outside of the box looked like the arcade version...
From: panzer@guava.ucsb.edu (Panzer, John Robert)

= John Panzer
= panzer@cornu.ucsb.edu
= panzer!apple.UUCP

bosch@dg.dg.com (Derek Bosch) (03/29/89)

In article <671@wsu-cs.uucp> jal@cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) writes:

>I didn't know there was an Empire Strikes Back game already implemented
>on the Amiga.  Is this true?

Actually, Star Wars & Empire Strikes Back were written for the Amiga by an English
software company Domark.  Both of these programs have been out in England since
last June!!!  Broderbund managed somehow to get the rights to the US release of
Star Wars, but Domark still has the rights to the US release of E. S. B..  I don't
know what is taking Broderbund so long to put their name on the title screen, but
it can't take 10 months 8^P

Still waiting to USE THE FORCE!!!

dzenc@hermes.ai.mit.edu (Daniel Zenchelsky) (03/30/89)

In article <671@wsu-cs.uucp> jal@cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) writes:

>I didn't know there was an Empire Strikes Back game already implemented
>on the Amiga.  Is this true?

Yes, I have seen Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of The Jedi
being played on an Amiga 500, I was at someones house and they had it, so I
know it exists. As to the legality of their copy, I have no idea.

-Dan

chu@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Wai Lan Chu) (03/30/89)

In article <671@wsu-cs.uucp>, jal@wsu-cs.uucp (Jason Leigh) writes:

> I didn't know there was an Empire Strikes Back game already implemented
> on the Amiga.  Is this true?

It's Very True!!

Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back AND Return Of The Jedi have been
implemented and marketed in Britain.

All Three Titles are available in British shops.

- WLC.

ljc@otter.hpl.hp.com (Lee Carter) (03/30/89)

Well, I don't know how much release times vary between here and the U.S.,
but I've got both Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back for my Amiga, Star Wars
I've had for about six months!
Return Of The Jedi is also out over here, but I haven't played it yet.
Not much use to you, but it does confirm that these games exist.
You could always order them by mail from a U.K. supplier, I 'spose...

Lee Carter.

ugmolik@sunybcs.uucp (Gregory Molik) (03/31/89)

I just got Star Wars yesterday and I was a little disappointed.  With the
amiga's capabilities, Broderbund could have easily made the game *exactly* like
the arcade version.  Joystick control on the game is impossible; the crosshairs
move too quickly on a little push of the joystick.  Mouse control is very good,
but, where can extra micro switches be purchased for the fire button?

The game opens with the 'Star Wars' logo on the screen and with the main theme
from the movie.  One channel was playing a bass and the other a trumpet,
really utilizing the amiga's capabilities.  There were some bright points in
the sound, they digitized the voice of Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Han
Solo (and possibly Darth Vader).

One problem that I noticed while fighting the Tie-fighters was their fireballs.
After you shot them, they changed from white and yellow to purple, and they
didn't disappear...  So I found myself shooting at the purple fireballs even
though they were already dead...

Flying through the Death Star yielded the same effect with the fire balls.  The
first couple times through is not that hard, but if you select the 'Hard
800000 bonus' at the beginning, you will have a hard time getting through.

The 'tower' board is same as the arcade game, and there's not much to say about
it.

After thoroughly playing this game, I can say that the only unrealistic part is
how the fireballs only change color.  Otherwise (excluding sound) the game is a
good duplicate of the arcade version.  It would have been nice if Broderbund
would have used the extra memory on the machines that had it.  The arcade
version had great sound, but this version falls short.

I like the game because I liked it in the arcade.  It will probably end up a
dull shoot'em-up for half the people...

(Please, no flames, this is only an opinion!)

Gregory Molik		BITNET: v054p9dd@ubvms	ugmolik@sunybcs
INTERNET: v054p9dd@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu  ugmolik@marvin.cs.buffalo.edu
...!sunybcs!ugmolik

carlson@betelgeuse (Richard L. Carlson) (04/01/89)

In article <120@dg.dg.com> bosch@dg.UUCP (Derek Bosch) writes:
>In article <671@wsu-cs.uucp> jal@cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) writes:
>>
>>I didn't know there was an Empire Strikes Back game already implemented
>>on the Amiga.  Is this true?
>Actually, Star Wars & Empire Strikes Back were written for the Amiga by an English
>software company Domark.  Both of these programs have been out in England since
>last June!!!  Broderbund managed somehow to get the rights to the US release of
>Star Wars, but Domark still has the rights to the US release of E. S. B..

Well, just to add to the confusion here, I bought both Star Wars and
Empire Strikes Back last year from the Winners Circle here in Berkeley.
And they were both the Domark version.  And I don't think either is worth
the money.

(1) Star Wars has poor sound (the different channels of the main theme
don't even match (!), one gets ahead of the others; not all of the voices
were digitized, and those that were were done poorly, often being chopped
off too soon); the game play is relatively slow and jerky; and the
graphics are not faithful to the original (e.g., the way the tie fighters
blow up when shot).  All together, a very crude port.  Maybe Broderbund
has cleaned the thing up?  Maybe my version wasn't the "real" release
version? (wouldn't that be interesting; it certainly cost me enough)

(2) Empire Strikes Back is inherently a much inferior game to Star Wars,
in terms of game play.  Parts of it (i.e. the meteor screen) are just
plain boring.  What really pains me is that this seems to be a much better
*port* than they did for Star Wars --- the sound, graphics, and game play
all seem to be pretty good.  (But be warned that I haven't seen an arcade
ESB in action, so the port might not be as authentic as I think.)

So, in summary, neither game offers good game play in both concept and
implementation.  I guess you'll just have to buy the arcade version :-).

-- Richard
   {tektronix,dual,sun,decvax,...}!ucbvax!ernie!carlson
   carlson@ernie.berkeley.edu

In article <120@dg.dg.com> bosch@dg.UUCP (Derek Bosch) writes:
-> Actually, Star Wars & Empire Strikes Back were written for the Amiga by
-> an English software company Domark.  Both of these programs have been
-> out in England since last June!!!  Broderbund managed somehow to get
-> the rights to the US release of Star Wars, but Domark still has the
-> rights to the US release of E. S. B..  I don't know what is taking
-> Broderbund so long to put their name on the title screen, but it can't
-> take 10 months
->
->Still waiting to USE THE FORCE!!!

For all of you who have seen this program, does it use a 256 line
screen? (PAL in otherwords) if so you might find it a bit depressing
on a 200 line NTSC screen. And _that_ could take some time to fix.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

In article <120@dg.dg.com> bosch@dg.UUCP (Derek Bosch) writes:
>...what is taking Broderbund so long...
		   ^^^^^^^^^^
>Still waiting to USE THE FORCE!!!
		  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	You have no idea how subtle this pun is.  Did you make it
intentionally?  If so, I'm impressed.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

disd@hubcap.clemson.edu (Gary Heffelfinger) (04/02/89)

From article <11194@well.UUCP>, by ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab):
> In article <120@dg.dg.com> bosch@dg.UUCP (Derek Bosch) writes:
>>...what is taking Broderbund so long...
> 		   ^^^^^^^^^^
>>Still waiting to USE THE FORCE!!!
> 		  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> 	You have no idea how subtle this pun is.  Did you make it
> intentionally?  If so, I'm impressed.

Okay, Leo.  I'll bite.  HUH?

Gary

--
Gary R Heffelfinger   -  disd@hubcap.clemson.edu
"If it should become necessary to fight, could you arrange to find me

bosch@dg.dg.com (Derek Bosch) (04/04/89)

In article <11194@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>In article <120@dg.dg.com> bosch@dg.UUCP (Derek Bosch) writes:
>>...what is taking Broderbund so long...
>		   ^^^^^^^^^^
>>Still waiting to USE THE FORCE!!!
>		  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>	You have no idea how subtle this pun is.  Did you make it
>intentionally?  If so, I'm impressed.
>
>Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

Pun?  What pun.  No it wasn't intentional.  I don't even get it.  BTW.  I did
finally get Star Wars.  As for an Amiga game, it isn't great.  But, since I
am a total addict of the arcade game, I love it.  Note for arcade Star Wars
experts, you probably will have a tough time playing it.  The towers section
patterns are totally different (and the tower tops aren't as easy to hit).
The tunnel crosswalk patterns look a bit different too, and it is really hard
to aim at fireballs while flying thru the tunnel (use the force, it is the
only way to go!!!)   So far 1,250,000 (died beginning level 7).

Derek Bosch   - Be careful, you might end up at the wrong end of a blowfish.
		(What's the right end of the blowfish???  J.Blaylock)

raz%kilowatt@Sun.COM (Steve -Raz- Berry) (04/04/89)

In article <4976@hubcap.clemson.edu> disd@hubcap.clemson.edu (Gary Heffelfinger) writes:
)From article <11194@well.UUCP>, by ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab):
)> In article <120@dg.dg.com> bosch@dg.UUCP (Derek Bosch) writes:
)))...what is taking Broderbund so long...
)) 		     ^^^^^^^^^^
)))Still waiting to USE THE FORCE!!!
)) 		    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

)) 	You have no idea how subtle this pun is.  Did you make it
)) intentionally?  If so, I'm impressed.

)Okay, Leo.  I'll bite.  HUH?

Perhaps Leo has been at his computer too long. It's also possible that
this should have been cross-posted to alt.sex & talk.bizzare. I refuse
to explain further. Leo, you have a sick mind.

)Gary R Heffelfinger   -  disd@hubcap.clemson.edu
)"If it should become necessary to fight, could you arrange to find me
)     some rocks to throw at them?"   W.T. Riker

This was a good episode^^^^. Who would have thought you could turn a computer
off?

Steve -Raz- Berry      Disclaimer: I didn't do nutin!
UUCP: sun!kilowatt!raz                    ARPA: raz%kilowatt.EBay@sun.com
"Fate, it protects little children, old women, and ships named Enterprize"

jal@wsu-cs.uucp (Jason Leigh) (05/01/89)

Well, I just picked up my copy of Star Wars from the Electronics Boutique
and apart from the silly musical box it came in, it plays furiously
enough for me to enjoy it.  Now here's the important question:

How do I make a backup copy of it?  (What combination of Marauder's
settings work?)

Thanks in anticipation.

Send replies to:
jal@zeus.cs.wayne.edu