[comp.sys.amiga] NIB 1.0

ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) (04/27/89)

There have been a few questions regarding NIB 1.0.  I will throw
in my $0.02 worth.

This is a SHAREWARE program that is going to go commercial some
time this summer.  Currently the author requests $16 to register it, and
then you will get version 2 for free as well as the first upgrade
to version 2.  The commercially distributed price will be about
$39 (this is in the readme file with the program).

NIB 1.0 - Nibble is a backup program ala Marauder in that it
will do a normal copy, a NIBBLE copy and also comes with parameter
settings (list) for various software titles.  The program
is relatively small and is very user friendly.  It works
like a champ.  Using the paramter mode I was able to back up my
Dungeon Master original (and I hated playing with the original).
Also using the parameter mode, I was able to back up my disk 1
of Falcon.  SO what you ask, well not only will it back up the program
(Falcon disk 1 is example here), but it will also REMOVE the copy protection
if it can.  On my Falcon disk, after backing it up, I no longer have to
enter the word-from-the-manual-now-where-in-the-hell-did-I-put-it
password protection.  THe paramter list is quite extensive, and will be updated
in the next version.  IT contains lots of newer titles as well as
some old favorites.

I highly reccomend it to anyone that does not like running their programs
off the originals and have not found a way to copy them yet.

It will also run from a hard drive with no problems.

George

(just a satisfied user - no connections with author or product)

--
(Why do we drive on our parkways and park on our driveways?)
Idiots?  They're worse than idiots.  They're bureaucrats!!

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (04/27/89)

Be advised that NIB 1.0 requires 2 3.5" drives. They claim that
version 2.0 (The one you will have to pay for) will support
single drive copying.

    "What is another word for 'Thesaurus'?"  Steven Wright

                          Dave Lowrey
                          Amdahl Corp.
                          Houston, Texas
                          (713)-850-8828
                         ...!{ames,sun,decwrl,uunet,....}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (04/28/89)

ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) writes:
> NIB 1.0 - Nibble is a backup program ala Marauder
> The program is relatively small and is very user friendly.
					 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So far I've found at least two blunders in the user interface department:

1) The program doesn't work on one-floppy systems (like my 1000).
Fine.  But the program doesn't tell you this right off the bat, even
though it KNOWS you have only one drive (the source/dest buttons are
both set on "df0" and you cannot change them).  You have to actually
attempt to start a copy before it brings up a requester telling you
to give up.

2) The program can't figure out when the write-protect tab of the disk
is set.  Even DISKCOPY does this.  Instead, it tries to write track
after track, posting errors on the display as it goes.

Those are the only two I've found so far...I've only tried to use the
program twice so far.

--
Michael Portuesi * Information Technology Center * Carnegie Mellon University
INET: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu * BITNET: mp1u+@andrew

"Why do I live the way I do
 ain't it obvious I'm just a man like you"	--Boy George

) Seaman) (05/02/89)

I am happy to hear all the wonderful things about NIB, and look forward
to its commercial release.  However, all this does not help me, as my
original Dungeon Master disk is starting to flake out, and, since I
have no FTP access, I can't 'ftp it'.

WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE POST THE PROGRAM TO THE NET, PLEASE????????
Or even e-mail me a postal address, and I'll send a disk, with postage,
so NIB can be sent to me.

HEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!!

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |   o\  /o                See
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or>           |     ||     "Attack of the Killer Smiley"!