[comp.sys.amiga] UUdecode - Can someone post binary?

brunjes@isctsse.UUCP (Roy Brunjes) (04/26/89)

I have looked for months for a copy of uudecode for the Amiga.  Can someone
please post the executable to comp.binaries.amiga PLEASE!  It shouldn't be
that big a file.  My apologies if it has already been posted -- I have been
reading this newsgroup for over a year and haven't seen it at my site.
Thanks again.

Roy Brunjes
...rochester!kodak!kadsma!brunjes

Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed are strictly my own, and not my
	     employer's.

page%rishathra@Sun.COM (Bob Page) (04/27/89)

brunjes@isctsse.UUCP (Roy Brunjes) wrote:
>please post the executable [of uudecode] to comp.binaries.amiga PLEASE!

That would be a trick.  You can't post binaries to USENET, as USENET
has only a 7-bit data path.  So most of the high bits would be stripped,
and you would not have much of an executable.

So, to post a binary to USENET, you have to somehow convert it to an
ASCII (7-bit) file.  The most popular way ot to UUENCODE it.  Now If I
posted a uuencoded binary of uudecode, would that help you?  Of course
not.

I could post the executable encoded with btoa, another encoding
scheme.  But thet you'd need atob to decode it...

It's chicken and egg problem, so you should get a uudecode executable
from your user group, your dealer, a BBS or a commercial service like
people/link.

Somebody once told me there was a BASIC version of UUDECODE floating
around.  If you know of it, or know how to get it, please let me know
so I can distribute it.

..bob

raz@kilowatt.uucp (Raz- Berry) (04/27/89)

[discussion of tail chasing when posting uuencoded binaries of uuencode...
  deleted]

Of course you could always post the source, there is a good uuencode/decode
distributed with UUCP/UseNet that comes with source. I'll take a look
and see if it is copywrited in any way. It should be ok to post in any case.

--
Steve -Raz- Berry      Disclaimer: I didn't do nutin!
UUCP: sun!kilowatt!raz                    ARPA: raz%kilowatt.EBay@sun.com

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Christopher Chiesa) (04/28/89)

In article <101354@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, page%rishathra@Sun.COM (Bob Page) writes:

> Somebody once told me there was a BASIC version of UUDECODE floating
> around.  If you know of it, or know how to get it, please let me know
> so I can distribute it.
>
> ..bob

That's an interesting point, and one that I hadn't thought of before: I have
a BASIC implementation of UUdecode for an Atari 8-bit computer; it ought to
be possible to translate it into, say, AmigaBasic, and use that to bootstrap
yourself into UUdecode operation.

Any takers, write to

    Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com

as the username posting this is not really "current" anymore.

--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP

joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) (04/28/89)

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Christopher Chiesa) writes:
>page%rishathra@Sun.COM (Bob Page) writes:
>>
>> Somebody once told me there was a BASIC version of UUDECODE floating
>> around.  If you know of it, or know how to get it, please let me know
>> so I can distribute it.
>>
>That's an interesting point, and one that I hadn't thought of before: I have
>a BASIC implementation of UUdecode for an Atari 8-bit computer; it ought to
>be possible to translate it into, say, AmigaBasic, and use that to bootstrap
>yourself into UUdecode operation.

Why are uuencode and uudecode considered such archane items?  My C source
code to uudecode is a whopping 184 lines, most of which is used to decide
what the name of the output file is supposed to be.  uuencode is 109.  But
every few months someone posts a message asking for versions that have been
Ported to the Amiga, or whatever.  Someone else needs a Pascal or a Basic
version.  And everyone talks about how there's one available from FTP or
They heard about one somewhere.

Granted, someone who doesn't know C very well may need to study the code
for 10 minutes before they're going to figure out what it's doing.  But
the amount of time it would take to port these guys to other languages is
probably less than the amount of time you spend looking for one that's
already ported.

Whatever.  Just sign me-

-Confused and Perplexed in Minneapolis.
--
Life is a cabaret (old chum).
UUCP: rutgers!dayton!joe   (Picts 1-13 are   DHDSC - Joe Larson/MIS 1060

rdnelson@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Roger D Nelson) (04/29/89)

In article <6522@dayton.UUCP> joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) writes:

>  [stuff re UUdecode deleted]

>Granted, someone who doesn't know C very well may need to study the code
>for 10 minutes before they're going to figure out what it's doing.  But
>the amount of time it would take to port these guys to other languages is
>probably less than the amount of time you spend looking for one that's
>already ported.

For those who don't know C at all, the executable can be found on Fish
disk number 38.

Roger Nelson   rdnelson@phoenix.princeton.edu

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (04/29/89)

In article <6522@dayton.UUCP>, joe@dayton (Joseph P. Larson) writes:
>Why are uuencode and uudecode considered such archane items?  ...
>And everyone talks about how there's one available from FTP ...

Well, since you brought it up...

Amiga sources and binaries for uu{en,de}code are available via
anonymous ftp from xanth.cs.odu.edu as /amiga/uucode.zoo.

Perhaps I need an emacs function for postings like this?  :-)

	...tad

joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) (04/30/89)

In article <8690@xanth.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:

>Amiga sources and binaries for uu{en,de}code are available via
>anonymous ftp from xanth.cs.odu.edu as /amiga/uucode.zoo.
>
>Perhaps I need an emacs function for postings like this?  :-)

Tad -- I know a lot of people have access to FTP, but a lot of us don't,
either!  It's all very fine to make these things available.  But please
don't assume that telling someone "It's available from anonymous FTP"
is going to do them a whit of good.  The people who have access to FTP
probably have a very good idea just what is and is not available.  The
rest of us couldn't care less -- it's just frustrating knowing all this
stuff is there just out of our reach.

Now, if you *really* wanted to be a Cool Guy, you could build up a
mail server so the rest of us could get stuff, too.  We just send
you a letter with a subject that says "mail index" or "mail file"
or whatever, and your server (which runs once a night or something)
could send us whatever it is we needed...

-J
--
Life is a cabaret (old chum).
UUCP: rutgers!dayton!joe   (Picts 1-13 are   DHDSC - Joe Larson/MIS 1060
ATT : (612) 375-3537       now ready.)       700 on the Mall, Mpls, Mn. 55402

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (05/01/89)

[ Warning: No longer an Amiga discussion... ]

In article <6526@dayton.UUCP>, joe@dayton (Joseph P. Larson) writes:
>Please
>don't assume that telling someone "It's available from anonymous FTP"
>is going to do them a whit of good.

By the ftp logs on xanth, telling people ``It's available via
anonymous ftp'' apparently is doing some good.  You're assuming my
message was to that person alone -- if that were the case, I would
have used mail.  I post the availability of something via ftp because
it's useful to many people...

If you're saying that I should do more than just point them to an ftp
repository, well, perhaps you're right.  However, I can't offer to
mail people the stuff I announce simply because I don't have the time
to handle the demand.  But read on...

>The people who have access to FTP
>probably have a very good idea just what is and is not available.

Not everyone knows what is available (probably because it is changing
all the time).  I can put a file up for ftp (such as uucode.zoo) and
the number of people retrieving it is minimal.  If it's mentioned in
comp.sys.amiga, the number of retrievals soars.

>The
>rest of us couldn't care less -- it's just frustrating knowing all this
>stuff is there just out of our reach.

So, you're suggesting that since you (and some others) can't ftp, that
I shouldn't announce when stuff is available via ftp?  Something's not
right with that logic...

Like drugs and guns, if you want something bad enough, you can get it.
All you have to do is find someone at an Internet site willing to ftp
and mail stuff to you (I see you have a link with Rutgers -- perhaps
you know someone there?), or you can subscribe to a service like
UUNET, which gives you access to stuff available via ftp.  All you
have to do it put out the effort...

And on April 26, in message <8636@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, I wrote:
>PS: Yes, I know not everyone can do anonymous ftp.  Watch this
>    newsgroup for an announcement about this, too... ;-)

Perhaps this means I'll be a ``*really* Cool Guy'' soon...

	...tad

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (05/01/89)

In article <8697@xanth.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:

>Like drugs and guns, if you want something bad enough, you can get it.
>All you have to do is find someone at an Internet site willing to ftp
>and mail stuff to you

WOW SHIT MON.

You, like, have a catalogue, duuuuude ?

Got any 'Ludes for ftp ? Or a temple ball or two ?

God, is this great or what?

I miss K*nt.

--
        ``The way to heaven is through weasel lore!'' - Ted Kaldis
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV