[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore says the 2090/2090A has a major BUG!

joseph@garfield.MUN.EDU (Joseph Dawson) (04/23/89)

Hi,

We have been having a lot of problems around St. John's with hard
disk errors.  All of our Amiga 2000 users are using 2090/2090A
controllers.  So we all went to the two major Amiga stores and
tooled them of our problems.  They in turn phoned Commodore Canada
and asked why we where having such a bad time.  For the longest
time Commodore would tell us that we must have done something wrong
with out Mountlists.  When we asked them to look at our mountlists
Commodore could not find an error.

Finally after about one year of getting on Commodore's back,
Commodore Canada has admitted to us that there is a BUG with the
2090A and that they have a new chip set coming out for the 2090A.
The bug with the 2090/2090A chip set would/could cause problems
with some brads of hard disk.  They say that the new chip set will
let your Amiga use Rodnim(sp?) hard disks and a few others that
they have testes.  They made it quite clear that the MiniScribe was
one of the hard disk that would not work with the 2090/2090A, even
with the new chip set you will not be able to use the MiniScribe
hard disks.

One last comment that the guy from Commodore made really hit home
with the type of logic that the company lives on, "We can't tell
you about errors in the system, until such time as we have the
errors solved".  With a company working on logic like that I am
shocked that anyone would buy anything from them.

The new chip set will still use the same DMA as the old one was
using, but the problem did have to do with some odd video bits
getting put on your hard disk.

They aren't going to charge me for the new chips, and I really hope
they don't charge anyone else for the errors that they have made.
The loss of data and the lies of Commodore will always make me
think twice when dealing with the company again.

Joseph Dawson
Computer Programmer

pboudrea@topaz.rutgers.edu (Boudreau) (04/23/89)

>they have testes.  They made it quite clear that the MiniScribe was
>one of the hard disk that would not work with the 2090/2090A, even
>with the new chip set you will not be able to use the MiniScribe
>hard disks.

Gee, thats funny.  I've been using a Miniscribe hard disk with my 2090
since I bought it.  Care to elaborate?

bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer @ Wit's End) (04/23/89)

In article <5186@garfield.MUN.EDU> joseph@garfield.MUN.EDU (Joseph Dawson) writes:
=-with some brads of hard disk.  They say that the new chip set will
=-let your Amiga use Rodnim(sp?) hard disks and a few others that
			^-No, Nimrod.

=-they have testes.  They made it quite clear that the MiniScribe was
=-one of the hard disk that would not work with the 2090/2090A, even
=-with the new chip set you will not be able to use the MiniScribe
=-hard disks.
=-
	Complete nonsense;  I and several others that I know of have used/are
using Miniscribe drives with the 2090 (ST 506).  You should be careful about
posting things based on third hand hearsay, especially when it's been filtered
by a dealer, most of whom are notoriously incompetent.  And definitely leave
people's gonads out of the discussion; this isn't alt.sex, after all.
/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
_No dark sarcasm in the classroom|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|___
|____Teachers leave the kids alone__|_____|_____|_____|_bryan@cs.utexas.edu___|
___|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|{vertebrae...}!cs.utexas.edu!bryan_|___
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

halo@cognos.UUCP (Hal O'Connell) (04/26/89)

In article <Apr.22.18.13.31.1989.16042@topaz.rutgers.edu> pboudrea@topaz.rutgers.edu (Boudreau) writes:
>>they have testes.  They made it quite clear that the MiniScribe was
>>one of the hard disk that would not work with the 2090/2090A, even
>>with the new chip set you will not be able to use the MiniScribe
>>hard disks.
>
>Gee, thats funny.  I've been using a Miniscribe hard disk with my 2090
>since I bought it.  Care to elaborate?

Me too.

In fact, it was the drive of choice for the Amiga technicians who helped
configure my 2000. It is running on the 2090, 3 partitions, no problems.

Mind you, it was a pain to partition with 1.3 simply because the initial
setup simply used Binddrivers with no explicit Mount information, so
I had to fiddle to get the Prep parameters.

I'd really like to get an elaboration on this.

--
Hal O'Connell                           Cognos Incorporated
UUCP:  uunet!mitel!sce!cognos!halo      P.O. Box 9707

jason@ziebmef.uucp (Jason Gould) (04/30/89)

In article <5186@garfield.MUN.EDU> joseph@garfield.MUN.EDU (Joseph Dawson) writes:
> [lots of stuff deleted]
>they have testes.  They made it quite clear that the MiniScribe was
>one of the hard disk that would not work with the 2090/2090A, even
>with the new chip set you will not be able to use the MiniScribe
>hard disks.
> [more stuff deleted]

  I've been running a 2000 equipted with a MiniScribe drive & 2090A ever
since August without any problems; and more importantly, Commodore Canada
configured my system!!!! I doubt they would of fitted my 2000 with the
MiniScribe drive if they thought there were any problems with it.

--
Jason Gould                        ....!{utcsri,attcan}!tmsoft!ziebmef!jason
jason@ziebmef.UUCP	     				  ENVOY 100: JASON.G

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (05/03/89)

Really ... I've got a MiniScribe on my 2090A too!

I've tried a CDC Wren II (full-height 80 meg 28 ms) which wouldn't
work on the 2090A and the MiniScribe (forget the model number) which
originally came with my 3b1.  I have the CDC in the 3b1 now and
the miniscribe in the Amiga.  Unfortunately the CDC is flaky :-(

The miniscribe works *fine* though.
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET