[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga vs Sega

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (04/09/89)

In article <SFT.89Apr5102001@ihlpa.ATT.COM> sft@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Scott Thompson) writes:
>Yeah, they trashed OutRun, the Amiga version, it could have been
>just like the arcade.  Pissed me off!

I seriously doubt it. Sega has some really nice scaling blitter chips in
the arcade machines. It's why they can have all kinds of stuff rushing at
you at high speeds.

I imagine eventually they will design microcomputer architectures so hardware
like this can be plugged into the bus. The Amiga is kind of stuck with it's
specialty chips.

In some Amigas, you'll soon be able to replace these with a slightly more
capable version of same, but it's nothing like what stuffing four scaling
blitters would do for it.

I'd love to see Sega's library code for their coin-op games.

Sean

--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Just another Monkey Boy.          {backbone site|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (04/21/89)

In article <39867@vax1.tcd.ie> rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>In article <11454@s.ms.uky.edu>, sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>> In article <SFT.89Apr5102001@ihlpa.ATT.COM> sft@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Scott Thompson) writes:
>>>Yeah, they trashed OutRun, the Amiga version, it could have been
>>>just like the arcade.  Pissed me off!
>>
>> I seriously doubt it. Sega has some really nice scaling blitter chips in
>> the arcade machines. It's why they can have all kinds of stuff rushing at
>> you at high speeds.
>
>Nonsense. The Amiga is easily capable of doing arcade-perfect Outrun. The
>Amiga version of Space Harrier is at least as good as the arcade version
>and Space Harrier requires the same sort of graphics manipulation as Outrun
>except more of it. It's just that the people who wrote Outrun were either
>lazy, incompetent or (being charitable) short of time/money. Nobody has come
>close to pushing the Amiga to its limits yet.

Nonsense.  OutRun pushes one or two 16Mhz 68000s and special blitter chips
to their max, not to mention doesn't have to run a multitasking operating
system.  No machine running one 8Mhz 68000, with a simple blitter and a
multitasking operating system is going to be able to match the arcade version,
not even the Amiga.

-Steve Bollinger

rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie (04/21/89)

In article <11454@s.ms.uky.edu>, sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
> In article <SFT.89Apr5102001@ihlpa.ATT.COM> sft@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Scott Thompson) writes:
>>Yeah, they trashed OutRun, the Amiga version, it could have been
>>just like the arcade.  Pissed me off!
>
> I seriously doubt it. Sega has some really nice scaling blitter chips in
> the arcade machines. It's why they can have all kinds of stuff rushing at
> you at high speeds.

Nonsense. The Amiga is easily capable of doing arcade-perfect Outrun. The
Amiga version of Space Harrier is at least as good as the arcade version
and Space Harrier requires the same sort of graphics manipulation as Outrun
except more of it. It's just that the people who wrote Outrun were either
lazy, incompetent or (being charitable) short of time/money. Nobody has come
close to pushing the Amiga to its limits yet.

"To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem"
Russell Wallace, Trinity College, Dublin
rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie

news@columbia.edu (The Daily News) (04/21/89)

line a little)
From: simon@cheshire (Thor Simon)

And yet, as another poster said, Space Harrier is if anything BETTER than the
arcade, on this same little Amiga... But the REAL problems with OutRun come
from its being ported over from the ST.  This means no real blitter support
AT ALL, and all the ST's stupid graphics limitations...

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (04/21/89)

In article <39867@vax1.tcd.ie> rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>In article <11454@s.ms.uky.edu>, sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>> In article <SFT.89Apr5102001@ihlpa.ATT.COM> sft@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Scott Thompson) writes:
>>>Yeah, they trashed OutRun, the Amiga version, it could have been
>>>just like the arcade.  Pissed me off!

>> I seriously doubt it. Sega has some really nice scaling blitter chips in
>> the arcade machines. It's why they can have all kinds of stuff rushing at
>> you at high speeds.

>Nonsense. The Amiga is easily capable of doing arcade-perfect Outrun.

Sigh. I wish people would actually read my stuff before they reply.

The Sega coin-ops are like an Amiga cubed. They have far better
hardware than the Amiga does. The scaling blitters are what make the
blowaway high speed 3D graphics possible. Yes, the Amiga can store
bitmaps and yes it can blit them to the screen really fast, but nowhere
near as fast as the Sega hardware can.  The Amiga doesn't even have the
bus bandwidth to keep up with the Sega games, much less the hardware!

That's why I said it would be nice to have a computer designed
specifically for the possibility of plugging various arcane devices
like this into the bus.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                         sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet
***  What, me worry?                    {backbone|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

news@swan.ulowell.edu (News manager) (04/22/89)

From article <42c01941.a590@mag.engin.umich.edu>, by billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (billkatt):
> In article <39867@vax1.tcd.ie> rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>>In article <11454@s.ms.uky.edu>, sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>>> In article <SFT.89Apr5102001@ihlpa.ATT.COM> sft@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Scott Thompson) writes:
>>Nonsense. The Amiga is easily capable of doing arcade-perfect Outrun. The
>>Amiga version of Space Harrier is at least as good as the arcade version
>>and Space Harrier requires the same sort of graphics manipulation as Outrun
>>except more of it. It's just that the people who wrote Outrun were either
>>lazy, incompetent or (being charitable) short of time/money. Nobody has come
>>close to pushing the Amiga to its limits yet.

> Nonsense.  OutRun pushes one or two 16Mhz 68000s and special blitter chips
> to their max, not to mention doesn't have to run a multitasking operating
> system.  No machine running one 8Mhz 68000, with a simple blitter and a
> multitasking operating system is going to be able to match the arcade version,
> not even the Amiga.

Nonsense, why run the OS is one is playing an Arcade game.  Most
games to ditch the OS as soon as they can.  I really think it depends
on the game as to weather this is acceptable or not.  Clearly text
adventures can run conncurrently with the OS.  But, anyway.
Don't forget that the Amiga bus is running at 14Mhz, and there
there is more than blitters in that box.

	Lastly in this group someone did mention that they have seen
Space Harrier on the Amy and that he/she thought it was better and
faster than the arcade version.  Have you seen it on the Amiga?  Do
you concur?

Ross

.

In article <42c01941.a590@mag.engin.umich.edu> (billkatt) writes:
>Nonsense.  OutRun pushes one or two 16Mhz 68000s and special blitter chips
>to their max, not to mention doesn't have to run a multitasking operating
>system.  No machine running one 8Mhz 68000, with a simple blitter and a
>multitasking operating system is going to be able to match the arcade version,
>not even the Amiga.
>-Steve Bollinger

This presupposes that the Amiga has a "simple" blitter, which in fact is not
the case, nor does it acknowledge the contribution of the Copper to the
equation which makes some operations that would be difficult on a blitter
fairly easy. For one, you needn't "blit" the car onto the scenery you can
just display it there by having the copper switch the point at which memory
is displayed, on the line where the car appears. Or you can use all the
8 sprites as a 64 X n X 16 color bitmap to represent the car, while still
using them in other places above and below the car.

I think the only statement one could reasonably be accurate in making
would be "Given the same programmer, the Amiga could not do what a
dual 16Mhz 68000 with blitters graphic system can do." However, the
key is _same programmer_ which is so rarely the case.

The statement made earlier about no one having pushed the Amiga to it's
limits is correct.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie (04/29/89)

In article <11555@s.ms.uky.edu>, sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
> In article <39867@vax1.tcd.ie> rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>>In article <11454@s.ms.uky.edu>, sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>>> I seriously doubt it. Sega has some really nice scaling blitter chips in
>>> the arcade machines. It's why they can have all kinds of stuff rushing at
>>> you at high speeds.
>
>>Nonsense. The Amiga is easily capable of doing arcade-perfect Outrun.
>
> Sigh. I wish people would actually read my stuff before they reply.
>
> The Sega coin-ops are like an Amiga cubed. They have far better
> hardware than the Amiga does. The scaling blitters are what make the
> blowaway high speed 3D graphics possible. Yes, the Amiga can store
> bitmaps and yes it can blit them to the screen really fast, but nowhere
> near as fast as the Sega hardware can.  The Amiga doesn't even have the
> bus bandwidth to keep up with the Sega games, much less the hardware!

A Sega arcade machine pushed to its limits could probably outperform an Amiga
pushed to its limits (even without the copper and sprites), though of course
if you had a 68020 running in 32-bit RAM at the same time as the blitter was
working it would be a different story ... this would still cost less than a
Sega. My point is that both systems are capable of far more than they've ever
been used for. It's like back on the Commodore 64 ... there was an article
in a magazine that claimed a game called Beach-Head proved that "the aging
64 has now been pushed to its absolute limits" (Commodore User, can't remember
the issue). Now there are games on the 64 that blow away anything dreamed of
in those days. The Amiga has already done games (Roadwars, Interceptor, Space
Harrier) that compare well with the arcade Out Run, and the machine is a lot
younger and has a lot less of its potential tapped than the 64 was when that
statement was made about it. And the Amiga has the advantage because
thousands of programmers have access to the machine for many years so the
pool of programming talent is far greater.

wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp) (05/02/89)

In article <40513@vax1.tcd.ie>, rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie writes:

> A Sega arcade machine pushed to its limits could probably outperform an Amiga
> pushed to its limits (even without the copper and sprites), though of course
> if you had a 68020 running in 32-bit RAM at the same time as the blitter was
> working it would be a different story ... this would still cost less than a
> Sega. My point is that both systems are capable of far more than they've ever
> been used for.

I take it you never done any of the kind of programming that you are
talking about, because you are 100% out to lunch.  You see if the way
the Amiga is designed you can't use 68020 whatever to enhance the blitter
performance for by even 1%.  Besides there are a great many things that
can't be done with just the blitter.  In fact if the 68020 is making the
graphics, there is most likely little that can be done with the blitter.
(The above all relate to high resolution graphics on the amiga and doesn't
apply to 4 color low resolution graphics)

The problem is the CHIP/Fast RAM partitions in the Amiga.  The blitter
can't use fast RAM, and the 68020 can't use chip RAM very quickly if
the blitter is running.  The only way around this problem is to run in
low res. 4 color mode, then things work smoothly.  However 4 color low
res. is hardly pushing the limits.

Maybe an Amiga 3000 might look like this:

   --------------               ******************
   | Custom     |--|--------|   *                *    |------|
   |  Chips     |  | Master |---* FAST 32bit RAM *----|Slave |--|.....|
   --------------  |  MMU   |   *                *    | MMU  |  | CPU |
                   ----------   ******************    |------|  |.....|

  * Only one big pool of memory
  * Custom Chips or CPU only hog a page at a time, limiting CYCLE STEALING
  * No more out of chip ram problems
  * Opens the door to many great improvements:
      - .8 ucron CMOS blazing fast Custom Chips
      -  faster, wider RAM
      -  faster CPU's
      -  one could be changed without the other.

Anyway I think a lot of people are pushing the limits of the Amiga, and
basic redesign could really help.

                                   Wayne Knapp