block.
You CANNOT boot directly into the FFS using Supras controller with 1.3
You should if you auto boot at all have one regular File System partition
and the rest of the partitions New or Fast File System (whatever they
call it).
-Roger

In <3368@eos.UUCP>, phil@eos.UUCP (Phil Stone) writes:
>I finally got my Supra/Quantum 80 setup going, but I'm not sure
>if I'm running the Fast File System.  The software supplied with
>the Supra card did most of the work, but it didn't mention the
>Fast File System specifically (it's version 5.1, I think).
>
>Is there an easy way to tell if a partition is FFS?

Yes. Make a file that's 500 bytes long, and copy it to your partition. Then
LIST the file with the BLOCKS option, as in 'LIST DHn:filename BLOCKS'. If it's
OFS, it will be 3 nblocks long. If FFS, it will be 2 blocks long. You could
also use Sectorama to look at sector 0. OFS will have $444F5300 in the first
longword. FFS will have $444F5301 in that spot.

>If I don't have it, do I just follow the instructions in the
>Enhancer manual, or do I need to do something special for the
>Supra software to be happy?

Not familiar enough with the Supra to help here.

>Also, it's not clear from the Enhancer manual how big the Slow
>File System partition has to be.  They give an example of one with
>the entire workbench on it - why would anyone want to do that?

The requirement for an OFS partition is not universal. Some units can boot from
an FFS partition. Depends entirely on the manufacturer, and how they did
things. If yours requirs the OFS partition, make it 'beig enough'. The reason
there is no hard and fast rule is that it all depends on what all needs to be
on the boot partition for your setup. Leave enough room for the
startup-sequence, system-configuration, and any programs needed before you
switch control to a FFS partition.

One of my boot partitions (I have three, so that I can still boot when I remove
a drive for any reason), is 88K, and has the following directory:

     c (dir)
       assign                         endcli
       mount                          newcli
       run
     L (dir)
       FastFileSystem
     devs (dir)
       hddisk.device                  mountlist
       system-configuration
     s (dir)
       hdstart                        hdstart2
       startup-sequence
     libs (dir)
       arp.library

I don't think the Supra uses the standard MOUNT command, so you may not need
MOUNT, devs/mountlist etc.

>I have a feeling these are stupid questions, but I RTFM, and I'm
>still in the dark.

It's a dark FM.

-larry

--
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
                  the roof and gets stuck.