[comp.sys.amiga] Query about Amiga Forth's

marksm@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Mark S Madsen) (04/28/89)

Greetings, all. I have recently become interested in Forth, and wanted
to pose some questions to those more knowledgeable on the topic than
myself. Please excuse me if I am repeating questions that have recently
been dealt with in either of these groups.

I have what appears to be a freely distributable Forth implementation on
an Amuse disk. (It bears a header saying that it comes from Mountain
Valley Press.) However, there is no form of documentation supplied with
the program. VLIST shows a number of Amiga-specific commands, but I have
thus far been unable to discern their correct syntax, and so I am still
unable to save programs to disk, or load them. I was wondering whether
   a) Someone out there can give me a clue or three, or
   b) Mountain Valley Press will supply documentation.
In the latter case, could someone tell me the press's address, please?
It is given in the header, but the disk is 3 or 4 years old already, so
I suspect the info is dated.

I would also be interested to hear of any other Amiga Forth's, either
commercial or freely distributable, and what the net's opinions are. I
would really appreciate hearing more, especially since I am presently in
the too-many-books-and-not-enough-working-software stage of the learning
curve.

Thanks for reading this far.

thomson@wasatch.utah.edu (Rich Thomson) (04/30/89)

In article <934@syma.sussex.ac.uk> marksm@syma.susx.ac.uk
    (Mark S Madsen) writes:
>I have what appears to be a freely distributable Forth implementation on
>an Amuse disk. (It bears a header saying that it comes from Mountain
>Valley Press.)
 ^^^^^^ Do you mean Mountain View Press?

>I would also be interested to hear of any other Amiga Forth's, either
>commercial or freely distributable, and what the net's opinions are. I

I believe this is a demo version of Mountain View Press' FORTH that is
ported to the Amiga.  I am currently unaware of a commercial implementation
for the Amiga by MVP.  There are two commercial FORTH implementations for
the Amiga: CSI's Multi-FORTH and Delta Research's JFORTH.  I currently own
M-F but am planning on purchasing JF real soon now.  CSI created their
product as a spin-off from their Mac product.  Personally, I don't think
they see the Amiga as they main market and treat the product accordingly.
Their manual is nice in a tutorial sense but horrible in a reference and I
find it incomplete.  They also had a tendency to rename certain Amiga ROM
routine calls in preference of keeping the name for their own environment
(the most blatant example being a renaming of Intuition's OpenWindow to
iOpenWindow).  This causes a problem because you don't find out about the
changes without peering through their include files.  This should have been
clearly spelled out in a manual section; I fear it wasn't because the
manual was also lifted from the Mac product.  JF was developed specifically
for the Amiga environment and has a number of extensions that MF just can't
claim.  Of course, JF is more expensive than MF, but if I was making the
decision right now between the two I would buy JF with the things I know
now.

I am not aware of any documentation for the MVP FORTH that appeared on a
Fish Disk (I believe this is what you have), except that it is conforming
to the FORTH83 standard.  Other than that, you might have to contact MVP
for more information.

Of course, you might want to look at A4th which is a PD FORTH implementation
for the Amiga that is fully documented with source code, etc.  It's available
by anonymous FTP from cs.utah.edu in the pub/amiga directory.  In addition
you might want to check out the Amiga FORTH Programmer's Mailing List, of
which I am the humble maintainer.  Traffic has been low lately, but there
are back issues also available by FTP from the above address.

					-- Rich
--
Rich Thomson	thomson@cs.utah.edu  {bellcore,hplabs}!utah-cs!thomson
"Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (05/01/89)

In article <934@syma.sussex.ac.uk> marksm@syma.susx.ac.uk (Mark S Madsen) writes:
>I would also be interested to hear of any other Amiga Forth's, either
>commercial or freely distributable, and what the net's opinions are.

I highly recommend that you check out J-Forth. Interestingly enough,
the authors of J-Forth used it to win "The Fastest Programmers in the World"
contest a few months ago. (The contest was to program a 7 pixel row of LED's
that was swinging in an arc at a programmable rate, to display a Times Square
scrolling message that said "the rain in spain falls mainly on the plains"
by courtesy of stroboscopic motion blur, an impressive problem to solve in
only 1.5 hours.  They were the only ones to succeed within the 2 hour time
limit.)

They demonstrated it at BADGE (Bay Area Amiga Developers Group, Eh) and
it has some really extraordinary features. One of the more basic ones is
that it produces tightly optimized 68000 assembler so that it runs like
a bat out of hell, yet still supports the highly interactive "interpreter-
style" type of interface.

It looks like it just might be the most powerful language support system
available on the Amiga. I've always used C myself, and wish that some of
the J-Forth features were available for C. Word of mouth about J-Forth
has been highly complementary for some years now.
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt			Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow
{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug	Professional Wildeyed Visionary

"Of course, I'm no rocket scientist" -- Randell Jesup, Capt. Boinger Corps

jax@well.UUCP (Jack J. Woehr) (05/01/89)

In article <934@syma.sussex.ac.uk> marksm@syma.susx.ac.uk (Mark S Madsen) writes:
>   a) Someone out there can give me a clue or three, or

	want a clue? attend meetings at your local Forth Interest
Group chapter! Contact D.J. Neal, 58 Woodland Way, Morden, Surry SM4 4DS

>   b) Mountain Valley Press will supply documentation.

	Mountain View Press, P.O. Box 4656, Mountain View, CA 94040

>I would also be interested to hear of any other Amiga Forth's, either
>commercial or freely distributable, and what the net's opinions are.

	Best Commercial Amiga Forth: JForth Professional, Delta Research,
P.O. Box 1051, San Rafael, CA 94901

	Best PD Amiga Forth: A4TH1.5, available for downloading at many
fine telecom outlets including GEnie and the one mentioned below in
your correspondent's .sig \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{}                                                                        {}
{} jax@well     ." Sysop, Realtime Control and Forth Board"      FIG      {}
{} jax@chariot  ." (303) 278-0364 3/12/2400 8-n-1 24 hrs."     Chapter    {}
{} JAX on GEnie       ." Tell them JAX sent you!"             Coordinator {}
{}                                                                        {}
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

chayter@sabik.usc.edu (Carl J. Hayter) (05/01/89)

In article <934@syma.sussex.ac.uk> marksm@syma.susx.ac.uk (Mark S Madsen) writes:
*>Greetings, all. I have recently become interested in Forth, and wanted
*>to pose some questions to those more knowledgeable on the topic than
*>myself. Please excuse me if I am repeating questions that have recently
*>been dealt with in either of these groups.
*>
[...]

well, i taught myself forth with MVP-Forth by reading the source
code that was included on the disk.  if they will send documentation,
i don't know.  their address, i don't know.

however, there is hope, if some nice person will repost the FTP
site that has A4th, get it, documentation, includes, everything
that you could ever need or want.

----
: carl ." looking for a good time" ;